Going to Aulani on a tight budget - stuff to do

Dolf

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are going to Aulani from the 8/14/13-8/18/13 (Wed-Sun). They main reason we are going is that my cousin is getting married on that Friday. Realistically, we will only have 3 days to enjoy HI and Aulani. I know it's not a lot of time, but it's the best I can do given the circumstances. I have been to HI before, but my wife has not, and I want to make sure I plan on a fun vacation for her. We will most likely buy some groceries and have breakfast and a couple dinners in the hotel room. We will be bringing our own snorkeling gear, so we will be doing some snorkeling. I know she definitely wants to visit Pearl Harbor, so we will be doing that. Are there any "must do" things I should consider putting on our list? Also are there anythings that are overrated and we should skip? I think we will be renting a car. I know as DVC members we get free parking at Aulani. How is parking on the Island? I've never been while renting a car. If we wanted to drive into Waikiki, how much do are we probably going to spend in parking? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Parking costs almost everywhere in Honolulu except at some of the shopping centers. What you can do is part at Ala Moana Center (You could also check out the Disney Store there too!) and take a bus from there into Waikiki Beach area. Buses cost $2.50 each way -- Have correct change. You can get a transfer ticket which will let you ride another bus up to 2 hours from the time you leave, I think.

Drive up to the North Shore and eat at a Shrimp Truck for lunch. Go to the Rainbow Drive-in and have a plate lunch. Have drinks and Tapas at the bar at Dukes on Waikiki beach and watch the sunset. Dole Plantation has parts that are free and parts that cost money. And you can get a Dole Whip!

Aloha!
Take that scenic drive around the island and stop everywhere to take pics! Pack some food, bring your camera and stop at any state park (beach) for lunch! All parking at state parks and lookouts are free! Head back to Aulani and don't miss the sunset from the lagoon.....awesome (and free day) on the island!

Check out the Aloha Stadium flea market, cheap souvenirs for folks back home, couple of bucks for parking.

Diamondhead (hike) and Hanauma Bay (snorkeling) are great stops for cheap-er activities.....both under $20 for 2 people.

Stay away from any of the luaus and the Polynesian Cultural Center, they are all leeches/hard sells....

Relax and enjoy!

I recommend going to Costco for food if you have a membership the cost of food was similar to being stateside vs. foodland which was very expensive. Get some POG (passion - orange - guava) juice its awesome they sell it in the aulani giftshop for $2.95 a carton vs Orange Juice was $6.95. We must have drank 5 cartons of the stuff when we stayed for a week between the 7 of us. It is similar to the juice they have at the breakfast buffet at Animal Kingdom and the lodge.

Seeing the Arizona Memorial at pearl harbor is free, but the submarine and battleship cost extra. Parking on Wakikki beach was $15 for us in a parking garage when we went to eat at Dukes.

My wife and I are going to Aulani from the 8/14/13-8/18/13 (Wed-Sun). They main reason we are going is that my cousin is getting married on that Friday. Realistically, we will only have 3 days to enjoy HI and Aulani. I know it's not a lot of time, but it's the best I can do given the circumstances. I have been to HI before, but my wife has not, and I want to make sure I plan on a fun vacation for her. We will most likely buy some groceries and have breakfast and a couple dinners in the hotel room. We will be bringing our own snorkeling gear, so we will be doing some snorkeling. I know she definitely wants to visit Pearl Harbor, so we will be doing that. Are there any "must do" things I should consider putting on our list? Also are there anythings that are overrated and we should skip? I think we will be renting a car. I know as DVC members we get free parking at Aulani. How is parking on the Island? I've never been while renting a car. If we wanted to drive into Waikiki, how much do are we probably going to spend in parking? Any help would be great. Thanks!

You can always just relax at the resort and enjoy the pool and beach, however driving to the North Shore is always fun while stopping at various beaches. Parking was free. I also enjoy hiking up to Diamond Head but that drive can be a little crazy especially during rush hour and you want to get there early to avoid the heat. The entry fee to Diamond Head is $5 for a car and $1 for pedestrians but it's a long walk so I would park. Hiking Diamond Head can be done in less than an hour but take your time and enjoy the wonderful views. Even with that you have plenty of time to do something else. After Diamond Head I recommend you go to Hanauman Bay Nature Preserve for some snorkeling. Parking is $1 and entry into the preserve is $7.50. Lot's to see but visability can get bad if too many people are in the water kicking up the sand. Have a great time.

We are arriving the day after you leave. We'll be there 8/19 - 8/28. This is a great thread, we are also renting a car and wanted ideas of things to do. :cool1:

Honestly, I wouldn't plan on doing much! Aulani is a gorgeous, relaxing resort, and you will want to spend a lot of time there. In the amount of time you have, going to Pearl Harbor and doing the drive around the island would get my votes. You will have seen the whole island which is super fun and scenic and low cost. DH and I did that very thing on our first trip together to Oahu, when we were there for only four days.

What I would not do is try to go to a lot of place and do a lot of things. Time flies by and you will be looking at each other on the plane home and say "WHY didn't we spend more time at Aulani?" Are they still doing the Starlit Hui? If so, that can be your free "luau".

I agree with the OP, take a lot of pictures, ask others to take pics of you two together so you are both in them and have a ball!! You will LOVE Aulani!!:cool1::thumbsup2

Parking in Waikiki is a PITA. Some Beach Walk stores will validate for 2 hours free.

If you google parking waikiki there is a website with a list of free parking, or there are meters near Kuhio and parking along Ala Wai (but it's hard to find). I'm sure others can chime in.

We did not spend alot at all during the Aulani portion of our trip, mainly b/c we'd been there before and didn't bother to eat at fancy restaurants this time. Try the shrimp trucks and take out places. They're a good deal and lots of fun (my Aulani TR is in my signature).

If you're on a budget you can also skip any luaus, since the show at Aulani is much better than most.

Honestly, I wouldn't plan on doing much! Aulani is a gorgeous, relaxing resort, and you will want to spend a lot of time there. In the amount of time you have, going to Pearl Harbor and doing the drive around the island would get my votes. You will have seen the whole island which is super fun and scenic and low cost. DH and I did that very thing on our first trip together to Oahu, when we were there for only four days.

What I would not do is try to go to a lot of place and do a lot of things. Time flies by and you will be looking at each other on the plane home and say "WHY didn't we spend more time at Aulani?" Are they still doing the Starlit Hui? If so, that can be your free "luau".

I agree with the OP, take a lot of pictures, ask others to take pics of you two together so you are both in them and have a ball!! You will LOVE Aulani!!:cool1::thumbsup2

Ttoally agree! We didn't spend a lot of money at aulani. We were there 10 days and I think our resort charges were about $400. Then gas, groceries and a few meals out. It was the airfare that killed us.

If you will be in town on a Sunday evening, try to visit the Kona Brewing Company at the Koko Marina.

Usually on Sunday evenings at 6, there is local entertainment by Ledward Kaapana. You never know who will stop in to perform with Led. Led is considered one of Hawaii's slack-key masters.

I hear that the beer and food are pretty good, as well. If you go, tell Ledward that Dawn sent you.

Thank you all for the great advice so far. I think we are definitely going to luaus because the last time I went, while the entertainment was very good, I wasn't really that thrilled with the food. The pig was dry and tasteless, and so were all the sides. Plus since we didn't have a car, we had to the bus ride, which pretty much killed the day. I didn't know about Starlit Hui so I think we're definitely going to do that, plus I don't think you can go wrong with Disney entertainment. I think we are going to be doing a lot of relaxing, but one thing I definitely want to do that I didn't do the last time is just drive around and see the island.

I think we'll make a stop at Costco, but I hope we don't overbuy food. They tend to sell things in bulk, but maybe I might throw a little party since a handful of family members will be out for the wedding.

I mentioned the slack-key master to my wife, and she said she definitely wants to drop by and see that.

Please keep them coming. I would love to hear more perspectives. We have a little less than a couple months to start planning. So far we have our accommodations and and flights covered. Is there certain amount of cash I should have on hand? Is $50 a day going to cover me?

If you are renting a car, try Hawaiian Discount Car Rentals. We used them in January and they booked us through Alamo at about 50% of what I could find from others, including Costco Travel. Using them again in October, paying $222 for a mid size for 8 days.

Pearl Harbor is a must. Make sure you drive to the north shore and stop at the shrimp trucks. We also hiked Diamond Head and the views were outstanding and yes, take your time. We spent 1/2 a day at Diamond Head and then the other 1/2 at Kualoa Ranch, the movie ranch. Tours are about $26 per person.

But as others have said, you may never want to leave Aulani, that's why we are flying back in October. :banana:

I agree! We were there last month. We did Pearl Harbor and some sightseeing while we were in Waikiki, but once we got to Aulani we ditched a lot of our plans because we were enjoying the resort so much we didn't want to leave. We did go to the Dole Plantation and took a drive to the North Shore for lunch, but we couldn't wait to get back to Aulani!!

I would skip Waikiki ... It's a big dirty city that happens to be located next to a beautiful beach.

Almost forgot.....if your heading to Costco to save on breakfasts and lunches.....why not grab some steak/chicken/whatever you prefer and use the free gas grills at Aulani!!!??

Check out the national parks website for reservations to get to the actual Arizona Memorial. there's only a handful of tickets available day-of, so plan ahead if you can.

Starlit Hui is Sun/Thurs, but can change depending on what else is going on at the Resort. Took my brother and his wife and their toddler and we all had a grand time.

Starbucks just opened at the marriott next door, and a new pizza place opened up across the street, next to Just Tacos.

if you rent a car, remember there's no gas station in ko'olina, you'll have to fill up in Kapolei (about 2.5 miles).

parking in waikiki gets expensive quickly. If you don't mind the walk, park at Kapiolani Park on the eastern end of Waikiki, or like Dolf suggested, park at Ala Moana Shopping Center (or Ala Moana Beach Park) which is the western end of Waikiki.

If you're interested, Bishop Museum has some really cool exhibits, great history... but it's like $20/person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter