Going strollerless

lostangel52577

Earning My Ears
I’ve been debating for a year whether to use a stroller, or not, for DD3 for our February WDW trip. She’s 3 months short of 4 years old and very active, energetic. We only ever use a stroller at Disneyland (we’re local). We did a test run last week at Disneyland without the stroller and she lasted 5 hours and was still running at the end (and one of those hours was running all over Tom Sawyers Island). We don’t plan on doing long days at WDW. We will always take midday breaks at the hotel and some evenings not return to any park.

I’m pretty confident she can get through the day without a stroller but I’m not sure she can do that 10 days in a row. Any experience, tips, or advice regarding how kids might hold up over a ten day trip?

You're going to get a wide variety of responses about stroller usage on this board, its a pretty hot topic!

We took our 4yo in November for a week and the stroller was a necessity for us. We were able to move a lot quicker with it than we would have without, and it offered her a space of her own when the crowds were overwhelming. We had not used a stroller at home in at least a year (I had to literally dust the cobwebs off!), even for trips to the zoo and the fair. She also napped a few times in it. We'll be taking it again in Sept and she'll be 2 months shy of 5. I also like having the storage so I don't have to carry everything on me the whole time. I'll admit that folding it for the bus gets annoying, but not as annoying as carry an extra 40lbs!

If you don't want to take a stroller would you be willing to rent one if needed? Our kids could go all day at MK without one but Epcot was a different story. Disneyland is much more compact than WDW and you may find her legs have a little harder time at WDW. If you don't want to deal with a large stroller pick up an umbrella stroller. Have a great time.

At 3 years old DEFINITELY take a stroller an umrella one that folds easily is handy. AK and EP especially can be very tiring and I imagine by the end of a 10 day trip she will really need the break. Typically the stroller debates on here involve kids that are 6 or 7 yrs old cause the walking can even be a lot for them. But 3, yeah I wouldn’t chance it unless you are willing to rent a stroller at the park.

I’ve been debating for a year whether to use a stroller, or not, for DD3 for our February WDW trip. She’s 3 months short of 4 years old and very active, energetic. We only ever use a stroller at Disneyland (we’re local). We did a test run last week at Disneyland without the stroller and she lasted 5 hours and was still running at the end (and one of those hours was running all over Tom Sawyers Island). We don’t plan on doing long days at WDW. We will always take midday breaks at the hotel and some evenings not return to any park.

I’m pretty confident she can get through the day without a stroller but I’m not sure she can do that 10 days in a row. Any experience, tips, or advice regarding how kids might hold up over a ten day trip?
I would want the stroller if you plan on any of the night shows/firework shows. a lot easier to keep her close in the crowd which can make holding hands impossible. crowds are very different at WDW plus parking is further and at MK you will have to get in line for either the monorail and ferry to get to the tram to get to your car or walk to the bus line then stand and wait for bus. it is nothing like leaving Disneyland that I remember

I think you will need it. It is a tremendous amount of walking for little legs day in day out. My two were 7 and 5 on our recent trip and we needed the stroller just about every other day and most nights if we went back out. Truthfully it was also easier to get around at crowded times.

There is such a huge difference in the amount of walking at WDW vs. DLR. Definitely plan for a stroller. You can always park it for a while if you don’t need it the whole day.

WDW parks are significantly larger then DL parks. You could plan to rent from disney as needed or bring an umbrella stroller? Nothing is worse then carrying an exhausted toddler from the back of a park to the bus/car etc. Our stroller spends a lot of time parked somewhere safe but comes in handy when trying to cross a park in a timely manner plus it holds all out “stuff” which is so convenient :) I keep an empty tote bag with us to toss all our “stuff” in before we load on the bus - definitely helps versus trying to “repack”

Another vote for stroller.

My daughter was a day shy of 4 on our last visit a couple weeks ago. I didn’t know if I wanted to bring a single stroller (just for my 2 year old) or our sit & stand so my oldest could sit down too. She is very active at home and rarely uses a stroller. Her seat is not a full seat, just a little bench and that was plenty. I am very glad I brought it.

Here’s why:

-It was VERY crowded. I was thankful to be able to have her in the stroller when we were in crowd traffic jams. People were pushing and trying to squeeze ahead - I liked having her protected in there so we didn’t get split up and so she didn’t get knocked over. People in the tightly packed crowds are not usually looking down - usually over and around the people in front of them trying to find a spot to move into.

- It was nice to have a spot for her to sit and have a drink, eat a snack, etc. I prefer my kids to sit when they eat, so that was nice.

-In case of rain: I like having a spot for the kids to take cover when it rains.

You could also go without and just rent a Disney one if she is struggling to keep up. But really I’d just bring the stroller. We have also been to Disneyland before and WDW is so much bigger, I think a stroller would be wise.

I'm going to go against the popular opinion and say that it can totally be done without a stroller, depending on the child and your touring style. We took our daughter for the first time at 3 years old (2 months shy of 4) and did not bring a stroller. We walked at her pace (which honestly was usually as fast as I would have gone anyway) and took breaks anytime she said she was tired. We always take afternoon breaks anyway but if she wanted to just sit on a bench and rest then we did. There were a couple of nights that I carried her out of the park but that was mostly preference as we were trying to beat the fireworks crowds out. I do not regret not taking a stroller at all. I loved not having to worry about it during the trip.

It can be done without a stroller if you are willing to slow down a little bit. Our oldest was 3 on our first trip and he didn't use a stroller. The only time over the 13-day trip that he asked for one was after Fantasmic one night. DH was carrying our 15-month old, so 3-yo rode to the bus in the stroller. Our younger son used a stroller the trip that he was 3 but refused when he was 4. We took the stroller that trip but it stayed in the trunk of the car.

I think a big factor is going to depend on weather. My energetic kids are less energetic when walking around in the Florida heat and humidity. February is an odd time. We’ve been there in February in tank tops and we’ve been there in jackets. I would take a look at your weather first before deciding.

Also, how big is your child? If you don’t mind carrying her a mile or two at the end of the bight when she falls asleep, then a stroller isn’t needed. If you feel like she would be too heavy to do that, I’d bring one.

Being able to do DL for one day (or even two) is a lot different than multiple days at WDW. To me, it was not so much as can they handle a day, but do they have the stamina to do multiple (and potentially exhausting) days in a row?

We used a stroller for WDW trips up until 6 years old ish, honestly. My boyfriend's 8 year old will still hop in a rental stroller in the afternoon if we let her.
It is a TON of walking. Minimum of 7-8 miles per day, and that is only doing afternoons (we like to sleep in)
One day is fine - MULTIPLE days is a whole other story.

My DD gave up the stroller at WDW at 3. On a ten day trip, I took it to the park on day 1. She took a stroller nap that day because she was up at 3:30AM for our flight. I took an umbrella stroller for that trip and I hated pushing that thing on Day 1 so I just never took it out of the room again. With no stroller option, she never asked to sit in a stroller, and we do 10-12 hour days (For her, out of sight, out of mind). Her brother on the other hand is totally different. Now at age 4.5, he will get a stroller at Disney, but he's been told that it will only be for the 2nd half of the day. He doesn't have her energy, and he is a whiner, but most importantly, he still takes naps. I will park it somewhere until needed.

If you decide to take a stroller, I recommend not taking a little umbrella stroller. It seems like a good idea until you have to actually use it!! My only issue with giving up a stroller is storage. I was at the mall today without kids, and I was wishing I had a stroller!

pinched this picture from another thread:

MK_Parking_DL.jpg

ixclja.jpg

My now six year old has run a 5k with me and we still bring her in a stroller to the parks. Just a small umbrella one. It has come in very handy by about 11:00 in the morning, once she's gotten very tired from all the moving around from place to place. Plus, I agree, it allows us to move faster as a group.

Definintely get a stroller. WDW involves vastly more walking and is far more exhausting than DLR. I always feel bad for parents I see with no stroller carrying their sleeping kids after a long day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter