Good Salads at DLR?

HappyGrape

DIS Veteran
Any recommendations for TS or QS or nearby in the parks, downtown Disney or nearby hotels? Anywhere with good salads or well prepared veggies

Last edited:
There's a good salad at Jolly Holiday called the Jolly Holiday Salad. I also had a really good salad at Village Haus, but that has a menu change right now.

Bengal Barbecue has grilled meat and grilled vegetable skewers which are very good.

Rancho del Zocalo has some chicken street tacos that you can swap out the side rice and beans for vegetables. The vegetables there were overcooked, but it still seemed like a healthier choice than what is offered most places.

Paradise Garden Grill in DCA used to have some good greek food, but I just looked at the online menu and it is only showing corn dogs and other deep fried stuff. It looks like the normal corn dog place is closed for refurbishment and Paradise Garden Grill is covering for them. So, maybe check when you visit and see if they go back to the regular menu.

I haven't had it, so not sure how "healthy" it is, but they have a portobelo mushroom philly at Award Wieners that sounds like it would be alright if you left the cheese off.

I've found that food tends to be better at DCA and with more healthful options. I simply split everything with my son throughout the day. Smaller portions, combined with walking, seems to do the trick. If we head off site we stop at Thuyền Viên Restaurant - all vegetarian Vietnamese food. If we're sticking to DTD, then Uva Wine Bar has some nice dishes that work for us.

We usually stay at the FFI - you can get turkey breast or grilled chicken breast sandwiches at Panera or McDonalds. They have grilled chicken salads as well.

Bengal BBQ at DL for the skewers and veggies. There are fruit carts in both parks that serve chilled fruit that's really yummy on a hot day. Same for Filmore's in Cars Land and whatever that little shop/fresh fruit place is by Indy/Jungle Cruise that I can never remember the name of. The Hungry Bear has a good salad.

There are some great salads at Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA. If you're doing low carb, both parks have turkey legs. Wine Country has some fairly healthy options.

Its Disneyland. Suspend your diet and eat whatever you want. Get churros and dole whips and corn dogs and whatever. You only live once. But I do recommend the vegetable skewer at Bengal Barbecue regardless of whether you are eating healthy or not. That thing is tasty.

I agree with tarheelalum. When we go on our usual family trip to DLR next year, it will be without our precious 6 year old granddaughter who passed away on April 12. We will eat what we want, buy whatever we want, stay wherever we want, and cherish every moment.

Its Disneyland. Suspend your diet and eat whatever you want. Get churros and dole whips and corn dogs and whatever.

What works for some doesn't work for others. I don't enjoy spending my day feeling overly full and gross, and that's how I feel when I eat whatever I want. And if you're a more regular park-goer, as we have been in the past, it isn't a once in a lifetime thing anymore, and what you do at the parks becomes what you do between the visits at the parks. Know thyself, is a great way to figure out what one should do.

Nanny, I'm so sorry about your granddaughter.

@NannyBeBe: Sincere condolences on the loss of your dear granddaughter.

For the OP: Since this is California, you'll find lots of salad choices at most restaurants in the parks and in DtD. Check the menus on allears.net to see what the salad choices are around DLR. We like the Greek salad at Paradise Garden Grill and the grilled veggie salad with quinoa at Jolly Holiday. My sister is very fond of the chef's salad at Plaza Inn. The salad at RDZ is quite tasty and can be customized.
One way to enjoy treats and still be mindful about healthy eating is to share. DH and I share just about all food at DLR, meals and treats, so that we get to try more things while still keeping portions under control.
(Also, the common abbreviation is DLR -- just in case other DISers want to reference this thread by doing a search.)

Its Disneyland. Suspend your diet and eat whatever you want. Get churros and dole whips and corn dogs and whatever. You only live once. But I do recommend the vegetable skewer at Bengal Barbecue regardless of whether you are eating healthy or not. That thing is tasty.

I like eating my veggies! Would you believe that I am not fan of churros and would take good salad anytime! I never had corn dog and doesn't look like something I would enjoy

Generally, if I don't get a good portion of veggies and fruits for a full day I don't feel as well as if I do. Feels ok to skip them for one of my meals but I crave them for the next one. I actually want to eat well prepared veggies and tasty fruit, so the bengal barbecue skewer sounds something for my to do list - thank you!

I am so trying the monte crsito sandwich but figured few salads can be good too.

Last edited:
@NannyBeBe: Sincere condolences on the loss of your dear granddaughter.

For the OP: Since this is California, you'll find lots of salad choices at most restaurants in the parks and in DtD. Check the menus on allears.net to see what the salad choices are around DLR. We like the Greek salad at Paradise Garden Grill and the grilled veggie salad with quinoa at Jolly Holiday. My sister is very fond of the chef's salad at Plaza Inn. The salad at RDZ is quite tasty and can be customized.
One way to enjoy treats and still be mindful about healthy eating is to share. DH and I share just about all food at DLR, meals and treats, so that we get to try more things while still keeping portions under control.
(Also, the common abbreviation is DLR -- just in case other DISers want to reference this thread by doing a search.)

I will change the title, thanks for flagging this to me

I haven't been in Disnelyland California but I recall fantastic salads form our LA trip. I plan to share treats but a good salad for me can be treat too! Thanks for your suggestions

If possible, bring fruit and veggies with you to the park, because what they charge is highway robbery. Grapes come as the sides for a lot of things and apple slices are an option with meals that come with fries. You could supplement with other fruit that you carry in. Or ask for CS sandwiches and burgers a la carte, so no side, even if it's apples. You can also get sides a la carte, so side salad at Jolly Holiday or fruit salad at Flo's. Many of DLR's salads aren't all that healthy, though. Served in a bread bowl, or dressings that are pure sugar in addition to lots of sugar in the salad, like piles raisins and craisins in many salads because it's sponsored. The tofu bowl at Lucky Fortune also has more veggies than a lot of other CS meals. They used to have an off menu yuzu sauce for allergies. I'd ask about that, probably healthier than teriyaki and the other heavier sauces.

Yes, salad dressing can be a deceptive downfall to healthy eating, so we always ask for ours on the side. That way we can determine how much we want according to how salty/sweet the dressing is. Worst case scenario, we've been known to ask for lemon slices to squeeze over a salad instead of using dressing. Usually limiting the amount of dressing is enough.

Last edited:
Yes, salad dressing can be a deceptive downfall to healthy eating, so we always ask for ours on the side. That way we can determine how much we want according to how salty/sweet the dressing is. Worst case scenario, we've been know to ask for lemon slices to squeeze over a salad instead of using dressing. Usually limiting the amount of dressing is enough.
A lot of the DLR salads are deceptive. That apple nut salad that a few places have had has apples, cheese, sugar covered nuts, raisins and craisns and a sugar laden yogurt dressing. If someone needs to limit sugar, taking half the bread off a sandwich is probably a better choice.

I had some fantastic pineapple spears in Adventure Land near the Jungle Cruise. So yummy and refreshing on a hot day. I also love the skewers at Bengal BBQ. We have a toddler so we always carry in lots of food and snacks, including fruit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter