Going next week - no tickets, only hotel - analysis paralysis!!

ljbrandt

Earning My Ears
I was offered some (extended) last minute time off of work and the wife and I decided this would be the best (and maybe ONLY) opportunity to take the kiddos (6 & 11) to Disney World for awhile. FYI - I haven't been since I was 12, back in 1993.

I typically have a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out) when taking family on vacations...Disney is seriously going to be problematic for me in this regard. My wife is completely the opposite which can make things worse, lol. The problem is, we just secured hotel reservations for our stay, but have not yet bought tickets - so no FP+ or dining reservations secured yet. Waiting on mid-month mousesavers newletter link for addtl UT ticket discounts. :-)

The plan right now is to arrive on Saturday, 7/20 - stay in Disney Springs (found good deal on hotwire) and depart Wed 7/24. I'm hoping to find some good last minute FP availability "day of" park visiting...I have no idea about the dining plans.

Trip itinerary:
Sunday - MK or AK (can't make up mind which - so many opinions on this one)
Monday - Epcot
Tues - MK or AK (depending on Sunday choice)

I love the idea of a touring plan but there are so many options, I can't seem to decide on one. It gets even harder considering I don't know what I'm going to be able to reserve yet I like the idea of covering a lot of ground in the AM at rope drop (not using many FP's), taking a sit down lunch break during the afternoon heat and then using most FP's after lunch when it is busier. I'd also like to maybe experience some of the high demand rides with GOOD lines without a fastpass at least once - Avatar, Everest & Haunted Mansion I think are good one's I've read.

Putting my concerns down in writing helps a bit ease my mind, but what would you do in this scenario? Is the table service dining a big no-no to pass up (if any are even available at this point)? I know this is going to be a fun trip regardless, but just looking for some tips/advice on my planning so far.

I suggest the easy path.

Go to touring plans .com. Subscribe. Look at their park predictions and pick your days based on that. Apply the applicable touring plan to your now chosen parks. Look at restaurants and decide if you want ADRs or just QS restaurants. Try for FP when available, but if not, follow the touring plan. Don’t read too much. You’ll stress yourself out! Have a great mini vacation.

I was offered some (extended) last minute time off of work and the wife and I decided this would be the best (and maybe ONLY) opportunity to take the kiddos (6 & 11) to Disney World for awhile. FYI - I haven't been since I was 12, back in 1993.

I typically have a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out) when taking family on vacations...Disney is seriously going to be problematic for me in this regard. My wife is completely the opposite which can make things worse, lol. The problem is, we just secured hotel reservations for our stay, but have not yet bought tickets - so no FP+ or dining reservations secured yet. Waiting on mid-month mousesavers newletter link for addtl UT ticket discounts. :-)

The plan right now is to arrive on Saturday, 7/20 - stay in Disney Springs (found good deal on hotwire) and depart Wed 7/24. I'm hoping to find some good last minute FP availability "day of" park visiting...I have no idea about the dining plans.

Trip itinerary:
Sunday - MK or AK (can't make up mind which - so many opinions on this one)
Monday - Epcot
Tues - MK or AK (depending on Sunday choice)

I love the idea of a touring plan but there are so many options, I can't seem to decide on one. It gets even harder considering I don't know what I'm going to be able to reserve yet I like the idea of covering a lot of ground in the AM at rope drop (not using many FP's), taking a sit down lunch break during the afternoon heat and then using most FP's after lunch when it is busier. I'd also like to maybe experience some of the high demand rides with GOOD lines without a fastpass at least once - Avatar, Everest & Haunted Mansion I think are good one's I've read.

Putting my concerns down in writing helps a bit ease my mind, but what would you do in this scenario? Is the table service dining a big no-no to pass up (if any are even available at this point)? I know this is going to be a fun trip regardless, but just looking for some tips/advice on my planning so far.
Book your Dining Reservations now. You don’t need tickets to book Dining and you can always Cancel up to a day in advance.

As soon as your tickets are linked, book your FPs from what’s available. You don’t need to wait until day of.

Read the FP FAQ Sticky and the FP FAQ ADDENDUM Sticky for more info on FPs.

And just glancing at dining, there’s still lots of options that week. So don’t worry. You may not get CRT, but you’ve got plenty of options.

Here's what I would do in this situation.

Dining: go to the website and filter restaurants by character dining. Choose one of those that appeals to your kids either for dinner on Sat (if getting there in time for dinner) or for breakfast on the morning you leave (again, if there's time). Breakfast is cheaper than dinner and it would be a fun way to end the trip, so I'd probably go that route, but having a character dinner on that first night is a great way to start the fun too. Of course, it also depends on what is available. Go make ADRs NOW (as in, RIGHT NOW)!! You can always cancel what you decide not to do.

A sit down in the middle of the day for a break is also a great idea. You could let this make your decision as to which park on Sun and Tues. Wherever you can get an ADR is where you go for the day. The Plaza at MK is a cheaper option. Food is decent and doesn't cost that much more than a QS meal. Liberty Tree Tavern at MK is also a good value. Via Napoli at EP would also be almost as cheap as a QS if you share their mezzo pizza (you can do half/half). It's usually pretty easy to get an ADR somewhere in EP just because there are so many restaurants. AK has fewer TS places. If there's nothing available and you want a midday break, you could go over to Animal Kingdom Resort and eat at Sanaa and check out the animals surrounding the resort.

If you decide not to do a sit down, I would prefer AK on Sunday and MK on Tuesday. Some people always BEGIN their vacation with MK; we prefer to END or vacation with MK.

Last July, I booked my trip with about 3 weeks notice. I was able to get everything I wanted (dining wise). I could never get a FP for Slinky Dog or Flight of Passage but I still rode anyway.

I suggest you STUDY all the threads for FastPass using same-day refresh. Also, if there is a must-do ride (for me it was Flight of Passage) figure out how to do it without a FP. For us, it was to go to AK at park closing. We did this a few times and had no more than a 40 minute experience from the tap styles to the exit.

Much of the dining I got was done at the last minute also (Chef Art's Homecomin at a reasonable hour was nabbed a few days before the trip) Just keep checking that app!

Thanks guys - there is great advice here. Will need to look at dining reservations asap. BTW - I just watched this fastpass video on youtube and thought it was extremely helpful:

I think I'll subscribe to the touring plans website now...also looking at the one's from easywdw and undercover tourist!

One other thing, is "Be our guest" pretty much the most popular dining experience to go for at the parks? If so, I want to try and grab that one for lunch or dinner.

Check out the dining part of this forum. I have read that its not as good as it has been in the past. I also personally wouldn't worry about it unless you have a diehard Beauty and the Beast fan.

If I had your schedule I would not do any table service (where you make a reservation) unless there was a specific character that my kids loved that could only be met at a character meal. I would instead pick from the multitude of quick service food options (the ones where you show up and order from a counter or through the app and pick it up at the counter).

This allows you to be ultimately flexible in the parks if you score those same day fast passes. You know your family though the best.

For food menus check out (it even has prices): http://allears.net/dining/menu/

One other thing, is "Be our guest" pretty much the most popular dining experience to go for at the parks? If so, I want to try and grab that one for lunch or dinner.
It is popular, but so are others. Don’t book something solely because it’s popular. Book it because it’s something you are sincerely interested in. I have eaten lunch and dinner at BOG, and it was OK, but nothing worth getting stressed out about for our family.

Oh and one other thing they do have places to sit down for Quick Service meals as well so you can still take your break during the day.

Also, you need to let the FOMO go. WDW is so big there is no way you can do everything in a trip that short. Make your FP for the three absolutely must see rides at each park, and then figure everything else is gravy. Sometimes you get second helpings of gravy and sometimes barely any gravy at all, but any gravy you get is good! :thumbsup2

On the "big" table service and quick service front. I agree to look for a character meal. @sharonabe's suggestion to filter by character dining is a good suggestion. One is enough, it will satisfy your fomo.

Some of the QS are quite good. My favorites are Tangierine Cafe in Morocco (Epcot) and Satuli Canteen in Pandora (AK).

Also, since you will be staying in Disney Springs, it will be fairly easy to go to dinner in Disney Springs proper. Lots of good restaurants there. Suggest you look at the menus and pick something that appeals to your crew. Should be easy to find last minute reservations in Disney Springs.

<snip> Also, since you will be staying in Disney Springs, it will be fairly easy to go to dinner in Disney Springs proper. Lots of good restaurants there. Suggest you look at the menus and pick something that appeals to your crew. Should be easy to find last minute reservations in Disney Springs.

Also, many of the restaurants in DS take reservations through Open Table as well as through MDE and in fact may show better availability there. Also, if you miss a reservation made through Open Table or need to cancel at the last minute, there's no $ penalty as with Disney.

Thanks for the DS suggestion, but we're trying to maximize time in the park. Taking a trip back and forth for dinner would likely burn over 2 hours in transportation.

Make sure you check out the menu for this one. Lunch is a QS, has okay food, and you still need an ADR to go. Dinner is a prix fix meal, so make sure they have something all of you will eat. Your oldest is considered an adult for dining and will pay the adult price for this meal and any buffet.

With such a short trip, I would probably just stick with quick service places to maximize ride time. Then you can just eat whenever you (or the kids) are hungry without worrying that a snack will spoil your appetite for a reserved dinner.

I was able to snag a lunch reservation at BOG for 2pm on Sunday, 7/21. Hopefully we can get the neat room with the rose. I guess that pretty much steers us to MK on Sunday.

I was able to snag a lunch reservation at BOG for 2pm on Sunday, 7/21. Hopefully we can get the neat room with the rose. I guess that pretty much steers us to MK on Sunday.
At lunchtime you choose your own seats in the restaurant, so you have some freedom--with the caveat that people are going to fill in all the coolest tables first. I've been to BOG twice for lunch and both times we ended up in the music box room because the West Wing (with the rose) was full and the main ballroom either full or close to it. Even if you don't get to eat in that room, though, you can still walk through and see it--in some ways it's better not to sit next to something cool like the rose because so many other people will traipse by your table for a look at it! As a general note, I believe they still offer pre-ordering at BOG. That will speed things up if you can get everyone in your party to go through the menu and commit to what they want ahead of time.

I think BOG lunch is a good move. I really liked it (thus snagging a last minute second ADR for it on the same trip when I first tried it), but I'm not convinced that the dinner is worth the money and time. As a lunchtime quick service meal I consider it one of the better QS options. When a big part of the draw is the dining rooms themselves, though, I have a hard time justifying the hefty upcharge dinner represents.

In regards to the much, much broader questions about the trip:

As someone who also experiences a lot of FOMO, I have both bad news and good news about WDW. The bad news is that even if you go dozens of times, the FOMO doesn't really go away because there is always something new and exciting you could be doing but can't realistically fit into your schedule. I worked in WDW for a total of 9 months (two College Program semesters) and there are still tons of things I haven't done: restaurants I haven't tried, tours I haven't been on, events I haven't attended. Add to that all the old favorites I want to do again each time I go and--well, it's just not possible to fit everything in. Nowhere near it. So the good news is that since it's never going to be perfect and you're never going to do it all, that is the default state of WDW vacations. You're not doing it "wrong" by "missing out" on dining reservations or not seeing all the parks or riding all the attractions. You just have to choose your priorities and your focus for the trip and commit to it, enjoy it, and assume that you will be back eventually to do more, even if it's years down the road. That's as true for people who go on a regular basis as it is for people going for the first time since childhood.

A basic itinerary for your time in each park might be helpful to you, but I personally do not like the Touring Plans style of mapping it out attraction by attraction, minute by minute. It may give you a plan to follow and keep out of lines, but to me it sounds more like a forced march than a vacation--and something I think a lot of people miss in the discussion of how to get on bunches of rides with the least wait possible is that the attractions themselves aren't the sole source of joy. My favorite memories of early trips are from exploring and discovering parts of the parks that were new to us and seeing what there was to see. There's a balance to strike, of course; if you go in with no plan except to wander you will end up in long lines--but I'm very much against the idea of optimizing a trip from start to finish. Choose your FastPasses (book them as soon as you have tickets), choose a popular attraction or two to hit right at rope drop, but beyond that basic skeleton of structure, try to let things unfold organically. You won't do everything, but I think it's better to miss some things and have a great time with the things you chose to prioritize than to do everything but be overwhelmed and grumpy because you never allowed yourselves time to be spontaneous.

I think keeping it to one park per day is a good idea. With only three days and this trip being a bunch of firsts, simple is better. That's why I also would not worry too much about booking table service dining (BOG lunch does not count as table service in my mind even though it requires an ADR). If there's a restaurant your family is really excited about, by all means book it (and maybe use it as your opportunity to get off your feet mid-afternoon). Know, though, that there are tons of quick service options in all the parks. In Animal Kingdom in particular, I actually decided not to book any ADRs for that park on my own upcoming trip because I'm more excited about the quick service foods anyway (if you have even mildly adventurous eaters, check out the Harambe Market!). Epcot is known for its wide array of table service options, but it's got just as wide an array of quick service as well. Quick service does not mean burgers and chicken tenders unless that's what you decide to seek out; there's actually great variety to be found.

Wow YD - very informative and insightful! Thank you for taking the time to write that - I agree with you on all points. I know I should have taken this advice on past family vacations as well :-). The problem, I think, people like you and I have is trying maximizing the investment of time and money -whereas, the focus should be on maximizing family enjoyment. If we're basically at these parks from rope drop to closing, there's plenty of time to cover the main attractions early and late and use FP's in the middle with a good bit of meandering. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter