Golf Courses and Alligators in regard to the recent Gator tragedy

jerseygal

DIS Veteran
Below is a link on a Gigantic Alligator who was spotted on a Golf Course in Palmetto, Florida.
My DH and DS's enjoy golfing while at Disney as well as other places, including Hilton Head.
This horrible gator tragedy brought to mind a reminder for all who golf in southern states to be "mindful" of the possibility of alligators, especially wherever there is water on the courses!:eek: VERY SCARY!:scared1:

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/152144772-story

A couple of years ago, my DH was playing on either the Magnolia or Oak Trail course (can't remember which one) and a gator came out of some vegetation onto the course. Of course, he and his golf partner picked up their stuff and moved to the next hole, lol. But, he knew not to chase any lost balls though! :eek:

Yes, we live in the Hilton Head area. The gators are always out sunning themselves on nice days. Once in a blue moon you'll see one here walking along the golf course. Not too often, but THEY DO. At night during April and May you can hear their mating calls which sounds like nothing less than a Tyrannesous Rex.(sp?) Spine chilling.

No wonder why I "hang back" and take the opportunity to relax at the resort while the guys go golfing!:scratchin:laughing::scared1:

We're golfing at Myrtle Beach for 10 days starting in 2 weeks and I expect to see more than a few on the courses. A few years back at Beechwood in Myrtle I was setting up for a shot near water, a large crane was standing about 20 feet away and as I went into my swing a gator lunged out of the water at the crane. He missed the crane but screwed up my shot.

Bill From PA

Mindful yes but Gators are mostly afraid of humans. If someone started to walk up on that big boy he would retreat faster to the water. Its when people feed gators and they associate humans with food that they no longer have that fear.

This was a tragedy but rare. All the factors were right for this gator to attack. Middle of summer at night with what it saw as a small mammal at the shore.

When we lived in Jax FL my husband would be on the golf course almost every friday afternoon and they had an alligator I think his name was Fred. Fred didn't bother them if they didn't bother fred. They would just move on if he was out.

My best friend in SE Louisiana has a public golf course across the street from her, and her parents house (being across the street) has it in their back yard. It would be unsurprising to see a gator near their property. Though it's a quiet neighborhood, I don't know if that contributes. The water hazards are literally a hazard to health, and there are several signs along the course that say do not enter water to retrieve your golf ball.

Mindful yes but Gators are mostly afraid of humans. If someone started to walk up on that big boy he would retreat faster to the water. Its when people feed gators and they associate humans with food that they no longer have that fear.

This was a tragedy but rare. All the factors were right for this gator to attack. Middle of summer at night with what it saw as a small mammal at the shore.
VERY SAD. Prayers and thoughts for this family.

My Dad has a photo from Georgia where he was golfing that had 3 alligators laying on a green. The course has rules for when alligators pose hazards (you get a penalty free drop from the nearest spot safely away from the gator as long as you are not closer to the hole), but on the green, they had to just skip finishing the hole. There was no way to play safely.

Just have to have awareness no matter what. One (sort of) reassuring thing is that alligators are slow on land, much slower than in water. They also have poor endurance because of their short limbs.

Below is a link on a Gigantic Alligator who was spotted on a Golf Course in Palmetto, Florida.
My DH and DS's enjoy golfing while at Disney as well as other places, including Hilton Head.
This horrible gator tragedy brought to mind a reminder for all who golf in southern states to be "mindful" of the possibility of alligators, especially wherever there is water on the courses!:eek: VERY SCARY!:scared1:

Gator was just chillin or he faniced a round of golf.

I love gators but obviously i would have moved far, far back and watched him from either behind or have walked about a mile away from his direction!

That specific alligator has been there for awhile. He is pretty well known to the locals.

It really bums me out that so many alligators are going to be killed because of this. My heart breaks for the family, but I don't think killing so many alligators is the thing to do.

That specific alligator has been there for awhile. He is pretty well known to the locals.

It really bums me out that so many alligators are going to be killed because of this. My heart breaks for the family, but I don't think killing so many alligators is the thing to do.
What do you think they should do when an alligator took the life of a two year old helpless little boy?:confused3 IMO, precautions must be taken to keep guests safe, try to protect lives including fining guests who feed aligators from the Poly bungaloes!:scared1::eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter