Good and Bad of owning a dog

mrudman

DIS Veteran
So, younger daughter (turning 16 yrs old in a couple weeks) has been asking for a dog for forever. I've always told her No, but I'm now starting to cave a little, lol. He/she would be a combo birthday/Christmas gift for her.

I grew up with a dog and always enjoyed them, but they were very laid-back and lazy! My first dog was a a litttle mutt (looked like Benji) that was semi-old by the time I was born, and then when I was about 10 yrs old, we got a bassett hound that just laid around everywhere. So, in other words, I never had to really take care of a young, energetic dog.

My daughter has been researching majorly for a while now, and has asked for a Samoyed. It looks like this breed is friendly and won't have to worry about its temperament. I know this is a very active breed which is fine by me... we're a fairly active family (it's just me and my 18yo and 16yo daughters).

Here's some pros I've come up with off the top of my head:

1)We have a big yard and would plan on putting some sort of overhead run for him/her to get hooked up to.
2)Our neighbors are pet-friendly too, so they wouldn't mind if it barked occasionally.
3)We have lots of bike/hike trails and parks in our area to take it out to, and my daughter is looking forward to doing that.
4)Don't have to bathe them very often (although if we do, that's not a problem, we have an unfinished basement with an old shower down there for winter, or an outdoor spigot for summer)

And some cons:

1)We'd have to get him/her as a young puppy so that I could make sure it would adapt to our cat and bunny, and hopefully that would work.
2)They shed a lot, but have read that it's usually just at season changes.. but not really looking forward to a ton of hair all over the place, lol.
3)Heard they can attach to just one person.. not sure if this is true or not, but hoping he/she would attach to all of us.
4)They're expensive.. the cheapest I have found within driving distance to us is $950. Then all the vet bills, food, toys, etc.
5)Like to chew stuff or dig holes if bored? I'd have to make sure I'd get plenty of chew toys I guess.

And just a couple questions:

How long does it take to potty train? How often do you need to take them out usually?
I've never had to potty train a dog and am lost on this.
What is crate training and what does that entail?

Please give me any other thoughts about getting one.. other pros and cons?

Thanks!
Michelle

We have 2 French Bulldog/Boston Terrier mixes.

Some more cons (some are specific just to owning a pet, not just a dog)

1) Another creature to be responsible for. You can behaving a perfectly fine day, then the dog starts acting weird or doesn't eat--so you worry about it and make a vet appointment (so...worrying plus a chore.)

2) Both of our dogs seem to each puke like once a month--that's fun to clean out of carpeting.

3) Our dog we got from a shelter has occasional pee accidents despite being trained for years. Horrible to clean out of carpeting.

4) They both love to look out the window and bark. Squirrels, people going on walks, etc. It gets annoying after a while.

These things bugged me less before we had kids. Now that we have 3 young kids I just don't have much "mental energy" to devote to pet issues. I tell my husband often that when our 2 cats and 2 dogs eventually die, I'm having a "pet free year" before any decisions are made about getting a future pet.

Who will take care of the dog when you want to go on vacation? Will someone be there to take care of the dog if you end up away from home for an extended day? Are you someone who likes to frequently or regularly vacation and/or spontaneously be away from home for an extended amount of hours on any given day?

Puppies are like babies, after my first I said never again. When we got our rescue 8 years ago, she was 6 months old, crate trained and housebroken. The only things she’s ever torn up are tissues and stuffed animals that we gave her. Who is home to let the puppy out during the day? Puppies need to be taken out very frequently. My youngest are almost 16, they said we should get another, nope, soon they will all be gone.

I’d never purchase a dog with so many good ones needing homes, plus I prefer getting them from a foster to get information on personality. My first dog was a purebred puppymill dog (from a puppy store, didn’t know better then). She was nuts! I have the most awesome dog now.

Just remember this is a 15 plus year commitment. Please don't be one of those people who get a dog then get rid of it when it gets hard.

And know the breeder. There are a LOT of issues with purebreds.

How long does it take to potty train?

It depends on you but they can learn quick (say 7-8months) with PROPER training.

How often do you need to take them out usually?

The first 3-4 months, just about every few hours. They can't hold it at first.

There are a lot of online resources as to how to do this. Just remember to be patient. [/quote]

Crate training is basically getting the pup used top being kept in the "crate" or cage. It involves a lot of positive reinforcement using treats and what not. eventually, if done right, the dog begins to actually like their crate.

Do you have nice furniture? Not any more.
Throw rugs? Not any more.
Do you mind cleaning pee and poop on an almost constant basis? Good because you will be doing a lot of that too.

Are you going to get rid of the dog if it doesn't do what you want it to? If so, don't get one.

Puppies are a LOT of work. If I were you, I'd go to a shelter and get a good 2 year old dog. Rescue him/her from being killed. They are generally going to be easier to deal with if you choose well.

We have a 9 month old puppy right now and it is a LOT of work. But she is my responsibility and I don't give up on her.

Big dogs are easier, in general, to potty train than little ones. My golden lab (Gingersnap) was trained within a couple of days at 8-9 weeks old, but I know I got very lucky with him. I was prepared to come home every day at lunch when I got him, but he wasn't even interested in a bathroom break in the middle of the day!

The good:
Mine are better than any security system. I know anytime someone new enters the cul de sac where we live, and they seem to know the difference between the cars they see all the time and new ones. If someone knocks on the door or even walks close to the house, they let me know - loudly. Gingersnap has a scary bark, and since it is just us gals in the house, I appreciate that a lot.

They are great for companionship, especially when you live with teenaged girls who might be tempted to retreat to their rooms in the evening.

They will steal your heart. :lovestruc

The bad:
Gingersnap sometimes hogs the bed. lol But that wouldn't be an issue if you crate trained, because the pup would sleep in the crate. Bella sleeps at my feet, which is nice.

You have to plan for trips since you need to arrange for dog care.

The expenses don't stop. Food, treats, toys, annual checkups and shots, flea/tick prevention, heart worm prevention, spay/neuter, boarding, etc.

Safety - my dogs got out just this morning. I let them out to do their business, only to discover that the wind had blown my gate open during the night. DD and I had to stop everything to go look for them, which is not my idea of a fun morning. Fortunately, it was cold outside and they came back quickly (though not before a neighbor called the police about the strange person driving slowly around the neighborhood!).

My cats shed more than the dogs, but it is still a lot. It helps to brush them out before and after their bath.

Honestly, a puppy is a BIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG commitment, especially for a child that may be leaving to go to college in a couple of years.

Unless you are ok with the idea of owning a dog yourself and doing all the work caring for it, I wouldn't do it.

Also, there is no guarantee that a puppy will work well with cats and bunnies, and no guarantee that the puppy will match all the desirable characteristics of its breed once it grows up.

if you want a certain temperament in a dog, go to the shelter and get an adult dog that has been temperament tested as good with cats and matches the personality you want in a dog. Most likely an adult dog will already be house-broken and crate trained so you can save yourself this step.

Pros
I have been sick for two days, I have had at least one of my three dogs laying by me the whole time.
My DH travels a lot. I never worry, no one is getting in the house.
Total, unconditional love.

Cons
I went to the bathroom and one of them tore up the toilet paper roll that was one my bed. I have been sick for two days and I have not taken them to the dog park. Sometimes they are passive aggressive little punks.
They bark a lot. I love it when DH is gone, not so much the rest of the time.
When you travel you have to get a dog sitter or board them.

I can’t imagine life without my dogs.

Michelle, a few random thoughts...

Your daughter is 16, is college in her future? If so in 2 years she's gone, and the dog is with you. I've known kids with pets at college but I don't recommend it. If she's going to college do you really want to be the one taking care of the dog? If so, then get a family dog and your daughter can enjoy it while she's home.

We have 3 dogs and our kids have had a dog or two at home for most of their lives. I think they are great to have around as kids grow up and a great way to learn responsibility of another.

We have a Golden Retriever now, and I will never have another dog that sheds again like her. She's a joy, but OMG the hair and dust bunnies are everywhere. We also have a Wire Fox Terrier, very little shedding, and we now have a 12 week old Wire Fox that joined us. All that said, we love dogs. But there is a good time for dogs, and trying to be honest I'm not sure at 16 it's the best time.

If you move forward find a good breeder, honestly $950 isn't bad. Do some research into the breed and the breeder. Talk to your Vet, I can't stress this enough for new dog owner. The Samoyed breed has some issues to be fully aware of including diabetes and Hip dysplasia. Golden Retrievers are known to have hip dysplasia, when we got ours we made sure that both the mother and father were certified before we adopted. Ours is now 13.5 and no signs of Hip dysplasia in her or any of her siblings.

Serious breeders are breeding for show dogs, but they also know many are not show quality. Our 10year old was show quality, until they found a crook in his tail, that $1500 dog went for about a third of that cost, but we love him and could care less. Find a good veterinarian in your area and talk to them before you buy. Consider buying puppy/dog health insurance. Our older Wire Fox broke the head of his femur which was about a $2500 vet bill. All three of our dogs have insurance now. Yes you will need chew toys, but teething is normal so its all about training them. If you've never had a dog I'd try to meet with a trainer and let them walk you and your daughter through the steps, house breaking, obedience, etc. Many dogs that become bored will dig, we had taken one in from a shelter (that never told me he was a known digger) that managed to dig 2' under my house foundation! I was beyond upset at the local Human Society for not fully disclosing this, and it was known.

You'll get a ton of feedback here, no doubt. Here's my $.02. What kind of dog do you want? Big? Small? Do you care if it's a pure bred or a "mutt"? Personally, I could never own a tiny lap dog, just not my thing at all. Any dog in my house has to be at least 40-50lbs. It's just what we wanted. I was never fond of the idea of owning a dog. I love them, but would prefer to pet someone else's dog and send it on it's way. Well, that's not how DW and the kids felt, so we now own 3 dogs. One is about 7-8 years old which we've had for 6 years and the other two are 4 month old puppies that we've had for about two months. So we've got our hands full right now.

You absolutely do NOT need to spend $950 on a dog. Google the local county animal rescue/shelter and you'll find plenty of choices. Most places are $50-$200, including spay/neuter, shots, a bag of food and a friendly thank you. Sometimes they'll even hold special events where the adoption fee is completely waived or knocked down to $10. You'll find all kinds of dogs there...big, small, young, old.

I'll focus my comment on puppies mostly, as older adult dogs aren't quite as much work. Puppies are a lot of work. Our two puppies are in the process of potty training now. They're doing pretty good. Accidents are fairly rare...except for our female puppy and "happy peeing". Many female puppies will pee when they get really excited or scared and she is a pro at this. I go to just pet her and she pees...with tail wagging...sigh. We take them out every 90 minutes or so, but if they're just laying around sleeping we'll let them go 2-3 hours. We do crate train them...they're in the crates all night long and all day while we're at work/school and they don't have any accidents. They can go 8-9 hours in the crate without an accident. The girl puppy actually likes her crate and will go running full speed to get in when she knows it's time. The boy doesn't hate it, but isn't as excited about it as she is. Google crate training and you'll find lots of info about it. One important thing is to never, ever use the crate as punishment. It's supposed to be a safe and happy place for them. Also, the crate should only be big enough for them to lay down and turn around in...no bigger. Seems cruel, but it's not. Lucky for us, they aren't into chewing furniture or shoes, but puppies love to chew. We have rawhides and toys everywhere for them, so that they don't attack our stuff. So far, so good. Our laminate hardwood floors are taking an absolute beating, but we expected that. They love our older dog and want to play with him. He is very indifferent to them and would prefer they leave him alone. He tolerates them, but isn't in love with them. As much as the peeing and pooping thing can drive me nuts sometimes, I have to say I'm really glad we got them. Our kids are head over heels in love with them (and of course still love our older dog as much as ever) and they're a lot of fun. But they do require a lot of attention. We have to know where they are at all times, so that they don't get themselves into something they shouldn't.

Food costs aren't that bad. Places like Chewy.com have good deals. Plus, we're not into buying super expensive pet food. Purina or whatever works just fine for us. Toys aren't horribly expensive either. Our puppies love to play with dog toys we bought at Wal-Mart that ranged from the $.99 bin to maybe $12. Rawhides are a bit expensive, about $1/each when you buy the bigger bags...but they love them and it keeps them from chewing the furniture. When they go on sale, we buy in large quantities...after Xmas is a great time to go to PetSmart and snap up the Christmas ones (the dogs don't know the difference between a wreath shaped rawhide and a regular one). Vet bills will depend on you. We honestly don't take the dogs to the vet unless there's a specific need, like they're obviously ill or something like that. So those costs aren't bad.

All in all, dogs are fun. They're a lot of work, especially when they're puppies. I'm still of the mindset that I'd rather not own a dog, but I know my family is really happy...and yes, I enjoy the love all 3 of our dogs give us.

My negatives...
-have to kennel when we go away, expensive and he doesn't like it
-our dog is dog aggressive so we can't take him places (like Petsmart, dog park, even to the vet is embarrassing) and we have to walk him as we live in townhome and he goes nuts when we pass other dogs
-he will pee and poo in the house if left too long (and sometimes we walk him, for example, for like 15 mins and he doesn't poo but will come in and go 10 mins later). He also likes to pee on things sitting on floor (like to mark them)
- he has had bad teeth and needed dental cleanings and extractions which cost a lot of $$$$...and meds and shots at vet cost a lot...and now he's elderly, they do bloodwork and he has issues they then do tests for and he's now on allergy meds...just lots of costs and sometimes unexpected (tore his ACL a couple years ago). Plus, when they get really sick you are presented with the dilemma of do we spend a crazy amount of $$$$ with no guarantees of recovery (we had other dog that died from lymphoma)
- he, in his elderly years, has become restless at night and wakes us up super early. I am sitting here falling asleep while on the computer due to having many terrible nights sleep in a row thanks to that dog.
-also, today, it's rainy and cold and I have to walk him to go potty (and he's a smell everything and takes his sweet time to go potty...has to be just right). And snowy weather....uggg. Or when he needs to go out at creepy 2AM and DH is sound asleep....eeeek.
-he yaps at everything. Can't leave the door open with sun coming in the storm door because he sits and watches and barks nonstop.
-he hates getting groomed and has been kicked out of 3 groomers for nipping. I try to do it myself but he's nasty so I don't do it often (he's a cairn terrier and his hair is longish). I can at least bathe him. I have vet clip nails but it's another cost. He won't let me brush his teeth.
- if you are out (with friends or family or activities) you have to be home within X amount of time to let the dog out to potty or feed them. We go over friends for dinner and drinks and always have to cut short to get back to dog. (our dog can go about 5 hours and I've been a stay at homer but if I worked we'd have trouble getting him out to potty)

So you won't know temperament until you get them home and grown up a bit (mine was sweet as a puppy...actually he's gotten worse as he's aged...he is sweet with people, loves people unless they try to groom him, but dog aggressive and the stubborn in things like potty stuff). And pets are expensive and unexpected expenses will come up. And you can't just go away, you have to plan for doggy care while away. And then when major illness or injury, and eventually death, comes up you deal with the heartbreak. And extra work...like walking 4-5 times a day, feeding, bathing/grooming and extra housecleaning due to hair and dirt from dog.

(full disclosure...my dog is 12 and will be our last dog due to all I mentioned above...at least for many many years so I may not be the best one to respond to this thread)

Last edited:
Dogs are like children.....lots of work, unpredictable, and will find ways to test your patience LOL

I would echo a PP who pointed out that your daughter will be out of the house in the next couple of years, so whatever you decide really needs to be based on YOUR willingness to care for this dog and have it be a permanent fixture in your home when she is not there. If she goes away to college, you're the primary caregiver for 9-10 months of the year. If she moves out on her own, in some areas it can be VERY difficult to get an apartment that allows dogs (or charge extra per month plus a higher security deposit if you have one) so you may be faced with the dog living with you even if your original intent was for it to be "her" dog. Be very open-eyed about that before you commit.

They change your whole way of life - you can't leave a dog home alone for a couple of days the way you can with a cat, we had to change the way we take day trips and vacation. My dog has a disturbingly reliable "tummy alarm" so much like it was when I had toddlers, I don't get to sleep in just because it's a weekend or holiday because someone is asking for his breakfast (first by barking and then by sitting on my head LOL). He's a pain in the butt who occasionally gets into the garbage, barks at the most inconvenient times, chews my kids' toys and hides things under my bed. But he's also a love sponge who cuddles any chance he gets, loves to take walks around our neighborhood (and has gotten me walking more), and makes me laugh. He's a part of the family just as much as my kids are.

I wouldn’t get a dog for a 16 year old unless I wanted a dog. She’ll be off to college and then possibly “no pet” apartments. It could be years before she’s a settled adult with room for a dog. Our beloved rescue died when DD22 was in high school and she wanted another but DH and I didn’t so we didn’t get one. As expected she went away to college and spent one year dorming and then 3 in college “no pets” apartments. She graduated in May, moved to a new city, found a house with a yard, and adopted her long awaited dog- a three year old rescue.

If you do decide to get a dog, I highly recommend adopting a dog that is a couple of years old. A good rescue organization is very helpful with matching temperament to your lifestyle. Rescues of that age are often already house trained, as well.

I never had a dog growing up (my parents didn't want the hassle). As soon as I moved out I got my first dog and I continued to own dogs for the next 35 years.

At one point, I had three of them at one time. My last dog passed away at age 18 this summer. She was one we got from the shelter when she was 6 months old and was the best behaved dog of all that I had.

Anyway, as lonely as I am for another, I've said I won't get another. Why? Well, we both work all day and as I've gotten older, I've realized that it's sort of cruel to leave a dog for 10 hours alone. Sure, I might consider doing that again for a dog that is okay with that. I'd never do it to a puppy again.

Second, vet costs of increased considerably. As I said, at one point I owned three dogs and wasn't making very much money (also had two kids in daycare). Somehow I managed to pay for their routine care, teeth cleaning etc. For my last dog, I was stunned at how expensive it got. No way I could have owned three. Of course, having an older dog is more expensive because things start going wrong. But man, it was expensive.

Traveling. None of my dogs were ever thrilled with being boarded. The last one really didn't like it no matter where we went and she was just a mess for a week after.

So, I just don't know if I want to deal with all that again, but these are things you should really consider.

What becomes of the dog when DD is no longer living with you? At 16, she could be out of the house at least 2/3 of the year (if not permanently) in less than 2 years.
Gumbo & I are thinking the same thing. Is DD moving out at 18? School? Place of her own? Dogs are obviously great pets and are a like family to many people, but there is a lot of responsibility you don't encounter with your cat or bunny. We used to have dogs & cats but over the years we switched to cats only, they're lower maintenance.

So, younger daughter (turning 16 yrs old in a couple weeks) has been asking for a dog for forever. I've always told her No, but I'm now starting to cave a little, lol. He/she would be a combo birthday/Christmas gift for her.

I grew up with a dog and always enjoyed them, but they were very laid-back and lazy! My first dog was a a litttle mutt (looked like Benji) that was semi-old by the time I was born, and then when I was about 10 yrs old, we got a bassett hound that just laid around everywhere. So, in other words, I never had to really take care of a young, energetic dog.

My daughter has been researching majorly for a while now, and has asked for a Samoyed. It looks like this breed is friendly and won't have to worry about its temperament. I know this is a very active breed which is fine by me... we're a fairly active family (it's just me and my 18yo and 16yo daughters).

Here's some pros I've come up with off the top of my head:

1)We have a big yard and would plan on putting some sort of overhead run for him/her to get hooked up to.
2)Our neighbors are pet-friendly too, so they wouldn't mind if it barked occasionally.
3)We have lots of bike/hike trails and parks in our area to take it out to, and my daughter is looking forward to doing that.
4)Don't have to bathe them very often (although if we do, that's not a problem, we have an unfinished basement with an old shower down there for winter, or an outdoor spigot for summer)

And some cons:

1)We'd have to get him/her as a young puppy so that I could make sure it would adapt to our cat and bunny, and hopefully that would work.
2)They shed a lot, but have read that it's usually just at season changes.. but not really looking forward to a ton of hair all over the place, lol.
3)Heard they can attach to just one person.. not sure if this is true or not, but hoping he/she would attach to all of us.
4)They're expensive.. the cheapest I have found within driving distance to us is $950. Then all the vet bills, food, toys, etc.
5)Like to chew stuff or dig holes if bored? I'd have to make sure I'd get plenty of chew toys I guess.

And just a couple questions:

How long does it take to potty train? How often do you need to take them out usually?

Thanks!
Michelle
Have you visited a breeder in your area? Talked to them about the personality traits you are looking for and seeing if this breed is a good fit for you? They are pretty headstrong so need a firm (not cruel) hand in raising.

You said you are going to make a run for it outside. Is this going to be a house dog or are you planning on it living outside? Sammies are very pack oriented and do not do well living away from their pack outside.

Sammies do blow coat in the spring, but don't underestimate the amount of shedding they do year round. With that beautiful coat, they need weekly brushing. Black pants will be out from here on, :)

Make sure you do as much research into the breeder as you did into the breed you wanted. A good breeder is invaluable, not only for getting a quality dog with a temperament that best fits your lifestyle, but also as a mentor as you venture into a new breed. A dear friend of ours is one of the top Sammie breeders in the country. I got all my dogs from him before he switched breeds. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, like having good breeder behind you to guide you and answer any questions, especially for a first dog. We got our first dog from him over 20 years ago and he still is a good friend, one I can go to with any questions.

To find a responsible, reputable breeder, start with the National Breed club. Look for breeders in your area. Go visit the dog. If they don't have puppies, they can work their network and refer you to a good breeder who does. Do NOT impulse buy.
https://www.samoyedclubofamerica.org/

Here is the link to the regional breed clubs: Find a breed club in your area of the country and use them. Ask questions, visit dogs, interview breeders who follow the code of ethics, and then when you find a breeder you are comfortable with, get on their waitlist for a litter.

Just remember this is a 15 plus year commitment. Please don't be one of those people who get a dog then get rid of it when it gets hard.

And know the breeder. There are a LOT of issues with purebreds.

It depends on you but they can learn quick (say 7-8months) with PROPER training.

The first 3-4 months, just about every few hours. They can't hold it at first.

There are a lot of online resources as to how to do this. Just remember to be patient.

Crate training is basically getting the pup used top being kept in the "crate" or cage. It involves a lot of positive reinforcement using treats and what not. eventually, if done right, the dog begins to actually like their crate.

Do you have nice furniture? Not any more.
Throw rugs? Not any more.
Do you mind cleaning pee and poop on an almost constant basis? Good because you will be doing a lot of that too.

Are you going to get rid of the dog if it doesn't do what you want it to? If so, don't get one.

Puppies are a LOT of work. If I were you, I'd go to a shelter and get a good 2 year old dog. Rescue him/her from being killed. They are generally going to be easier to deal with if you choose well.

We have a 9 month old puppy right now and it is a LOT of work. But she is my responsibility and I don't give up on her.[/QUOTE]
If a puppy is not housebroken by 7-8 months and you are constantly cleaning poop and pee still at that age, I would be bringing my pup to the vet to see if there is a problem.

This can also a hallmark of a poorly bred backyard bred dog who lose their instinct of "keeping the den (house) clean," another reason to research breeders very, very carefully. A 3 month old puppy is capable of holding it for up to 4 hours. As long as you are consistent with letting them out every 3-4 hours, you should never be cleaning poop and pee in the house after 3 months.

But housebreaking help is one of the services provided by a good breeder who can guide you on proper housetraining.

Also, there is no guarantee that a puppy will work well with cats and bunnies, and no guarantee that the puppy will match all the desirable characteristics of its breed once it grows up.

if you want a certain temperament in a dog, go to the shelter and get an adult dog that has been temperament tested as good with cats and matches the personality you want in a dog. Most likely an adult dog will already be house-broken and crate trained so you can save yourself this step.
A good breeder will temperament test their litter (there is a long list of traits you look for) and can pretty much determine how closely to the breed standard for temperament the puppy will grow up to be. That is the nice thing about well bred purebred puppies (not puppy mill nor backyard bred dogs) that they usually breed true to temperament with only slight variations in temperament, such as one puppy may be bolder than another in the litter and will need a firmer hand raising. Buying a purebred dog from a good breeder who temperament tests the litter, coupled with good training, will yield you the most reliable temperament of any dog you can get.

I have had the same breed for over 20 years and every single one of them has the same type of stable temperament with only slight differences. The breed I have is a tough breed temperament wise, so when we started, the breeder placed a more laid back puppy with us. It was perfect to learn on. Now that we are experienced, we have a girl with a very tough temperament, but she is the love of our life because we knew how to work with her while growing up. If we had started out with her, we would have had to return her to the breeder because we would not have been knowledgeable enough to properly train her. The breeder should always help place a puppy with you, not let you just pick the cutest one out of the litter. Most people will pick the puppy that comes right up to them, but that can also be the puppy with the most alpha personality.

For a first dog, I would recommend getting a puppy from a good breeder who guides you through the process. I would be hesitant picking up an older dog that you don't know the background and how they were socialized or treated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!