Going to WDW without kids....question...

ohiominnie

<font color=teal>It's interesting when you google
We are planning an "adult only" trip to WDW in August. Actually, it will be me, dh, MIL and her dh. Kids (6,4) will stay with grandma and grandpa. I never thought I'd go to WDW without kids, but the idea came up-- it IS our 10th anniversary-- and we're excited to do the things that "bore" our kids (most of Epcot, for example--or just a day to sit on a beach)

The question is....Do you TELL your children where you are going????? We've hinted to our kids that sometime we *may* want to go to WDW alone and they are adamantly opposed to any such plan (not like they have a choice, mind you) They LOVE Disney and can't believe we'd even THINK the thought of leaving them behind.

Should we just sneak out of the house and pretend we're going somewhere else?? Of course, we couldn't bring home any pictures or souveniers that way!!!

ohiominnie :p

I wouldnt tell them , i actually wouldnt tell anyone. When I told my friends and fam that we were thinking of going for our 5th anniversary. YOU SHOULD HAVE HEARD the negative things people said! I said POOP on YOU I just wont tell ya! LOL

This is a tough one. I've done Disney without kids, but it was before I had kids. Personally, although WDW is fun I think I'd want to go somewhere where I really wouldn't want kids (like a nice island in the Caribbean or a real European country instead of make believe at Epcot) and somewhere that I wouldn't see kids all the time to remind me that I didn't take them.

I'm not good at keeping secrets. If you think your entire family that is going can keep a secret, then no I wouldn't tell them. I think they would be too upset. I don't know how you tell them the truth.

For me - the whole fun is watching my kids have fun. But, I did work the Disney bug out. We used to live near Disneyland and go a couple of times a year. After a while, the magic does fade a little. We were also lucky enough to be able to go during the times of year when the park wasn't crowded and we could ride our favorites over and over until we were sick of them.

I'd say tough it out and tell them. If you're comfortable with your decision to go, you should be willing to tell them why. I think it would be better than having to lie to them about it.

Tom

I agree with the last poster. How could you keep this a secret forever? It's not good to lie either.

I, myself, would never go to WDW without my kids, maybe some where else, but not WDW. Too much guilt and they'd be so hurt.

Anyway, good luck in what you decide.

I hear what everyone is saying BUT if they would be that upset why tell them b4 you go. Why not tell them after you come back.. Tell them its a big surprise and you dont know where your going til you get there! I mean I agree with everyone about traveling with the kids is alot of fun.. BUT what I wouldnt give for some alone WDW time with hubby!

You will know what the right thing to do is!

they would be sooo hurt. I also would have difficulty with the guilt that I would feel, and I am not sure that I would enjoy myself when I got there. I agree with the posters above that you should tell them before the trip. They are likely to figure it out unless you and your spouse don't tell a single soul, and even then you and spouse won't be able to discuss the trip much because little ears hear a lot. Our 10th anniversary is in Oct. this year. I am debating whether we take DSs to WDW with us or go somewhere else without DSs. If we go to WDW, then I will make ressies for 1 dinner without DSs, and send them to one of the kids' clubs. Good luck and Happy Anniversary! Pamela

We are doing this for our ten year anniversary ourselves.

How about this? We are technically going to Universal, and we told our kids that the height requirements they are not big enough... (its true... my son is 50 inches, instead of the required 54 for the good coasters), and they have a lot of 3D there... My son and daughter did not like the 3D.

so that settled that. We said do you want to go to the 3d park? A resounding No!

Also they saw the video, the Jaws seemed a bit scary to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter