Going During October School Holiday?

chekhovgirl

DIS Veteran
I'm planning to tag along on a business trip with my husband to Paris and decided to look into going to Disneyland while there. The prices on the calendar jumped from $60 to $90 the week we were going to be there, so I looked up what might prompt that and found out it is school vacation week for all of France! Of course. Should we avoid it altogether? Probably my only chance to go for a very long time...I know nothing about this park. Thanks!

If you were looking at WDW the first couple of weeks of October, I would say avoid it. We used to go then bcs our kids' school was out, but now many more schools are out for Fall Break the first couple of weeks of October, and it has become one of the more busy times. But for a chance in Paris, especially if this would be your only chance, I would go for it!

Just go and have a plan, you will be alright and you can enjoy the Halloween show(s) and parade.
Will you be staying onsite or in the city?

The city, because they'll be at a conference there. I've done literally no research yet about how to get there, but I did see someone say there is a train station nearby? Any suggestions for sites to do research/planning? Thanks!

We have a few FAQ threads here. Also, read some trip reports.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/faq-1st-time-visitors-crowds-weather-language-wifi-money.3736354/
The train station is right outside the park entrance, next to security. You can use Google Maps to see which subway to take.

Go to the DLP website, download the app, familiarize yourself with the rides, look at what will be your must-do and what to skip. Decide if you want to visit both parks or only one.

Buy your ticket online and bring the print with you.

Think about getting the paid fast pass option (can be expensive, but if it is a once in a lifetime trip).

Get a good breakfast, be there before park opening. Do your most important rides first in the morning, make use of FP (paid or free option), use single rider lines, counter service lunch and dinner.

Haven't been there since...somewhere in the mid to late '90's and it was newly opened. At the time it was a nice day trip via RER (commuter train line) and had no hotels yet; I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I'll know better next week when I'm back there again with DGD, the ex's sister (I divorced him but not her, LOL) and her kids, grands and great grands. Should I finish figuring out how to economically configure my cellphone to use overseas (used to have a cell number just for overseas but dropped the line when I retired) I'll post my impressions and ask questions about crowd levels IRT.

Should I finish figuring out how to economically configure my cellphone to use overseas (used to have a cell number just for overseas but dropped the line when I retired)

Depends, is it necessary for you to reach others, or only to be reached?

Depends, is it necessary for you to reach others, or only to be reached?
OK. Big Sister recommends WhatsApp (she's been nagging me for years to upload it ;);nothing but love). She says I can do their version of FaceTime; up and download files and communicate with people throughout the world via written methods both ways. Would your method be similar?

I know I want to be able to speak to people in the states and Central Europe/UK as well as check in with people I'm traveling with who have US cell phones.

Back in another day I'd just dedicate a phone to world travel using interchangeable SIM cards. Wasn't the best for sending certain files but got the job done at a better cost then paying for service via American cell companies.

OK. Big Sister recommends WhatsApp (she's been nagging me for years to upload it ;);nothing but love). She says I can do their version of FaceTime; up and download files and communicate with people throughout the world via written methods both ways. Would your method be similar?

I know I want to be able to speak to people in the states and Central Europe/UK as well as check in with people I'm traveling with who have US cell phones.

Back in another day I'd just dedicate a phone to world travel using interchangeable SIM cards. Wasn't the best for sending certain files but got the job done at a better cost then paying for service via American cell companies.
I didn't have a method in mind, my question was more to determine what you were after. :) If you only needed to be reached, then definitely no need to switch your phone. But if you have to call to different continents, then it would be worth looking into what the best / cheapest options are. I've never done it as it is included in my cellphone subscription when I travel abroad.

I would indeed recommend something like Whatsapp to use when you are there to send short messages or some pictures to different people as it's based on internet and when you have wifi, it's free.

Keep in mind the train ride from central Paris is about an hour on the Red line. Disney is the Chessy stop and is right outside of security. I stayed out at Disney and did 3 and DLP and 5 in Paris and took the train every day. Just plan accordingly if you are looking at rope drop. If you hire a car it was about 100 EU to get in and out of the city (I did one morning due to a time crunch and should have another night as I missed the bus to my hotel at 1am and it is a bugger to find a taxi out there at that time of the morning).

There is free Wi-Fi in limited areas (mostly in Walt Disney Studios Park, the hotels, and Main Street, U.S.A. at Disneyland Park, plus some scattered areas in the other lands).

Mobile is very cheap in France though, my data plan is 50 GB/mo and I pay less than $12 with tax. Depending how long you're staying, it might be worthwhile to subscribe to a no-commitment plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter