Going to Sequoia & Yosemite - Can Hardly Wait

WebmasterMaryJo

Techarita
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to be camping in Sequoia this summer for a couple of nights, then heading to Yosemite (Curry Village) for a couple of nights. I can hardly wait! :goodvibes

Lucky You, we camped in Sequoia 2 summers ago, was Awesome, esp the Bears , although a bit scary as we dont have bears in Ireland lol

I understand that it's been really dry this year. They're no longer taking reservations at Dorst Creek because they might run out of water and will send campers with reservations there to other campgrounds if they close it.

Not sure if they'll have fire restrictions.

I understand that it's been really dry this year. They're no longer taking reservations at Dorst Creek because they might run out of water and will send campers with reservations there to other campgrounds if they close it.

Not sure if they'll have fire restrictions.

Wow! That'll be a first, that I know of. I plan on getting there early and checking out Dorst campground. Lodgepole usually reaches capacity before the other campgrounds, so I'm interested where they will send guests if they run out of water at Dorst.

I looked up more info. No wood or BBQ fires below 6,000 ft except in campgrounds. I think that means backpackers can't set up campfires and no use of grills at picnic areas. I do remember complete bans on wood fires when I was visiting Zion NP, although we were staying in Springdale.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/upload/Stage-1-Fire-Restrictioins-06-01-13.pdf

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.co...a-kings-canyon-national-park-campgrounds23489

I'm not sure if the water issues will also affect the Forest Service campgrounds like Princess or Stony Creek (I've camped there before). Most remote national parks rely on local water sources and have their own treatment plant.

I'm going to be camping in Sequoia this summer for a couple of nights, then heading to Yosemite (Curry Village) for a couple of nights. I can hardly wait! :goodvibes

Cool! We are going to be staying in Curry Village for a couple nights in about 4 weeks. We are going on an epic (for us anyway) road trip to California from St. Louis (with stops in San Francisco, Yosemite, Disneyland, and Grand Canyon). Never been to Yosemite before, but we've ridden the Soarin' ride in EPCOT countless times. The hang glider scene in Yosemite Valley takes my breath away every time! I'm super excited to see Yosemite Valley in person. Like you, we also can hardly wait!!! :cool1:

My sister wants to visit Sequoia Nat'l park when we visit Disneyland next year. But we are now planning on going the end of March. We'd stay in a hotel for a night or two. It does look like a beautiful area.

Cool! We are going to be staying in Curry Village for a couple nights in about 4 weeks. We are going on an epic (for us anyway) road trip to California from St. Louis (with stops in San Francisco, Yosemite, Disneyland, and Grand Canyon). Never been to Yosemite before, but we've ridden the Soarin' ride in EPCOT countless times. The hang glider scene in Yosemite Valley takes my breath away every time! I'm super excited to see Yosemite Valley in person. Like you, we also can hardly wait!!! :cool1:

I will be there Aug 12 and 13.

One tome, I took my kids for the weekend. Left at 1:30am and ended up on Glacier Pt by 7:30. We were able to watch the hand gliders take off. This was before Soarin', si every time I see that part it takes me back to that early morning experience. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My sister wants to visit Sequoia Nat'l park when we visit Disneyland next year. But we are now planning on going the end of March. We'd stay in a hotel for a night or two. It does look like a beautiful area.

It's going to be cold there in March at the higher elevations, and there will likely be snow on the ground. They plow Generals Highway, but you may need chains depending on the conditions. If you plan of checking out any of the sequoia groves (all at 5000 ft elevation or higher), be prepared for cold weather and slow road conditions. Conditions are often the worst at lower elevations where the snow melts and refreezes into black ice.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/Tire-Chain-Handout-English-Spanish-for-web-ms.pdf

Here are some photos someone took of Generals Highway in March 2009:

IMG_5491_mod_screen_s.gif
IMG_5683_mod_screen_s.gif

It's going to be cold there in March at the higher elevations, and there will likely be snow on the ground. They plow Generals Highway, but you may need chains depending on the conditions. If you plan of checking out any of the sequoia groves (all at 5000 ft elevation or higher), be prepared for cold weather and slow road conditions. Conditions are often the worst at lower elevations where the snow melts and refreezes into black ice.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/Tire-Chain-Handout-English-Spanish-for-web-ms.pdf

Here are some photos someone took of Generals Highway in March 2009:

IMG_5491_mod_screen_s.gif
IMG_5683_mod_screen_s.gif

If you do decide to go in March, bcla has some really great points. If you happen to go during a dry time, I'm sure you'll need to have chains just in case, and you should really only go up to Grant Grove in Kings Canyon. You may not be able to go to the Giant Forest in Sequoia.

If you do decide to go in March, bcla has some really great points. If you happen to go during a dry time, I'm sure you'll need to have chains just in case, and you should really only go up to Grant Grove in Kings Canyon. You may not be able to go to the Giant Forest in Sequoia.

They always plow along Generals Highway, but the road may be closed during a snow storm and/or while they're plowing. Grant Grove isn't bad, but Giant Forest is really the star attraction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter