Going every Sunday all year - planning strategies for AP?

TX2FL

Earning My Ears
I've only been to WDW once 4 years ago. We are moving to Orlando in December and will be purchasing Gold AP for our family of 5 with 3 kids (6,3,3). We'd like to plan on going 40 times during the year - always Sundays (we have very limited weekday availability next year unfortunately). We'd like to cover all of the 4 parks during this time. Any good blogs or schedules or itineraries for doing something like this? I'm overwhelmed just trying to plan it all out!

40 days? APs?

You have a ton of time to explore and figure it all out, no real strategy needed from my perspective.

I’d read up on FastPass+, the FP FAQ sticky at the top of this board is a good start.

Otherwise have fun and enjoy.

And :welcome: to the DIS!

Yep, if you're truly going to have 40 days in the parks, you don't need any strategy. Just understand how FP+ works, learn how to use it and then just go enjoy.

We have done APs twice...from summer 2015-summer 2016 and then from summer 2017-summer 2018. Each time, we got a total of 50 park days in. They were grouped into big chunks, not done every Sunday like you're planning. However, my point is that we NEVER planned much of anything. It's not our style to plan even if we didn't have APs, but going that often made it even less necessary.

i do day trips all the time, apart from making FPs in advance (usually the night before) and maybe an ADR (I’m not much of a counter service person) you don’t need a plan. You’re going to see everything over the course of a year. It’s no pressure. Arrive at a park that’s too crowded? Just go to another. Not really feeling it today? Skip it. Only want to go for cupcakes? You can.

Make sure to budget money for your weekly Disney outing.
If you plan on having a meal be it quick service or sit down, plan your money
Also talk to the kids about "souvenirs" they might want something each time you go, now if money isn't an issue, go crazy and have fun
I've been an ap holder for the past 19 years and visit the parks multiple times a week, each week, the food is my worst problem :)

This is going to be your first post?!?! I think you just joined the DIS to brag. HAHAHA How exciting and cool that you will be able to go so often! Like others have said, learn how to make and modify your FP+ and you will be more prepared than 75% of park goers.

Since you will be going often, I think it'd be cool to make a Disney calendar with the kids and talk about things you'd like to do. For instance, this Sunday, we are going to spend the entire day in Tomorrowland. Next Sunday, we will just do the animal trails at Animal Kingdom. The following Sunday, we will only meet characters in Hollywood Studios. And of course you can always adjust your plans as you go, but it will keep the parks fresh to your family and you'll be able to experience some little details that many of us only dream we had the time to do.

I'm overwhelmed just trying to plan it all out!
I think having 40 days in the parks should make your planning a little easier -- There are 4 parks so you can hit each park once a month. You might also want to be aware of any special events going on that you want to go to. Also try to have a little flexibility so that you can work in another day if the weather is bad.

If you are right in Orlando and a quick drive from the parks I would consider just an evening in the parks - say hitting flower and garden for a concert or just snacking around the food booths. You don't have to go for a full day, that is the beauty of the AP and living close -- you can go whenever you want for as little time as you want. I would avoid putting the pressure on going "every sunday" and just plan a few weeks in advance, maybe at least a month ahead so you can try to snag FP.

I say take a step back from feeling the need to plan it all out - take it day by day and you will probably enjoy the relaxed visits to the park vs trying to cram everything in to a one week trip.

There are vloggers - wdwcouple and tim tracker who are in the parks frequently who typically highlight new offerings/events/food items. Watching these videos might give you ideas on what you might want to see on your next visit to the parks.

I envy all of u in this thread. Lol. I hope one day to be able to say we r living close enough to go weekly! My dad’s buddy moved down years ago when he retired. Him and his wife. He goes to magic kingdom almost every morning for coffee and a stroll. How cool is that.

Man 40 days. U guys should be able to really take it in and just enjoy!

I concur with the others. There is no need to panic. With 40 days of touring, you really don't need to over plan anything. If you broke that up evenly, that's 10 days in each park. More than enough time to see and do absolutely everything. Honestly, for the first month, I think I would just pick a park, pick some FP+, pick a place to eat, go in and get the lay of the land. By month 2 and 3, you'll probably have a better idea of which things you really like to do and which things you'd like to try. As the seasons change, so will offerings. You can then plan around special events - F&G and F&W at EP for example. I wouldn't try to plan all 40 days right now. Plan your first month and go from there.

I'm not in your situation, but if I were, some of the possibilities:
1. On their birthday week, each family member could choose the day's park and FP+s for everyone.
2. Alternate parks weekly as kniquy suggested.
3. Pick one section of each park for the day and see as much as you can.
4. Buy a Hidden Mickey book and incorporate that into each trip.
5. Participate in all of the "scavenger" hunts. (The festivals at EC and I believe there is one at AK right now)
6. Sign everyone up for Sorcerers of the Kingdom at MK. Do a new adventure each trip. You get new cards to add to your collection each time too!
7. Pick one show to watch each trip. (I could imagine too many in one day could be challenging with the 3yr olds)
8. See how many character autographs each kiddo can get.

About as far as my planning would go, I would most likely only be concerned about what park I was going to go to each week. I would just plan the parks a month out and sign up for the FP+s as they rolled out 30 days prior to my visit. Like another had suggested, I would just keep an eye on whats going on at ALL of the parks such as I would avoid MK on a party day as it would limit my time to be in the park or a race weekend at EC as I hear they are rather busy.

Don't stress over it, after a month or two, you'll see that it will be no problem.

Like another had suggested, I would just keep an eye on whats going on at ALL of the parks such as I would avoid MK on a party day as it would limit my time to be in the park or a race weekend at EC as I hear they are rather busy.

Everybody thinks differently on this point, but my advice would be the exact opposite with regards to party days. I would definitely hit MK during the party day. The crowds are much lower early on those days, and you can get out of the park at a decent time to make sure you aren't too exhausted for Monday. Since you are going so many times, having a shorter day on party days shouldn't matter.

I'd go to each park the first month and just get a "lay of the land" then decide how you'd like to break the park down. I can't remember the game in Adventure land w/ the pirate's treasure map, but my kids really enjoyed that. Dance w/ the bears in Frontier land, my kids would spend hours on Tom Saywer Island if we have the time to spend

Exciting! We just got our first APs this year.

1. I would start to read some blogs to get a feel for things you want to do. Food blog for restaurants you want to hit, Festivals (food and wine, etc), and any special holiday decor times.

2. Are there any special occasions you want to celebrate there?

3. I like the suggestion above of trying to hit each park once in a month. 1 park per day is a great way to pace yourself.

4. Learn how to get fast passes. We set up our 3 for the mornings and then we let the afternoon kinda flow based on our mood.

5. Keep a bag packed! Its been nice that I keep a disney bag ready to go at home now. It has some small first aide stuff, snacks, etc. I replenish as needed but we are ready to go! I also have a bag of rain gear we can take along if a fear of rain is forecasted. Rainy days make some of the best days at Disney!

There is no need to feel overwhelmed. Pick a park you want to visit on a particular day and grab some fast passes. No need to check a parade schedule or worry about any special events. You will go so often that it won't matter.

:welcome: to DISboards!

And an early welcome to Orlando!

DW and I are Disney snowbirds. We have settled into what we call our "winter walks enhanced by Disney". We visit a couple of times a week, rotating through the parks, usually Epcot, AK, and MK. Occasionally DHS. I'll search out some FPs, usually at the last minute, to save time standing in lines. If we are feeling a desire to visit a particular attraction I'll sometimes make a 30 day FP reservation. Sometimes we will stop at a QS for lunch.

I second the suggestion to read the FP FAQ here on DISboard. In addition to bingeing on DISboards there are a lot of Disney sites out there to explore. I'll suggest catching up with Josh over at easywdw. I think he does a pretty good job at highlighting what is happening in the parks.

But overall I would just say pick a park for your first visit, make some FPs, and start exploring. Wander around. Learn the "lay of the land". No need to rush, you'll be back in a few days. Pretty soon you'll be Disney experts.
Wishing you a pixiedust: move!

I envy all of u in this thread. Lol. I hope one day to be able to say we r living close enough to go weekly! My dad’s buddy moved down years ago when he retired. Him and his wife. He goes to magic kingdom almost every morning for coffee and a stroll. How cool is that.

Man 40 days. U guys should be able to really take it in and just enjoy!
That sounds so awesome to be able to go there every morning to have coffee!

People going to WDW multiple times a week? Ooh I am in over my head here haha. I truly cannot imagine that reality.

Getting coffee every morning sounds adorable but all I picture is driving over, waiting to park, waiting for the tram, going through security, transportation over to MK, waiting at the turnstiles THEN getting coffee and thinking was that really worth the effort? :rotfl:

You have gotten a lot of good suggestions! My addition is...

Suggest starting a pressed penny collection...instead of ‘souveniers’ the kids can each get one each trip...at $1.53 it will be the most economical but fun time you have!!

Can even make a nice family Christmas gift...

People going to WDW multiple times a week? Ooh I am in over my head here haha. I truly cannot imagine that reality.

Getting coffee every morning sounds adorable but all I picture is driving over, waiting to park, waiting for the tram, going through security, transportation over to MK, waiting at the turnstiles THEN getting coffee and thinking was that really worth the effort? :rotfl:

You know what. I never thought about that. I'll have to bust him about that one when I see him again. Lol

Hey I guess when u r retired and don't golf you got a lot of time n ur hands in Florida.

You know what. I never thought about that. I'll have to bust him about that one when I see him again. Lol

Hey I guess when u r retired and don't golf you got a lot of time n ur hands in Florida.

Gotta get your exercise somewhere...walk from the parking lot...walk the park..seems more scenic than walking the mall which is what they have to do in the frozen tundra where I live!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter