Good rides for the child scared of going on big roller coasters/drop zone/etc.?

VitTO

Earning My Ears
Hello,

My 8 years old daughter is scared of going on big roller coasters/drop zone/etc., so I am planning the trip around that. I don't plan on getting Genie+, going more for Christmas spirit and once in a lifetime experience. I drove by Disney World about 10 years ago on Christmas day, as saw the car cues starting from the highway - so I more or less know what to expect in terms of crowds. We definitely won't be getting on every ride in the park :)

We will be going by public bus (Lynx) from AirBNB in Kissimmee. I doubt we would get there for the rope drop. Going in the 3rd week of December, I am fully aware the crowds will start building up. I have 7 day passes I bought 5-6 years ago that are not expiring (from AirMiles in Canada), but after the first use I have 2 weeks to use them. I will call (407) 939-4357 to link the tickets to my account on Monday and than reserve the parks in the app.

Could you please let me know the following:

1. Which rides would not be good for a kid who is scared of big roller coasters/drop zone/etc.? What would be the most local way to go about the following rides?

Magic Kingdom:
In Adventure land start with Pirates of the Caribbean; than do the Magic Carpets of Aladin and Jungle cruise.
In Frontier land - Big Thunder Mountain railroad (either early or just before closing); Tom Sawyer island (can just walk through it).
Liberty Square - take River Boat, and go to Haunted Mansion if there’s time.
Fantasyland - Cinderella castle, Peter’s Pan flight, It’s a small world, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Under the Sea - the Journey of Little Marmaid.

Epcot:
Norway - Frozen Ever After - go here as soon as as the park opens
After go to: World Discovery - Mission: Space (Green Mission around the Earth), Test Track, Guardians of Galaxy (if time).
World Nature - in the Seas with Nemo and Friends, go to Caribbean Coral Reef; in the Land - Living with the Land

Animal Kingdom:
Pandora - Avatar Flight of Passage
Africa - Kilimanjaro Safari, at the end walk to Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail
Asia - Maharajah Jungle Trek

Hollywood Studios
Mickey and Minnie's Runway Railway
Millenium Falcon Smugglers run
Star Wars Rise of Resistance
Toy Story Mania

2. We won't be park hopping. I am thinking to allocate the time the following way:
Magic Kingdom - 3 days
Epcot - 2 days
Animal Kingdom - 1 day
Hollywood Studios -1 day

Does that sound about right?
Would the parks be typically fully booked closer to Christmas, so I won't be able to change a day or two out?

3. Are there dedicated bus lanes for public buses (Lynx) or would we be stuck with everyone else trying to drive there?

Thanks in advance!

Just in case FYI, both Pirates and Rise have small drops. It's a second or two at most but they are there. Pirates' is a small slide in the boat and Rise is a vertical drop.

Sounds very like my 8 year old niece. We went on a family holiday to Disneyland Paris at Halloween.

She had previously had a bad experience at a Haunted House and a traditional rollercoaster in a local themepark. My sister sent me the video from the rollercoaster, its funny in an OMG the poor child kinda way.

We had 2 full days and the departure morning.

We spent most of the first day in Fantasyland. Everything there was a big hit.

Other than Fantasyland, Star Tours and Pirates were requested repeats.

Pin trading and character meets and the parade were also a big hit.

For your trip I would skip
  1. Big Thunder Mountain
  2. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train,
  3. Mission: Space (Green Mission around the Earth),
  4. Test Track,
  5. Guardians of Galaxy
  6. Avatar Flight of Passage
Ratatouille was also a big hit with my niece, she thought the whole track less ride and the 4D effects was just so cool.

I was the main park planner and tour guide and I used the App constantly. My niece loved being allowed to use the App on my phone to check wait times and help decide what to do next.

She had saved her pocket money and had spending money so we also allocated some shopping time, which she loved.

I know Disney parks very, so I was able to explain to my niece about the ride, for example Star Tours, its a pod, you were 3D glasses, you watch the screen and the pod moves around following the action. My niece loved Star Tours and went on it multiple times with different people in our party. She loved how each time was a new adventure.

Our Disneyland Paris trip was mainly for my niece. Me, personally I missed out on many things I normally do on my solo visits to Disneyland California.
I usually rope drop to park close. On this trip we didnt get to the parks until 9am or later.
We had a meal plan, which included a buffet breakfast as my sister wanted my niece to have a good breakfast and to eat evening meal around the same time as at home.
We did character meets and the parades, I rarely do these.

You need to be realistic, with an 8 year old, you are not going to have the same kind of park day as you would if it was just adults.

Last edited:
On question #2:
I would recommend 2 days for Magic Kingdom and 2 days for Hollywood Studios (especially if you are interested in the Hollywood Studios shows of Beauty & the Beast, Frozen Sing-a-Long, and Indiana Jones Stunt Show).

The park availability calender was all green from Easter up until last week (when 2 or 3 days went yellow, showing no Magic Kingdom availability). You can always check it out at: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/a...kets,resort,passholder&defaultSegment=tickets

I see that December 31 has just recently gone yellow again due to no MK availability. Since you are going at very busy time, it's probably best to reserve 3 days for MK, and then you should be able to switch one of them last minute to HS if you decide to do that.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I looked at the crowd calendars, and a couple of them show moderate crowds at Magic Kingdom on December 21st and 22nd, as opposed to more crowded on other days. Is this because it’s closing at 6pm? Or are they basing it on the cold weather snap in 2022 when less people showed up for a couple of days simply because it was cold?

Last edited:
If those are Christmas party days then that’s probably why they’re predicting lower crowds those days. We just rop dropped MK on a MVMCP day and I couldn’t believe how empty the park was. Very low wait times for rides until later in the day.

I found that my 9 year old that did not like roller coasters was excited to "try" one once is Disney World. After the first few days she got the nerve to go on 7 dwarf's It a good starting "real" roller. However if she is not wanting to try a roller coaster I would not do it. I can handle every ride and Flight of Passage makes me sick. Have fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter