• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good hotel in Vegas with two small children?

canadianmommyof2

Mouseketeer
Hi,

We will be stopping in Vegas for two nights on our way back to Canada from Disneyland and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good hotel for kids. I know Vegas isn't really the place for children but I figured I have never been there and we have to go through it to get home so why not :confused3 I'm thinking that the strip would be nice but I really would like something with a great pool and good pool hours, I think the kids would enjoy seeing some of the other hotels like new york, new york, paris, etc and they would enjoy the water fountains as well. Any recommendations?? We will be there from June 2 - June 4.

i'm told that excalibur is very family friendly (lots of good deals, saw rates under $60 night for end of June); pool is being rennovated.

located between Luxor & NYNY, across corner from MGM & lion habitat (free)

circus circus has current deal for $30 a night our dates, it's far north on strip

there's even a current promo out for bally's almost 1/2 off $50 night

lots of links listed in this board for the different discount sites that list codes:thumbsup2

We're going during the May Victoria Day long weekend, with my family (DH, me and 2 DDs ages 9 and 12), my elderly parents, and my brother's family (with SIL and baby age 8 mos).

We chose the MGM Signature. There are 3 new towers (built in the past 2 years, with Tower 3 being the newest) behind the MGM hotel. I got a rate of $149 (includes taxes, resort fee, and housecleaning fee) for a Jr. Suite. It has a kitchen and laundry facilities. There also is a cafe, a Starbucks, and pool. And if your kids get bored of the pool at the towers, you can also use the MGM hotel pool, which I think is a lazy river pool.

With kids, I liked being close to the strip but not too close. I rented through a Las Vegas REMAX agent who manages about 90 units at the MGM Sig. If you're interested, you can PM me. She's got some good rates compared to the rack rates on the hotel's website.

Also, you can read on Tripadvisor.com for reviews on the MGM Signature.

I would say EXCALIBUR too, the new renovated rooms are nice and the hotel is kid friendly. NYNY would be fine too as would MGM. I would stay away from the Luxor with kids. I prefer staying at the south end of the strip, Circus Circus/Strat is too far north for me.

I would definately go with the MGM Grand because of the pools including a lazy river pool and a shallow pool for kids. MGM has the lions, rainforest cafe, it's next to M&M world, across from Excalibur and has a monorail station. It's just a great location.

i'm told that excalibur is very family friendly (lots of good deals, saw rates under $60 night for end of June); pool is being rennovated.

circus circus has current deal for $30 a night our dates, it's far north on strip

circus circus is having a free night offer going on!!!

Be sure to check for any "additional guest" fees. We wanted to book a room at Treasure Island as we are seeing a late Cirque show there. They wanted an extra $60 for our 2 kids. I can stand the $179 rate (Sat night) but it just gags me to pay extra for kids; never did this in our many travels. They said all Vegas hotels do. :mad:
We ended up getting the Hyatt Place just off the strip for $89 incl taxes and has free cont. breakfast. We really just need a clean place to sleep before our drive to Sedona in the morning so we didn't want to spend $300!:headache:

btw, I see that your dates have passed. How was it? Where did you choose?

I would say the excalibur as well, there's stuff for non gamblers there,
or you could stay at the cirus circus, the have an indoor roller coaster.

Rudy

We got back on Sunday from the MGM. The pool complex is huge but is definetely NOT for children or at tleast it was not when we were there. It was wall to wall drunk college age folks. There were Jello shooters, beer bottles and other garbage all over. There were couples chicken fighting in the pool, the men carrying the women on thier shoulders took it upon themselves to pull off the other womens tops and even untied some bottoms at one point. While the staff did ask them to put clothes back on it happened over and over, The place was filthy and the language of the folks at the pools and river was very "R" to "X" rated. My dh at one point said,"this makes me feel really old, but it is not a safe environment here." Many people in the lazy river were so drunk they were being held up by others who were barely better.

It is a beautiful area or would be if it was clean, and maybe we just hit it at a bad time twice, but I would not have children anywhere near it. Honestly we didn't stay after moving several times and continuing to see and hear folks who sounded like they were close to being in serious trouble. The combination of alcohol and water is scary when such excess is used.

I hope I have not offended anyone, but I would want to know before my children were subjected to anythig like that.

The other couple and us discussed how to find a hotel with the type of folks you like to hang with. This type of partying was too much for us, but without a room key there would be no way to know what was happening there.

Good luck

Tandyc

I'm sorry it didn't go well.

If you were to plan a future trip there may I suggest the Monte Carlo? We stayed there last summer with our two children (3 & 1.5 at the time) and we had a blast. It's on the strip, with NYNY next to it and MGM across. The pool complex was awsome. They have their larger pool, which we stayed away from, so I don't know roudy it may have been, but in the same area they have a wading size pool (that my girls thought was built specifically for them, lol), a wave pool and a lazy river. There were a lot of people and there were people drinking, but I never saw anything get out hand.

We got back from Vegas a few weeks ago. We stayed at the MGM Signature, which had its own pool for each tower. It was fabulous, family friendly, and didn't have the rowdy crowd.

The MGM Signature was connected to the MGM Grand hotel through a long walkway, and we had access to the MGM Grand hotel pool, which we wandered over to one afternoon. Have to agree with the previous poster. The pool was full of party people, lots of alcohol, PDA, and yelling. Worse of all, we saw broken beer bottles that weren't cleaned up along the path. I also saw drips of blood, which meant that people actually accidentally stepped on the broken bottles. It was a horrible pool scene for a family.

We high tailed out of there and headed back to our quiet pool at the MGM Signature tower, which was peaceful and tranquil.

Highly recommend the MGM Signature. Beautiful place. Only complaint with this accommodation was the location. We always found ourselves going to the opposite end of the strip, where the Fashion Mall, Venetian, and Wynn were.

We got back on Sunday from the MGM. The pool complex is huge but is definetely NOT for children or at tleast it was not when we were there. It was wall to wall drunk college age folks. There were Jello shooters, beer bottles and other garbage all over. There were couples chicken fighting in the pool, the men carrying the women on thier shoulders took it upon themselves to pull off the other womens tops and even untied some bottoms at one point. While the staff did ask them to put clothes back on it happened over and over, The place was filthy and the language of the folks at the pools and river was very "R" to "X" rated. My dh at one point said,"this makes me feel really old, but it is not a safe environment here." Many people in the lazy river were so drunk they were being held up by others who were barely better.
Were you traveling during spring break, or is this an everyday affair at MGM? I agree that this isn't the environment for kids!

I would vote for MGM, Stay away from Circus Circus, go to visit, but really rundown hotel- amusement park fun for kids for the day, but I wouldn't want to stay there- go for MGM, Lions/good pool - nice location, M&M Place next door. Much cleaner than Circus!

Just for future reference for people traveling with children. We just got back and stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club, right next to the Hilton and on the monorail route. It was perfect! Lots of kids there and plenty of room. We had a one bedroom, full kitchen, laundry room, nice pool and recreation area. It was easy to get to the heart of the strip, but far enough away from the noise and action to have a peacfyl night and day if you wanted to relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter