Good bye RunDisney Disneyland

Doesn’t hurt anyone for me to assume it, and it doesn’t hurt anyone to not assume it.

Except if you’re right, then I’ll be happy. If I’m right, then you’ll be sad.

I’d rather be joyously surprised, personally.
Fair enough!! :)

I would love to believe that it will come back if only for just 1 or 2 races a year. But my guess is that it will be several years before this happens and at that point it will be like setting up a whole new organization. If the headaches were really that bad dealing with Anaheim, I could see them choosing to invest the $ they would spend in West Coast run Disney Races on something else.

I'd love to see them bring just one weekend back. It may change after the WDW Marathon, but until then, the Avengers races I did in 2015 (5k, 10k, half) stand as my favorite runDisney races. As @roxymama said, walking out of my hotel to the start line was a huge plus. I enjoyed my park running time in DL better than WDW, and I liked the Anaheim portions better than the Disney highway between MK and Epcot, great course support and just more to look at and be distracted by. I think if they only did 1 or even 2 they'd have plenty of demand, because supply would be lower. I think putting four races out there and adding them in rapid succession was just too much.

I ran the inaugural DL half in 2006. I'm a little annoyed because I also ran the WDW half but they didn't have a coast to coast yet so I didn't get it. Personally I like WDW races much more. DL was nice to do once and all but it was pretty much just a standard city race based on how many miles were outside the park and there are cheaper and more scenic city races to do.

I do think at least one race weekend will return. It will get the CA runners that miss it and runners that want to do a race at DL but I think having multiple races throughout the year might never come back. Just speculation.

With respect to coast-to-coast awards, if (when) Disneyland races return I hope that they might consider offering an award for someone who completes both the Saturday races instead of requiring completion of the Sunday races. This might help to draw in those that prefer the shorter distances and those that avoid running on Sunday.

With respect to coast-to-coast awards, if (when) Disneyland races return I hope that they might consider offering an award for someone who completes both the Saturday races instead of requiring completion of the Sunday races. This might help to draw in those that prefer the shorter distances and those that avoid running on Sunday.
I have got to think though at what point are there too many medals. Some that runs challenges on both coasts would then receive two coast to coasts then? I think having the Sunday races is runDisney's best option.

I, for one, hope they don't do this and don't see any reason that they would. RunDisney has absolutely no need to draw in racers for the Saturday races. The 10k offerings are usually the first or near first to sell out for every race weekend. I know that some of that is due to the challenge drawing in so many of the 10k bibs. Regardless, there is no need to generate additional demand for 10k bibs. I also can't help but wonder if this would actually hurt their sales. Runners that push themselves to run the half to qualify for Coast to Coast would no longer need to, only needing the 10k. The number of half and challenge runners could actually drop with the watering down of the C2C requirements. I also agree with @rteetz as to the "how many medals/challenges are too many" question and would file this under the same heading as the suggestion that pops up from time to time that there be a Marathon Weekend challenge for 10k & half runners.

I have got to think though at what point are there too many medals. Some that runs challenges on both coasts would then receive two coast to coasts then? I think having the Sunday races is runDisney's best option.

I wasn't thinking that folks would receive more than one C2C medal. I would think that folks that finished both Saturday and Sunday races would prefer the Sunday medal even though they might be eligible for a Saturday CSC medal for completing the Saturday races. If there's only one medal, then I agree that from a business perspective, the Sunday CSC medal makes more sense.

I, for one, hope they don't do this and don't see any reason that they would. RunDisney has absolutely no need to draw in racers for the Saturday races. The 10k offerings are usually the first or near first to sell out for every race weekend. I know that some of that is due to the challenge drawing in so many of the 10k bibs. Regardless, there is no need to generate additional demand for 10k bibs. I also can't help but wonder if this would actually hurt their sales. Runners that push themselves to run the half to qualify for Coast to Coast would no longer need to, only needing the 10k. The number of half and challenge runners could actually drop with the watering down of the C2C requirements. I also agree with @rteetz as to the "how many medals/challenges are too many" question and would file this under the same heading as the suggestion that pops up from time to time that there be a Marathon Weekend challenge for 10k & half runners.

You're right - the Saturday races are more popular and fill faster and there is probably little or no monetary driver for such an offering. I'm unsure that it would draw away from the Sunday race. I think runners push themselves for many reasons and I would think that the Sunday C2C medal would be held in higher esteem than the Saturday C2C medal for runners that might be able to do both. There is a rather small subset of folks that is a combination of older and younger ages that can't do the longer Sunday distances, and an even smaller constituency that just doesn't like to run on Sunday. I think I was under a misunderstanding in thinking that the C2C medal was an extra charge item. If it is a free incentive I think that this would probably add support to your arguments.

I think I was under a misunderstanding in thinking that the C2C medal was an extra charge item. If it is a free incentive I think that this would probably add support to your arguments.
The coast to coast is "free" if you pay for the two half marathons. It's not like the other challenges like Goofy or Dopey were there is an incremental fee to do the challenge vs doing the races independently.

There may be too many medals... that doesn't mean I don't want most of them though...

Agreed. Since they introduced the multi race single weekend challenge events, taking on the official challenge (Goofy, Dopey, or name the 10K/Half challenge) completing the challenge resulted in one extra medal. An additional "extra" medal was earned if a runner completed both Star Wars half marathons or Princess and Tink half marathons. Adding a 10K C2C would only make any runner who runs a 10K/Half challenge on each coast want the 10K C2C in addition to the regular C2C which contributes to the how many medals is too many medals discussion.

Since challenge events are the only races which runDisney still requires that a runner finish in order to receive the medal, I think challenge medals should be reserved for more distances that include at least a Half. I also like that Marathon weekend does not offer a 10K/Half challenge. With the marathon, reserve the multi race challenge for Goofy and/or Dopey and keep it as the only weekend to offer a special medal for finishing all the races.

Running is not easy. It's not supposed to be. In my opinion, the metal 5K medals and the introduction of I Did It shirts for both the 5K and the 10K is a great way to reward those runners who are rightly celebrating their first distance or working up towards a greater one. I like keeping the challenge medals for anyone crazy enough to take on multiple races and put in the time and effort to prepare for them.

For those who desire the additional medals that come with a challenge component, you can do it. Put forth the effort and commitment necessary and you will do it. A runner will learn more about themselves if they run that 13.1 (or 26.2) distance than if runDisney knocks the requirement for the C2C down.

All right. I see I'm outnumbered on my C2C opinion. I see all your points and don't disagree. Yet I still feel it would be nice for folks who stretch really hard to complete just the Saturday distances. Maybe I'm being too bling-centric.

It's a nice day here in central Ohio. Time to go out and run in preparation for the Disney Half and (hopefully) a first marathon mid 2018.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!