• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going in 2 weeks...any last minute tips?

commecicommeca

Earning My Ears
I'm leaving for WDW with mum in tow in exactly 2 weeks from Saturday. I'm flying with American Airlines. I'm staying at the Sheraton World on Idrive, taking a manual wheelchair & crutches from home to use around Idrive and Downtown Disney, and renting an ECV at each of the parks. I have CP but can walk w/ crutches just not more than 1-2 blocks, and go up and down a few steps with help. We're doing half day at Downtown Disney and Cirque, then one day at AK, one day at MGM w/ PS at 50's prime time for lunch, one day at Epcot w/ PS at Biergarten for lunch and Rose & Crown (fireworks!!!) for dinner, and the rest just meeting up with friends and chilling at the resort.

Does anyone have any specific tips for me concerning transferring/staying in ECV for rides (not a big deal to transfer), leaving the ECV in restaurants, getting the wheelchair checked in at the airport, and anything else?

That part of the FAQ isn't finished yet, but feel free to look at what we have so far. I will look for the ECV-posts and put in a link in a bit.
Lots of good stuff here - you might start by scrolling down a few pages and looking at the ECV posts from the last few weeks. Good info there!

teri.GIF
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

My first tip is to put lots of sunblock on your thighs. They will be exposed to the sun a lot while you are in the wheelchair or ecv and the sun in Florida seems to burn faster than sun at home.

We always gate check my dd's wheelchair. Ask for a gate check when you first check in at the airport. They may give you one there or tell you to get one at the gate. When you get to the gate, remind the gate agent that you want to preboard. Sometimes they will not call for preboarding unless you ask. You can stay in the wheelchair until you actually get on the plane. I'm usually the wheelchair caretaker; I fold the wheelchair, fasten the seatbelt, etc. Sometimes we remove the footrests, seat and back, sometimes not. @

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter