Going from balconies to an ocean view?

For me, it depends on the itinerary. I'm perfectly fine in the Caribbean with an ocean view, but I will never, ever again do Alaska without a veranda.

On our first cruise we had booked an inside room (Wonder). 2 weeks before sailing we got a call informing us we have been upgraded to a stateroom with veranda to balance the ship or some nonsense. Very tricky. We have always booked a veranda/balcony on every cruise since.
They got me! Not only for DCL but now RCCL too!

I think it also depends on the ship. My first window cabin was on Majesty of the Seas and the room was so small! Next cruise was an interior and the cabin was much bigger. So I'd say it depends on the ship, not just the cabin type. We've done balconies the past two cruises and our next one is also booked in a balcony, but I would do an interior or ocean view if the price and ship made that make more sense to the budget.

We have been on several cruises in the past, and have always chosen balconies on upper floors. We loved our balcony rooms, however, we are considering a last minute cruise that is significantly less if you sail in an oceanview on deck 2. Would you expect that we would be super disappointed in sailing in an oceanview (specifically on a lower deck) if our past experience was only with balcony staterooms? We have two elementary aged kids if that makes any difference in your opinions. :) Thanks!

DH and I alternate between inside (2), ocean view (2) and balcony (3) ... When we decide to stay "inside" or "ocean view", we always pay more attention to the ship before we sail to try to find the best/most quiet spots on the ship and we'll make an effort to spend a little more time there, and/or eat outside at the buffet, to compensate.

We went from verandah to inside directly (the first time we switched) and we were shocked at how well we took the change. We definitely spend less time in the cabin when it's inside. We only go to take a shower and sleep. Now, when we book a short cruise (2 or 3 nights), we don't even bother booking anything else than an inside cabin.

P.s.: I'm a bit obsessed with panoramic view cabins. I'll have to try that at some point.

Last edited:
Our first cruise was on Deck 2 - Navigator of the Seas - Norwegian Fjords. It was fine but that was the first adult one so had nothing to compare to. I think if i would if the price was substantially different and it was not an area of natural beauty - eg if i was doing iceland, norway or alaska i wouldn't do ocean view. But if it was a caribbean or a cruise to western med i might.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter