Gold Mobility Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking that Gold Mobility looks like a worthwhile company to do business with.
I have some questions for anyone experienced in ECV use at WDW.
I'm still recovering from joint and nerve damage courtesy of a bout with Sepsis last year.
Short distances with a cane are doable but the trek around the parks all day looks like a no go situation.
I will primarily need an ECV to get from point A to point B.
If I rent an ECV it'll be my first time. (I'm an ECV virgin :o)
Are there places at the attractions to park ECV's while on a ride or in a theater?
Same question for the restaurants and other snack locations like Karamell-Kuche and Les Halles Boulangeris-Patisserie?
Thanks.
Most of the rides are accessible with the ECVs. Unless you want to park them and walk through the lines. I usually ask the cast members where to park the ECV. They are very helpful in that regard.

Karamell-Kuche is definitely too small to take an ECV inside. Never been in the other one though.

I find that it’s easier to park my ECV and walk inside. Let’s me stretch my legs a bit.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

I asked the customer service guy at Gold Mobility when I placed my reservation yesterday a ton of questions because my mom or dad never used a scooter before either. My mom especially was nervous about using a scooter. He recommended the 3 wheel wheel one over the four wheel because mom and Dad were both inexperienced and will be putting them on bus. They will be using the scooters as a chair inside several the theaters and shows too. He said the three wheel scooters are much easier to turn, and get threw tight places better. He also claimed most shows and theaters including the Fantasmic show at Hollywood Studios (thats on our list) has special parking spots where you can stay on the scooter during the entire show. He claimed that you can drive the scooters into lots of restaurants, shops and threw most ride cues. In all cases he said Disney cast members will direct you to special scooter accessable entrance when needed. Gold Mobility offers in person delivery to everyone no matter what hotel your staying at that put my mom at ease. On delivery of the scooter he said they adjust it for comfort, spend as much time as you need to answer any in general questions you have, teach you proper operation, share tips, and go over things like charging, transporting, and such. Its been a great customer service experience so far. I was on the phone for 30 minutes. :)

I'm thinking that Gold Mobility looks like a worthwhile company to do business with.
I have some questions for anyone experienced in ECV use at WDW.
I'm still recovering from joint and nerve damage courtesy of a bout with Sepsis last year.
Short distances with a cane are doable but the trek around the parks all day looks like a no go situation.
I will primarily need an ECV to get from point A to point B.
If I rent an ECV it'll be my first time. (I'm an ECV virgin :o)
Are there places at the attractions to park ECV's while on a ride or in a theater?
Same question for the restaurants and other snack locations like Karamell-Kuche and Les Halles Boulangeris-Patisserie?
Thanks.

I drive my personal ECV through both KK & LHBP every trip. GO SLOWLY (can't stress that enough) and (ideally) have someone in your party help you clear the stanchions in the queue as you turn corners.

And welcome to our little corner of the DIS! :) Sorry you have to lose your ECV-Vcard, but at least you are planning and ready! :)

Remember that in the upper right corner of every page is that "Search... " box - use it just like you use Google, and search for "First Time ECV" and you should find TONS of posts with tips for newbies! :)

Have a great trip - and STOCK UP AT KK - you can take that caramel popcorn stuff home, (yes, it will get soggy) but spread it out on a parchment lined baking sheet and warm it in the oven (think 185 degrees preheated, for about 10 minutes) and it crisps right back up and makes your house smell like the best place at Epcot! :)

For those of you that have used GMS to rent a scooter before I chose my Free accessory as the sun shade canopy attachment. Does that canopy need to come off to transport on the Disney Busses or could we just leave them on? If it has to come off is it easy to do? Also will the bus driver help park the scooter on the bus?

I drive my personal ECV through both KK & LHBP every trip. GO SLOWLY (can't stress that enough) and (ideally) have someone in your party help you clear the stanchions in the queue as you turn corners.

And welcome to our little corner of the DIS! :) Sorry you have to lose your ECV-Vcard, but at least you are planning and ready! :)

Remember that in the upper right corner of every page is that "Search... " box - use it just like you use Google, and search for "First Time ECV" and you should find TONS of posts with tips for newbies! :)

Have a great trip - and STOCK UP AT KK - you can take that caramel popcorn stuff home, (yes, it will get soggy) but spread it out on a parchment lined baking sheet and warm it in the oven (think 185 degrees preheated, for about 10 minutes) and it crisps right back up and makes your house smell like the best place at Epcot! :)
Thanks.
And I'll be taking back as much of the Werther's caramel corn as I can cram into my flight luggage.
I think I'll get the optional rear basket on the Gold Mobility ECV so I can load up on my last night at EPCOT.
My five year old Granddaughter, and her Mom and Dad, will help me dispose of it. :-)
I've tried the Werther's caramel corn sold in stores but it's a disappointment after having it fresh from the mixing bowl at KK.
BTW it makes a great portable breakfast.
I think of it as puffy Frosted Flakes without the mess of the milk.

For those of you that have used GMS to rent a scooter before I chose my Free accessory as the sun shade canopy attachment. Does that canopy need to come off to transport on the Disney Busses or could we just leave them on? If it has to come off is it easy to do? Also will the bus driver help park the scooter on the bus?

Most likely it can stay on - I do not have any direct experience with Gold - but I hope you will take a teeny bit of advice regarding sunshades on ECVs (in general).

The first ECV I ever had to rent, I naturally got the sunshade. Because I suffer from a particularly painful and inconvenient form of sun allergy, I am always looking for ways to protect myself from the Florida sun. (At home, I'm basically a vampire/Queen of the Mole People, especially in the summer months LOL)

What I rapidly learned was this: The sunshade really doesn't do diddly squat to protect you from the sun, except under two very narrow conditions: First, when the sun is DIRECTLY overhead, it will offer some protection - for about an hour a day.

Second, any time that you are driving AWAY from the primary direction that the sun is shining, it will offer *some* protection, but the closer the sun is to the horizon (morning or evening) the less effect the sunshade has, because it just shines *through* the sunshade, onto the occupant, rather than being blocked.

In the meantime, others Guests will *not* like you. The sunshades are big, and cumbersome - and they block the ability of other pedestrians behind you to be able to see ahead of you when you are moving - thereby leaving them to guess if/when you will need to stop suddenly, since you will have no brake lights like a car.

When it comes to the bus, it makes it exponentially more difficult to drive the ECV on and off of the bus. And yes, the Bus Drivers will *help* you (they are allowed to give verbal commands, for example) but they are not supposed to actually load the ECV on the bus - they can get in trouble for that. You, or someone in your travel party, or some other Guest you "deputize" is supposed to drive the ECV on and off the bus. It's not hard to do, especially once you have practiced a few times, but the sunshade will make it more difficult to see where you are going, which can lead to problems with loading/unloading.

Finally, other Guests will have to step around you, and in front of you to be able to see parades, shows, etc, - thereby blocking your view, because your giant honking sunshade blocked *their* view when they were standing behind you.

It's tough enough to drive an ECV at WDW. The sunshade makes it tougher. It will impede your ability to back up (this is more important than you think) and for some reason, it really annoys bipedal (non ECV using) Guests.

What most folks in this forum recommend is a big old sun hat. If you are determined to create a larger shade pattern, then a parasol (but be very mindful of the others around you - you don't want to poke out someone's eye!) I personally have a clamp on trapezoid shaped umbrella, but I never use it at WDW (and I use it only sparingly at other outdoor events) because it's a pain in neck to keep it swiveled so that it shades me enough. I either make do with a hat or a parasol. And this, BTW, is from someone who has gone through the skin biopsies and tests and subsequently was diagnosed with PMLE.

Oh - and my first ECV rental? The one with the sunshade? I called the company on the second day, and asked them to come out and take the damn thing off. It nearly drove me crazy, along with everyone else around me. I went to the China pavilion at World Showcase, and bought myself the prettiest parasol I could find. I bring it with me every trip to WDW. :)

I'm *not* trying to scare you off of renting an ECV - but just want you to be aware of why you may want to consider a basket instead :)

That was some of my same concerns. I called back again yesterday to Bob at Gold Mobility to ask the same questions. They brought up many of the same points you brought up. I decided to keep the sun shade on the scooter we rented for my Dad during the trip. He has a very similar condition to yours. I exchanged the one on my moms for a basket to carry the Caramel corn. lol The GMS people said they would come, and exchange the accessory sun shade free anytime for a basket if we determined that it was to cumbersome to use. The also said that if my Mom was uncomfortable with the larger 3 wheel Victory scooter they world exchange that for a smaller one no charge or send someone out to give her driving tips until she was confortable. He said their particular sunshade design allows for quick removal if we decided to take it off for any reason. They use a different sunshade canopy than the manufacturer of the scooter provides. He said the one they use is completely open around all the sides for back up visibility. It covers the top only. We ordered two higher quality big old sun hats for them on line last night as a back up. So far the GMS people seem very patient, and very accommodating. On a side note that I was not aware of when I placed the reservation, they also include 8 rain ponchos with the 2 scooters which is more than enough for our entire group. That will save us a small fortune I'm sure. Thank you for the feedback. :-)

Last edited:

That was some of my same concerns. I called back again yesterday to Bob at Gold Mobility to ask the same questions. They brought up many of the same points you brought up. I decided to keep the sun shade on the scooter we rented for my Dad during the trip. He has a very similar condition to yours. I exchanged the one on my moms for a basket to carry the Caramel corn. lol The GMS people said they would come, and exchange the accessory sun shade free anytime for a basket if we determined that it was to cumbersome to use. The also said that if my Mom was uncomfortable with the larger 3 wheel Victory scooter they world exchange that for a smaller one no charge or send someone out to give her driving tips until she was confortable. He said their particular sunshade design allows for quick removal if we decided to take it off for any reason. They use a different sunshade canopy than the manufacturer of the scooter provides. He said the one they use is completely open around all the sides for back up visibility. It covers the top only. We ordered two higher quality big old sun hats for them on line last night as a back up. So far the GMS people seem very patient, and very accommodating. On a side note that I was not aware of when I placed the reservation, they also include 8 rain ponchos with the 2 scooters which is more than enough for our entire group. That will save us a small fortune I'm sure. Thank you for the feedback. :-)

They will also give you a "shower cap" for the controls in case it rains!

Something really cool today! When I placed my reservations for the two scooters with Gold Mobility I told the customer service agent during our conversation that my mom wasn't familiar with scooter operations, or navigating threw the parks with the scooter. He said he would personally mail us a guide with some helpful tips on operation. I expected a 5-10 page safety guide. We received a 50 page book with operations manual, theme park planning guide for people with disabilities, and a full set of special handicapped access maps for all the parks that Disney publishes themselves too. All sent express mail no charge. This is what I call customer service. Now if I can just get this grocery delivery service to work the same way! lol :rotfl2:

I'm so glad I found this thread! It sounds like you all are quite pleased with this company's service so I'll give them a try.
Question: How far in advance should not make rental reservations? I'll be visiting WDW at the end of September.

I've already made mine for my mid-September trip. Personally, I feel it's always best to have it on their books.

I've already made mine for my mid-September trip. Personally, I feel it's always best to have it on their books.

I reserved them for my mid-September trip also. I'll be at BCV, so if you see a solo on a GMS, that may be me. So many good reports here, I decided to give them a try. Also, I really like that they'll meet me at the ME bus so I have it right away.

So I have a question I have placed a order to rent an ECV from Cloud of Good bc their price was unbeatable and so far their customer service, their website says they drop off to bell services the night before I check in. They aren't a "Preferred Vedor" so does this mean they cannot? Im staying at the Dolphin at beginning of our trip so that may not matter for the drop off but I check out at the end of trip from Polynesian Villas and Bungalows will there be a problem with leaving it with bell services when I leave?

Ok so I called and the Dolphin can accept the ECV since they don't go by the "preferred" list Thank God! Ill just have to co ordinate a meeting to pick up at PVB which shouldn't be an issue

Last edited:
Well............
I spoke to Nick at Gold Mobility a short while ago and reserved an ECV for my August trip.
He was extremely helpful and made the reservation process go smoothly.
He also said that they don't advertise in media outlets and rely on word of mouth, or print in this case, to spread the word.
This strategy seems to be working for them............

Well............
I spoke to Nick at Gold Mobility a short while ago and reserved an ECV for my August trip.
He also said that they don't advertise in media outlets and rely on word of mouth, or print in this case, to spread the word.

One of the times I called Gold Mobility for scooter rental questions I talked to Nick, and the second time I talked to Bob. They were both so nice, and so patient letting me ask question after question. Very informative, helpful, and when I placed my reservation it went quickly and smoothly. They really have a great program. We are looking forward to our upcoming reservation for my Mom and Dad's scooters with them.

Well............

When I talked to Nick last month and reserved mine for November he told me that also. When he asked where I heard about them, I told him from the Dis boards and this thread. He said they have been getting a lot of recommendations from DisBoards!

One of the times I called Gold Mobility for scooter rental questions I talked to Nick, and the second time I talked to Bob. They were both so nice, and so patient letting me ask question after question. Very informative, helpful, and when I placed my reservation it went quickly and smoothly. They really have a great program. We are looking forward to our upcoming reservation for my Mom and Dad's scooters with them.

When I talked to Nick last month and reserved mine for November he told me that also. When he asked where I heard about them, I told him from the Dis boards and this thread. He said they have been getting a lot of recommendations from DisBoards!
Whenever I see a Gold Mobility scooter I'll wonder if it's a forum member.
Maybe we need a "secret signal" to acknowledge our kinship.
Like the one from Team America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter