Good and Bad of owning a dog

I'll jump back in and disagree with those who say "no" to getting a dog simply because your daughter may (or may not) be moving out. If you want a dog and are willing to take care of it if she moves out forever at the age of 18, then go for it. They do bring a lot of love and a lot of fun, but they are some work.

As for how much of a lifestyle change it is, some of that is in your control. I read where people talk about them being woken up at night because the dog jumps on their bed. For us, it's a non-factor because the dogs aren't allowed in our master bedroom, period. Ever. It's a "no dog" zone. We shut our bedroom door at night. Our older dog sleeps with the kids, because they want him to. If they don't want him to, they just close their door. Our puppies are still being crate trained, so they sleep in the crates. But once they're old enough, the same rules will apply...no master bedroom and the kids can decide what they want. Same with the dogs "demanding" their breakfast or causing a commotion at night. Nope, not going to happen. They'll get fed in the morning, when we get up. When we first got the puppies, they would cry/bark in the middle of the night. I'll take them for a quick walk to make sure they don't have to go potty, but once I'm sure of that, if they whine/bark they are told sternly "NO" and they'll quiet down. At this point, with the puppies being 4 months old, about 80% of the time they're quiet all night. If it becomes an issue where they're barking for breakfast at 3am, that'll be their quick ticket to a bark collar. The dogs are not allowed on our couches or chairs. They have their own dog beds, no climbing on the furniture...even if they're sitting with one of the kids. If the kids want the dog in their lap, they get on the floor. We love the dogs, and aren't trying to be cruel, but they need to adapt to our lifestyle as much as we need to adapt for them, if not more.

Last edited:
Already great advice here from the posts I've scanned, and I'm sure I am repeating here, but wanted to chime in with my own personal experience growing up with a Samoyed. It was my aunt & uncle's dog where I spent lots of time as a kid.

4)Don't have to bathe them very often (although if we do, that's not a problem, we have an unfinished basement with an old shower down there for winter, or an outdoor spigot for summer)

Samoyeds are white and have a ton of fur, so I actually think bathing may be more frequent. You'll want to brush out the fur, and they get dirty easily - especially during rain and winter months. My SIL has an American Eskimo, which is similar in terms of fur, and its filthy all the time it seems! lol!

2)They shed a lot, but have read that it's usually just at season changes.. but not really looking forward to a ton of hair all over the place, lol.

The shedding is REAL. Its an adjustment. I have a Pomeranian, who is 10 lbs of fur, and he sheds quite a bit. I had to adjust to having a lint brush in my bedroom, living room, car, and desk at work. I also am constantly vacuuming the car, the couch and bedspread. I have the occasional tumbleweeds of fur that roll by from under the couch, so I take the dust buster to those a lot too. Its a lot to keep up with. A Samoyed is much larger, which means more fur. The shedding does increase with seasonal change, as in it comes out in larger clumps when you brush the dog, but any time of year, they leave fur where they lay and when they jump on you or even brush up against you.

4)They're expensive.. the cheapest I have found within driving distance to us is $950. Then all the vet bills, food, toys, etc.

Yes, people don't often consider all the ancillary costs of owning a dog. Add on boarding or a dog sitter to this cost too. DH and I vacation 1-2 times per year and board our dog, which adds roughly $300 to our vacation budget each time. In addition to vet bills, our dog is now 12 and takes regular medication which is an expense. He also takes probiotics. He gets groomed regularly, which would be recommended for a Samoyed as well. Grooming for us is roughly $120 every 6-7 weeks, but would be more for a larger dog. So, its definitely an expense.

All of this being said, a dog brings so much joy to a family and helps strengthen your bond. We don't regret a dime or a minute of the aggravation. Its good you are preparing yourself for the pros and cons, so you know what to expect. Just have realistic expectations and take the bad with the all the good. Good luck!

My DD (who is 27) grew up with cats, a hamster, and fish. He brother and his wife got a dog, and she has dog sat for them. I think she described dogs as pets pretty well: "They're so needy". They demand your attention, they need to be let out (our family strongly believes cats and dogs should be indoor pets), and you can't just go away for the weekend and leave them.
Our last cat was pretty affectionate. If DD was around, she was in the recliner with her. But she was happy sleeping in her cat climber, could be left for the weekend with plenty of water, food, and an extra litter box set out. You could go away for the night and not worry.
I agree with this, but it’s part of the appeal for me. My dogs are like my other kids. Of course, DS comes first, but we are that family who refer to the dogs as DS’s “brothers”. :P But the cat is the cat. We love him, but he doesn’t feel like my other kid but a pet.

I'll jump back in and disagree with those who say "no" to getting a dog simply because your daughter may (or may not) be moving out. If you want a dog and are willing to take care of it if she moves out forever at the age of 18, then go for it. They do bring a lot of love and a lot of fun, but they are some work.

As for how much of a lifestyle change it is, some of that is in your control. I read where people talk about them being woken up at night because the dog jumps on their bed. For us, it's a non-factor because the dogs aren't allowed in our master bedroom, period. Ever. It's a "no dog" zone. We shut our bedroom door at night. Our older dog sleeps with the kids, because they want him to. If they don't want him to, they just close their door. Our puppies are still being crate trained, so they sleep in the crates. But once they're old enough, the same rules will apply...no master bedroom and the kids can decide what they want. Same with the dogs "demanding" their breakfast or causing a commotion at night. Nope, not going to happen. They'll get fed in the morning, when we get up. When we first got the puppies, they would cry/bark in the middle of the night. I'll take them for a quick walk to make sure they don't have to go potty, but once I'm sure of that, if they whine/bark they are told sternly "NO" and they'll quiet down. At this point, with the puppies being 4 months old, about 80% of the time they're quiet all night. If it becomes an issue where they're barking for breakfast at 3am, that'll be their quick ticket to a bark collar. The dogs are not allowed on our couches or chairs. They have their own dog beds, no climbing on the furniture...even if they're sitting with one of the kids. If the kids want the dog in their lap, they get on the floor. We love the dogs, and aren't trying to be cruel, but they need to adapt to our lifestyle as much as we need to adapt for them, if not more.
Agree with this. It’s all about what you allow. Might take work in the beginning, but like most things, it’s worth it. Mine do sleep with us but are trained to not get up unless I say. If they try, I say “lay down, not yet” & they lay down. And a pp said OP would be cleaning up accidents constantly. Not if you’re vigilant. My current dogs are 23 mos & 18 mos & I think we had a total of like 5 or 6 accidents for both dogs in that time period. I had them since they were 11 weeks & 6 weeks.

Agree with this. It’s all about what you allow. Might take work in the beginning, but like most things, it’s worth it. Mine do sleep with us but are trained to not get up unless I say. If they try, I say “lay down, not yet” & they lay down. And a pp said OP would be cleaning up accidents constantly. Not if you’re vigilant. My current dogs are 23 mos & 18 mos & I think we had a total of like 5 or 6 accidents for both dogs in that time period. I had them since they were 11 weeks & 6 weeks.

Yes, definitely. We haven't been quite as lucky with the accident thing, and we've had the puppies since they were 8 weeks old. It hasn't been terrible, but there have certainly been a handful. Thankfully almost all are of the pee variety, not too many poops...especially in the past month or so.

The one thing we still can't get a hold of, as I mentioned before, is the darn "happy pee" of our girl puppy, especially with me. I guess she sees me as the alpha, and so she is quite submissive. I've tried everything...even ignoring her when I first walk in the door. She'll have her tail wagging 100mph and want me to pet her. I don't, and wait until she settles down. But even if it's 5 minutes later I'll go to pet her and she pees...with tail wagging. Sigh... It's not every time, but often enough. To make it more challenging, she's a total attention diva. If I'm petting one of the other two dogs, she will try to run up and literally push her way in to be pet. If there's attention to be had, she wants it. Of course, we make sure she understands she isn't the only one to get attention, we'll gently push her aside and tell her to wait her turn. Sometimes the best way I find to pet her is to either do it when she's just completely laying down and nearly sleeping, or I'll come up from behind her and quickly grab her and "flip" her upside down...she won't pee then because she doesn't like peeing on herself. Once I start petting her, I'm safe.

Adopt, DON’T shop. There are so many great dogs in our rescues and shelters, just loooking for loving homes.

Don’t get a dog for a 16 year old; only get a dog if YOU are ready to commit to being its long-term family.

Puppies are a tremendous amount of work. And destructive. Go for a 1-2 year old. You can know their temperament, are past the chewing/ potty-training stage.

I agree with this, but it’s part of the appeal for me. My dogs are like my other kids. Of course, DS comes first, but we are that family who refer to the dogs as DS’s “brothers”. :P But the cat is the cat. We love him, but he doesn’t feel like my other kid but a pet.
I totally get that. Our CAT was our daughter and son's SISTER. But that cat was more dog like than most.

Adopt, DON’T shop. There are so many great dogs in our rescues and shelters, just loooking for loving homes.

Don’t get a dog for a 16 year old; only get a dog if YOU are ready to commit to being its long-term family.

Puppies are a tremendous amount of work. And destructive. Go for a 1-2 year old. You can know their temperament, are past the chewing/ potty-training stage.
Where’s the LOVE button. I can not stress this enough. Please please please everyone consider adopting. I am not shaming anyone . When we decided we wanted a dog and we wanted to be sure of temperament we went to a reputable Labrador Retriever breeder. We did so much research on the kind of dog we wanted and we ended up with a wonderful dog that we live with all of our hearts. When we had him about 2 years I would stand at the school bus stop with a woman who had a puppy. She hated the dog. She was nasty to it, called it stupid repeatedly, yanked it around. One day I could not stand it anymore and said something .. I was constantly trying to her help her understand the puppy (lab mix) and explain they needed training. She angrily replied “ fine.. then take him.”
I talked to my husband and we had a new dog less than 48 hours later . She never looked back .. just dropped him off. He’s not stupid at all and we love him to bits. That experience started opening our eyes to the idea of shelter animals and unwanted dogs.
Fast forward I follow a couple of rescue groups on Facebook. One that I became aware of because of an article in a national newspaper work they were doing to help the horrible stray dog problems in Northern communities. The abuse, neglect, atrocities, I have seen would hurt anyone to read. They roam in packs.. they freeze, they starve, they fight eachother. It’s unbelivable and heartbreaking.
Long story short, I own a purebred dog and I will never ever make that choice again. So I present the alternative to anyone who is considering dog ownership. Shelters are full and overwhelmed. The right dog will show up. Any good trainer can test for tempermant and a good rescue group will do that before they ever consider adopting the dog out.
Please consider adoption. :)

Yes, definitely. We haven't been quite as lucky with the accident thing, and we've had the puppies since they were 8 weeks old. It hasn't been terrible, but there have certainly been a handful. Thankfully almost all are of the pee variety, not too many poops...especially in the past month or so.

The one thing we still can't get a hold of, as I mentioned before, is the darn "happy pee" of our girl puppy, especially with me. I guess she sees me as the alpha, and so she is quite submissive. I've tried everything...even ignoring her when I first walk in the door. She'll have her tail wagging 100mph and want me to pet her. I don't, and wait until she settles down. But even if it's 5 minutes later I'll go to pet her and she pees...with tail wagging. Sigh... It's not every time, but often enough. To make it more challenging, she's a total attention diva. If I'm petting one of the other two dogs, she will try to run up and literally push her way in to be pet. If there's attention to be had, she wants it. Of course, we make sure she understands she isn't the only one to get attention, we'll gently push her aside and tell her to wait her turn. Sometimes the best way I find to pet her is to either do it when she's just completely laying down and nearly sleeping, or I'll come up from behind her and quickly grab her and "flip" her upside down...she won't pee then because she doesn't like peeing on herself. Once I start petting her, I'm safe.
I forgot about that with female dogs. We have 2 males. They occasionally do that when they’re excited but not much.

45282934_2191966157757850_403575072960282624_n.jpg

Photo above, not mine, it was on a shelter's Facebook page the other day with this caption: "Guys this dog was put down today due to lack of space!

This is what it looks like when dogs die. We tell them we love them and give them one last hug. "

I'm definitely not trying to "guilt" you into getting a shelter dog either. But if you do decide to get a dog, I think you would be SO happy to know you saved even one dog from the fate above! And there are all kinds of dogs in shelters and foster homes (personally I prefer the foster home route, because the foster person can tell you all about how well trained the dog is, if they get along with kids, other pets, etc. And the price of adoption almost always comes with neuter/spay and vaccines. We adopted our second dog from a GREAT foster rescue, she was only $200 which I almost felt guilty about paying that little, because she was spayed, microchipped, and had all the first year vaccines. She was only a year old too and a gorgeous dog, I still can't believe she was in a kill shelter before the foster group got her out of there. I was the first to call on her when her post went up on Petfinder, and the rescue group received so many calls after that they had to take the photo down.

When I read your first paragraph I was trying to picture a dog that would fit for your family of first time dog owners with older kids, and being used to more laid back dogs growing up, and then I read "Samoyed" and said out loud, "NO!!!" lol. Beautiful dogs, my brother had one, but terrible for what you are looking for I think, and they shed like a sweater a day.

What is it that your DD is most wanting in a dog do you think, a lap dog? A dog to exercise with?

If you want a lap dog, our other dog is the perfect dog for first time owners in my book. She's a shih tzu bichon mix. She doesn't shed at all, not even a little. She loves to cuddle. She is smart and learns tricks easily. She is cute as a button. She can be a stinker about getting into things, but we keep her in her crate at night or when we leave the house and she loves her crate, so she's easy that way. I am home all the time though, so she's usually not crated much during the day except if I'm running errands. She will take walks and loves to play, but is mostly lazy and a cuddler so she's very easy that way. We did get her as a puppy though, unlike her sister that we adopted at a year old, it took awhile to house train her but now she is great with that too, she barks at us if she needs to go out. I would 100% recommend looking for a dog to adopt that is a year or two old, it's the perfect age. Puppies are SO MUCH WORK.

I think you received a lot of good advice on everything else, but that was just my two cents to add to the mix

Last edited:
My 12 year old male cairn (I posted about already in thread)...his pee problems are not as bad now. But when we had 2 dogs and a house with fenced yard he'd pee in house on things sitting on floor (marking like) and that stopped after she died and/or we moved. I think it was a combo of things. He'd mark because he'd smell her in the house and then once we moved into townhouse wee had to walk him and he'd get all his pee out. I think it's more about not having another dog in the house. And the poo issues...I noticed since we started walking him that he's a very very particular pooper. He has to smell every little blade of grass and pace and turn and walk and walk a ways to find just the right spot. And he goes twice a day so we do 2 longer walks that are very frustrating due to him stopping to smell and smell. I can't do any exercise type walk with him because he stops every 3 steps. If it's crappy weather, I get irritated with him doing this. Anyway, he isn't pooping in the house now (I think when we lived in house with fenced yard, he'd run out with other dog and pee but not get his long smelling around perfect poop spot so he'd run back in with other dog and then go on carpet (he had fave spot on area rug in formal living room).

But he has had tummy troubles a couple times over the year...due some bacteria which they suspected was due to anxiety (after kennel visit and dental cleaning that extracted 9 teeth). During that issue and I was taking him out all hours of the day and night. The restless sleep is also a problem that's new. He used to sleep downstairs with sister dog and we'd gate the steps up to bedroom. But then we moved into townhome with 1st floor master and he'd come in our room. DH started putting him on our bed (even took the bedframe out and set mattress on floor so he can get on and off). So he's on our bed, then off, in his dog bed, then out on floor and then sometimes wanders around living room. I am light sleeper so it wakes me every time he moves. Then he scratches on side of bed between 4-6 am (and daylight savings has not been good). He's old and we baby him. But, yes, it's turned him into a PITA. He now has an internal clock and knows when he should eat, go out and go to bed. He'll sit right in front of us and stare at us when it's time for something. And his bedtime is 9pm...grandpa dog.

He limps around and the vet said his kidneys are failing. Our 3 human kids are all off to college. So we have the time. But it is work and so much so that we will not be getting another dog. Maybe a few years after DH retires and we've done some travelling but that's a long way off (we are 45). We have ailing parents in another state so we will be needing to run up to them frequently over the next, hopefully, many years. We drag the dog now but that's not easy on him (though better than kennel). But worth noting that dogs can even get tougher as they age. A young dog may seem easy and well trained but then they get old and things fall apart (just like humans).

My 12 year old male cairn (I posted about already in thread)...his pee problems are not as bad now. But when we had 2 dogs and a house with fenced yard he'd pee in house on things sitting on floor (marking like) and that stopped after she died and/or we moved. I think it was a combo of things. He'd mark because he'd smell her in the house and then once we moved into townhouse wee had to walk him and he'd get all his pee out. I think it's more about not having another dog in the house. And the poo issues...I noticed since we started walking him that he's a very very particular pooper. He has to smell every little blade of grass and pace and turn and walk and walk a ways to find just the right spot. And he goes twice a day so we do 2 longer walks that are very frustrating due to him stopping to smell and smell. I can't do any exercise type walk with him because he stops every 3 steps. If it's crappy weather, I get irritated with him doing this. Anyway, he isn't pooping in the house now (I think when we lived in house with fenced yard, he'd run out with other dog and pee but not get his long smelling around perfect poop spot so he'd run back in with other dog and then go on carpet (he had fave spot on area rug in formal living room).

But he has had tummy troubles a couple times over the year...due some bacteria which they suspected was due to anxiety (after kennel visit and dental cleaning that extracted 9 teeth). During that issue and I was taking him out all hours of the day and night. The restless sleep is also a problem that's new. He used to sleep downstairs with sister dog and we'd gate the steps up to bedroom. But then we moved into townhome with 1st floor master and he'd come in our room. DH started putting him on our bed (even took the bedframe out and set mattress on floor so he can get on and off). So he's on our bed, then off, in his dog bed, then out on floor and then sometimes wanders around living room. I am light sleeper so it wakes me every time he moves. Then he scratches on side of bed between 4-6 am (and daylight savings has not been good). He's old and we baby him. But, yes, it's turned him into a PITA. He now has an internal clock and knows when he should eat, go out and go to bed. He'll sit right in front of us and stare at us when it's time for something. And his bedtime is 9pm...grandpa dog.

He limps around and the vet said his kidneys are failing. Our 3 human kids are all off to college. So we have the time. But it is work and so much so that we will not be getting another dog. Maybe a few years after DH retires and we've done some travelling but that's a long way off (we are 45). We have ailing parents in another state so we will be needing to run up to them frequently over the next, hopefully, many years. We drag the dog now but that's not easy on him (though better than kennel). But worth noting that dogs can even get tougher as they age. A young dog may seem easy and well trained but then they get old and things fall apart (just like humans).
I love your DH! He sounds like mine. The Cairn has him wrapped around his finger; they are quite a pair.

I've had two dogs in my life, a puppy we adopted from a shelter when I was in junior high and now as an adult I have a mutt I adopted as a young dog but not a puppy. I will never adopt a puppy again. My current dog came to me potty trained and already familiar with some basic commands. Her only real issue was not being comfortable on a leash but we worked through that pretty quickly. The difference in the stress level of taking care of a 9 month old dog versus a puppy is huge.

I did get a crate for her but she never liked it and she was so well behaved that it wasn't really necessary. She sleeps in my room but not in my bed and is not allowed on the furniture. She is honestly one of the most well behaved dogs I have ever met and that is pretty much how she came to me - no jumping, no barking, no chewing of furniture,clothes, rugs, no stealing food, no eating things she shouldn't eat. And I say all this not to brag but to point out that even with such an easy and well behaved dog, I hesitate about whether I will get another when she is no longer with me. She is still a lot of work. She has had some health problems that have been costly and stressful. She still has occasional middle of the night unexplained puking episodes. She sheds like nothing else I have ever seen. I am constantly sweeping/vacuuming/swiffering/lint rolling my clothes. She loves people but mostly me and thus hates being away from me. She still behaves just fine when I leave her with a dog sitter but she is visibly sad about it and it makes me feel guilty for leaving her. Plus you have to factor in the cost of the dog sitter when you plan a vacation, even if it is just a few days away. I can't go out for spontaneous after work drinks or dinner because I would need to make plans in advance for someone to come by and feed her and let her out. Having a dog really does impact your day to day life in a big way so if you are ambivalent about it, I would give it A LOT of thought before you commit.

I love your DH! He sounds like mine. The Cairn has him wrapped around his finger; they are quite a pair.
Yep. When DH goes to kitchen the cairn jumps up and runs (well if you can call it that at his age) to join him for a treat. The dog is very attached to DH. I am his back up person. LOL.

If the OP stated they've been wanting a dog forever but have fell back on no my concerns would be different. But the OP stated the daughter has been asking for a dog forever with the OP always saying no, the daughter has been researching big time for a while, etc. Seems more contingent on the daughter rather than the OP.

The daughter in question is nearly 16. That's not necessarily an issue but it could become one if the OP's heart isn't truly in for owning the dog and taking care of it for the dog's lifetime. It also is dependent on just how much time the daughter will realistically be spending with the dog. The OP says they are an active family which is great for the dog in question who would enjoy activities but at the same time will it mean that the daughter who really wants the dog ends up becoming busy with other facets of their life. Again that's not necessarily an issue but it could become one if the OP's heart isn't truly in for taking on a large portion of the interaction with the dog if the daughter becomes very busy and thus has less time for the dog.

And the OP would want to discuss what occurs once the daughter graduates high school.

You're totally right on if the OP wants the dog. I just think personally the OP needs to really weigh in their mind if they are getting a dog now because they truly want to have a dog or if they are doing it more because their daughter is pushing really hard.

Photo above, not mine, it was on a shelter's Facebook page the other day with this caption: "Guys this dog was put down today due to lack of space!

This is what it looks like when dogs die. We tell them we love them and give them one last hug. "

I'm definitely not trying to "guilt" you into getting a shelter dog either. But if you do decide to get a dog, I think you would be SO happy to know you saved even one dog from the fate above! And there are all kinds of dogs in shelters and foster homes (personally I prefer the foster home route, because the foster person can tell you all about how well trained the dog is, if they get along with kids, other pets, etc. And the price of adoption almost always comes with neuter/spay and vaccines. We adopted our second dog from a GREAT foster rescue, she was only $200 which I almost felt guilty about paying that little, because she was spayed, microchipped, and had all the first year vaccines. She was only a year old too and a gorgeous dog, I still can't believe she was in a kill shelter before the foster group got her out of there. I was the first to call on her when her post went up on Petfinder, and the rescue group received so many calls after that they had to take the photo down.

When I read your first paragraph I was trying to picture a dog that would fit for your family of first time dog owners with older kids, and being used to more laid back dogs growing up, and then I read "Samoyed" and said out loud, "NO!!!" lol. Beautiful dogs, my brother had one, but terrible for what you are looking for I think, and they shed like a sweater a day.

What is it that your DD is most wanting in a dog do you think, a lap dog? A dog to exercise with?

If you want a lap dog, our other dog is the perfect dog for first time owners in my book. She's a shih tzu bichon mix. She doesn't shed at all, not even a little. She loves to cuddle. She is smart and learns tricks easily. She is cute as a button. She can be a stinker about getting into things, but we keep her in her crate at night or when we leave the house and she loves her crate, so she's easy that way. I am home all the time though, so she's usually not crated much during the day except if I'm running errands. She will take walks and loves to play, but is mostly lazy and a cuddler so she's very easy that way. We did get her as a puppy though, unlike her sister that we adopted at a year old, it took awhile to house train her but now she is great with that too, she barks at us if she needs to go out. I would 100% recommend looking for a dog to adopt that is a year or two old, it's the perfect age. Puppies are SO MUCH WORK.

I think you received a lot of good advice on everything else, but that was just my two cents to add to the mix
Buying from a reputable breeder also keeps dogs out of shelters. 99.99% of the good breeders have a clause in their contracts that says that they will take back any of their puppies regardless of age or reason at any time in the dog's life. Most breed clubs have as part of their code of ethics that breeders never breed too many puppies that they lose track of them and one can end up in a shelter. If, by chance, one does end up in a shelter, early chipping by breeders before they leave with the breeder, allows the breeder to retrieve that puppy from the shelter.

The only way to address the shelter problem is to address the puppy mills and the breeding for profit. If a dog never needs to be in a shelter, then the shelter population goes way down. Adopting is one way, but doesn't address the problem that anyone with an intact poodle and another dog can breed 30 puppies in a year, half of which probably will go to shelters. You can't adopt out enough to keep up with the designer craze or the puppy mill mentality.

Support your good purebred breeders and keep dogs out of shelters.

I agree with everything you say except the price. If you are being price gouged like that, then it is not a good breeder. That is more indicative of a back yard breeder or designer dog breeder that is in it for the money. We show our dogs so are around a lot of good breeders. A quality breeder is more into getting a good home for their pet puppies than raking in the dough. i have the litter mate to the #1 dog in the nation, Grand Champion, multiple BIS, won the breed specialty 3 years in a row and he cost me $675 because I wanted a pet and not another show dog. And this dog's bite was off, so off to be neutered and placed in a forever pet home.

Well we have Cavalier King Charles spaniels and I e never seen a lower price from a reputable show breeder. I did 2 yrs of research. We adopted young adults both times (7years apart) both who had been retired from showing. Our breeder maybe breeds one litter per year MAX and each litter has 1-4 puppies...

Our first dog had been born via emergency c section - the breeder had invested far far more than $2k on that dog. She was most definitely not making any money at all From breeding. She just didn’t have enough room insider her house lol!

She still provides support for us 10 years later and stays in touch and knows where every single one of her pups are.

So in our case we are not talking about designer dogs or a puppy mill or backyard breeding

My heart aches for shelter dogs. We got spaniels because we knew we had limits on what we persoNally could handle and needed the predictability.

Gosh we looooovw the KCCS breed. They are such a slam dunk for us

But we will consider a fostered shelter dog too next time

Will have to go pour a second cup of coffee before I start this one.

Where’s the LOVE button. I can not stress this enough. Please please please everyone consider adopting. I am not shaming anyone . When we decided we wanted a dog and we wanted to be sure of temperament we went to a reputable Labrador Retriever breeder. We did so much research on the kind of dog we wanted and we ended up with a wonderful dog that we live with all of our hearts. When we had him about 2 years I would stand at the school bus stop with a woman who had a puppy. She hated the dog. She was nasty to it, called it stupid repeatedly, yanked it around. One day I could not stand it anymore and said something .. I was constantly trying to her help her understand the puppy (lab mix) and explain they needed training. She angrily replied “ fine.. then take him.”
I talked to my husband and we had a new dog less than 48 hours later . She never looked back .. just dropped him off. He’s not stupid at all and we love him to bits. That experience started opening our eyes to the idea of shelter animals and unwanted dogs.
Fast forward I follow a couple of rescue groups on Facebook. One that I became aware of because of an article in a national newspaper work they were doing to help the horrible stray dog problems in Northern communities. The abuse, neglect, atrocities, I have seen would hurt anyone to read. They roam in packs.. they freeze, they starve, they fight eachother. It’s unbelivable and heartbreaking.
Long story short, I own a purebred dog and I will never ever make that choice again. So I present the alternative to anyone who is considering dog ownership. Shelters are full and overwhelmed. The right dog will show up. Any good trainer can test for tempermant and a good rescue group will do that before they ever consider adopting the dog out.
Please consider adoption. :)

I believe in the concept of adoption, as well. I also follow many adoption and rescue groups online myself and donate and have volunteered to foster, etc. Just the other day I offered to take a sad, overbred dog in rescue with breast and ovarian cancer as a hospice type situation but the dog had already been placed. One group actually posts pictures daily of dogs that are to be euthanized the next day and I cry and get a pit in my stomach every day looking at those poor faces and souls who generally find themselves in these dire predicaments through no fault of their own. I can only hope that they are going somewhere better when they leave this cruel world.

Our pet overpopulation problem is out of control. There is a lot of irresponsibility out there on a lot of levels, and that, I believe, it what drives the problem. I do not blame responsible breeders. (Emphasis on the term responsible.) I think people should be able to get a dog from someone who has taken the time to curb health problems and bring dogs into the world who are cared for and cared about, and who possess characteristics and traits that are predictable. People fancy different breeds for different reasons, and there's nothing wrong with that. I also, as I said above, believe strongly, almost more than anything else, that people welcoming a dog into their home should have the RIGHT dog, because that is what's going to drive the best relationship possible, and therefore the best care of the dog. Dogs that aren't liked very much may be tolerated, but not always cared about or for.

That said, I have been trying, as best I know how (and people who know me know I'm pretty resourceful), for literally years, to adopt a dog that's right for our family, without success, which really saddens me. I'm not being very particular, either, other than I prefer a female GSD and one without major behavior problems, and that doesn't include problems that I can fairly easily remedy with my knowledge and experience, love and patience. I have filled out over 35 applications and its getting tiresome, since it takes quite a bit of time and is very intrusive, and often nobody even gets back to me. (When and if they do, the pet is often gone. Some organizations won't even discuss a dog with you without a full application submitted. And I know they are volunteers, usually, and I respect that, but it doesn't help me with my problem.) I've traveled to shelters, too, only to find empty stalls - websites aren't always updated and phone calls go unanswered. :headache: I've called on dogs in desperate situations that I've seen out of state only to be told they can't adopt out to my state. I mean, it's no wonder people give up and go elsewhere.

I've also told this story before but when I was last looking for a dog, we found one in a shelter and were all set to adopt and leave with the dog, when the dog bit my elderly dog on the face twice when I was holding her in my lap. Because my dog was invalid and nearing the end of her days, the shelter manager thought it was best (as did we) to not subject my dog to that in her final days. She actually said to the dog, "That's the second nice family you've lost in two days!", lol, but some dogs have behavior problems that may be why they're there in the first place, and often those are because they weren't trained and socialized correctly, or they were mistreated, etc. So ok, we'll keep looking. We then went to an adoption fair and were looking at another dog. DH asked specifically if the dog was lap aggressive and the woman said no. But a different woman who fostered the dog pulled my DH aside and told him that actually, the dog was lap aggressive. We thanked her for that. But why be dishonest? If you don't know, you should say you don't know. Dogs are sometimes going to homes under false pretenses and that's not good.

I knew an older lady with a kind heart who adopted a Lab. The dog was not the right dog for her, she was medically fragile and could barely handle the dog. Turned out the dog was a pit bull and they pushed the dog off on her even thought it was a disaster for both the lady and the dog. A vet once felt so badly about all the problems she was having with the dog that she wasn't even charged for some things. Eventually she brought the dog back to the shelter but she was heartbroken and deflated in the process. I think that sometimes shelters are so desperate to move dogs along that they might be placing them into situations that aren't right. And I do wonder sometimes if some of the dogs who are really traumatized in life in one way or another, although truly disturbing, are ever going to be right. I think it's smart to really question that when bringing this type of dog into your home, because you are totally responsible for it, and anything that happens you will be liable for. I've read stories where a dog came home from a shelter the week before and attacked the grandchildren or killed the owner (which happened just last week), and things like that. I think it's probably more the exception than the rule, but I think it's wise, especially when you have a young family or others susceptible around you (such as a 93 yr old that I have living with me), to bring in a dog that's stable. What that means may differ from situation to situation. I like having a dog where I either know the background or where the dog has demonstrated that it's a good canine citizen, such as in foster where the dog has been observed in different situations. But make no mistake, my heart truly breaks for dogs and other animals that are in bad situations.

I can tell pretty much by even just watching a video of the dog whether it may be right for our family or not, but I still want to meet the dog in person and see how it is with my current dog and around other people and places, etc. I met one GSD who was one of the largest and most beautiful adults I'd ever seen. When I got there and they took him out, the dog jumped up on the shelter worker, actually towering over him, had his front paws on the guy's shoulders and was staring him in his face. It was hard to say if the dog was being friendly or not. Possibly/probably not. I knew right away this was not the right dog for me; I said thank you and we left. DS was quite upset when we left and pleaded to bring him home. I had to put my foot down and help DS see that it wasn't the right situation for either us or the dog and that wasn't fair to anyone. It can be heartbreaking in the moment, but you have to look at the bigger picture. That said, we tease DS that he will have a houseful of one eyed, snaggletoothed, snarling dogs running around some day because he just loves them and has a warm heart for them - at least at this stage of his life - and that will be his choice later on when he has his own home, lol. Just my $.02.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter