going crazy, do i really want to spend $$$$ on a deluxe resort? (long)

disneyberry

Dreaming of adventure
DVC Premium
(moderator, not sure if this is the right board, so please feel free to move if there's a better board)

don't know how this topic will go with people since so many posters here at DIS seem to absolutely love staying at the Deluxe Resorts...

anyway, i'm driving myself crazy (not to mention my bf) trying to plan another trip before my APs expire (Nov).

at the beginning of May i stayed onsite at CSR, and was worried it wouldn't live up to my expectations, but it was everything i'd hoped for! i even got a free upgrade to Water View!

now i'm really excited about Disney Resorts, and the idea of trying them all out sounds great, but i'm picky about little things (such as pedestal sinks are a no-no, so PO's are ruled out), and i'm incredibly budget-conscious!

i can afford to stay at the Deluxes, but the prices are ridiculous!! i can't believe Disney charges so much, and customers just pay... sometimes i think they're evil :eek: j/k

my bf doesn't see any point to the ridiculous pricing of the deluxe resorts. i was trying to justify it by trying to book a concierge room, 'cause if i'm going to pay so much anyway, i might as well go with the top service.
but, the other day i realized that 1 night at a concierge room is 2 roundtrip airfares to Orlando!

and if i stay 1 night less, i could make another trip to WDW potentially...
but, i would absolutely love to try all the different resorts... oh what a dreamer i am...

so i'm trying to be practical now and maybe go for just CBR (the only other moderate w/ counter sinks) for my next trip. but... :bounce: still going nuts about maybe adding on 1 or 2 nights at a deluxe at the end of the trip though...

what have other people gone through in considering budgeting and deluxes?

i'm just torn about the fact that 1 night at a deluxe is usually more than 1 roundtrip airfare to WDW and i could save that money and go on more weekend trips! *sigh* but i want to try all the resorts!
:p oh... i'm going nuts! :p :p :p

(sorry this is so long! i can be pretty silly and repeat myself as you can see... :o )

try the resort board for more responses. Remember this is the budget board and most people here are trying to get more DISNEY for their money. Now, with that being said, I don't think you're nuts at all. The resorts themselves are an attraction. And staying at as many as possible is not a ridiculous goal. If that's what's important to you. I personally think it's a neat idea.
Reading this budget board can help you with your plans for another trip before your AP's expire. Does staying at the conceige level mean you can not make the other trip to Disney? If the so then only the two of you can make that decision. If you can still do conceige and return to Disney, what's the problem? Just thinking about the price, makes you wince? Hey, it's Disney. About your bf, sometimes we have to ease men into an idea or either leave them out of the details and just go for it. Have you thought about just doing conceige for one day of your trip? Have you priced or thought about doing 2 or 3 different resort during your trip? Changing resorts isn't such a hassle when you get Disney to do it for you and have a nice length of stay. If you're only there for a few days (say 3 or 4) then you could do 3 days at one resort and the last day (as a special goodbye treat) at the conceige level of that resort or another resort. Check into it. It may save you some money or there may be some restrictions.

Feel free to try to make your Disney dreams come true. That's what's it all about. Go for it!!!!! Good luck and NO, you are not CRAZY!!!!!

I struggle with the same problem. I like staying in different resorts, but sometimes the prices for the deluxes just seems rediculous to pay. Even if I can afford it, it would be nice to have the money for something else.

I think splitting your stay is a good way to go. DH and I did that on our last trip. We don't have that much time to go though, so we're never really trying to decide if we should use the same amount of money on 2 trips or 1 since we can only get away once.

I don't think that there's one perfect solution. You just have to decide what you want most.

We're all crazy....about Disney!

I don't understand pedestal sinks. I could never have them at home because I have too much stuff! I mean, where you supposed to hide the tp? Can I say that here? :D

I've decided that with the discounts for this september, the deluxes are worth it, mostly because of location. The rack rates are so high though. Now I am just struggling with the concierge issue.

Have fun trying to decide!

If you are just looking to spend one or two nights at a deluxe, perhaps you'd consider renting DVC points from a member. Look at the points calculator (elsewhere on this web site) to see how many you would need for your nights and figure about $10/point. If the last nights of your trip fall between Sun-Thurs, it ought to be a great rate! Only Fri/Sat nights are rather points-expensive.

Anyway, DVC points can economically be used for studios, saving considerably over cash rental rates for a Disney deluxe hotel room. Try Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Old Key West or BoardWalk Villas, with Beach Club Villas opening next year. It's worth your while to look into this. There's a DVC Rent/Trade bulletin board here too. Check it out! :)

Maybe you could consider the Swan or Dolphin? Someone on the resort board can help you find a good rate if they are available. I think they were around $99 per night?? Have no idea how their sinks are though.
Sounds like you are young...my Dh and I have been married for 33 years, but still watch the budget. The sink wouldn't matter. Have a wonderful trip and fun planning.

The $99.00 rate at the Swan/Dolphin is the Teacher rate. You must be a teacher to qualify for that rate. The rate is only good through mid-December.

The regular rate for teachers, government employees and nurses is $129.00 for 2001. It seems to increase each year. There are more discounts available at the S/D than at the regular Disney Deluxes. S/D honors Disney Club and Annual Passes for discounts. Check Glo's FAQ page for more info on these two hotels.

The Dolphin has a marble vanity sink. The sink is a corner unit located outside the bathroom and it is a vanity sink, not a pedestal sink.

You're not concerend about the actual cost of the deluxe - you're concerned about its value. An admirable perspective. Find a deal on a deluxe, and you'll be happy. I daresay, you'll be happier paying $300/night for a room that regularily goes for $400/night, than you will be paying $250/night for a room that regularily goes for $250/night.

Just wanted to let you know that there are threads about this right now on the debate board and also on the community board. Lots of responses there!

Disneyberry,

I have stayed at:

Boardwalk Villas ($225 AP discount) one bedroom (GREAT VALUE)
Beach Club ($190 AP) (would not stay there again)
Yacht Club ($200 or so AP) (much better than the Beach Club -- you get a full balcony!)
Wilderness Lodge Villas ($335 Ap discount) one bedroom (HORRIBLE VALUE! looked into another room from the balcony -- no view -- lengthy checkin process -- just plain yuck! I can honestly say that this experience put me over the edge.)
Polynesian ($180 AAA rate) went in early December, felt isolated at this location, but good rate
Portofino Bay at Universal ($335 kids suite, non discount rate over Thanksgiving -- GREAT value because two separate rooms, fabulous accomodations.)
Portofino Bay at Universal (regular room, $200 with discount)

I spent so much for our last Disney vacation last January, I said "the heck with this" and bought a Marriott timeshare. We are by no means poor, but the price of the Disney resorts, even in off season, are just too high for what you get. (We always rented a van anyways because the Disney transportation system is so poor in our estimation, so that is counted as a fixed cost for us whether we stay on or off site.) My youngest is now 4 so we don't have to go back for a nap. We looked into the Disney Vacation Club, but figured that we want to visit Europe someday and Williamsburg VA and the Marriott was more flexible. The timeshare program also expires in 2040 or 2042. I can bequeath the Marriott to my kids. I'm sure that Disney will find new people to pay their exorbitant rates, but we have finally checked out.

I can say this now because I have fully experienced all the resorts and have been multiple times. If you have young children or haven't experienced it yet, you might come to a different conclusion. (However, I wished I had seriously thought about this after our first trip. The money that we would have saved!!!)

Katherine

Disneyberry you just said you really enjoyed your stay at CSR. How much more enjoyment do you think you could get paying hundreds of dollars more per night? Probably not a lot. If you are at WDW to enjoy all there is at the parks, DD, BW, etc it's really not necessary to spend a lot of time at the resort. Why tie yourself down? The moderates provide a great room, relaxing atmosphere, lovely pool and a place to grab a bite to eat if necessary at the resort (rather than in the parks or other restaurants).

As to fear of pedestal sinks....if you look in the high-end home decorating magazines those are what are "in" right now. (I know....crazy.) ;)

You might become a deluxe resort addict like me! Actually like me and my daughter! The main reason we go to WDW is stay at one of the GREAT deluxe resorts.
But I only go if I can get a substantial discount. I have only once paid full price, at Easter time for my family of 4.

If you stay at a Deluxe you will find that there are so many lovely details, including balconies, wonderful restaurants, boat transportation, beaches on lagoons,
beautiful landscaping, wonderful service, great food, room service, valet service, etc. etc.

Some of the moderates have some of these features too, like Dixie landings and Coronado, both are large elaborate resorts.

So, make your choice. But beware! Once you go Deluxe your budget will never be the same again!

disneyberry.....We have stayed at Poly, CR, CSR, CBR, FW Cabins, Golf Resort, SOG. The Poly has always had a special place in my heart because it was the first place I stayed, while I was in high school, and also it's where we went on our honeymoon. We can afford to stay wherever we please, but after our trip to CSR last month I can honestly tell you I would pick CSR over Poly any day. We went over to the Poly during our trip and there were mobs of people everywhere, the pool was just unbelievably packed and the one, (relatively), inexpensive place to eat there was just a messy, disgusting dump. And this was during slow season. Of course, transportation isn't an issue for us because we always have our own car. I think the ONLY thing the deluxes really have going for them are more transportation options. If I were waiting at the CSR bus stop I might think differently.

disneyberry you could try the DVC rent/trade board. You could rent points from a DVC member and stay at the BWV for a greatly reduced rate. Just a thought......

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all your input!!

i still haven't quite made up my mind yet, but i do think i will end up trying to keep the budget down (i.e. if i do try a deluxe, i'll book it for the last night or two, and do a moderate or maybe even offsite :eek: :p for the first part of my trip)

i have a feeling i wouldn't be that much happier staying at a deluxe versus a moderate resort, especially if the price is much more ($100+)...

i did really enjoy my stay at CSR... i don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that i happened to pick such a nice resort for my first on-site stay.
:rolleyes: :)

anyway, please do reply with any other comments/advice!

I didn`t have a problem at PO/FQ with the sinks. i put a carryon under the sink with diapers, tampons, shampoo, etc. I put my makeup, toothpaste and brushes on the shelf above the sink. It is a long and rather deep shelf. Hubby kept his wallet and keys up there. The extra TP was on the back of the toilet. PO/FQ is a lovely resort and if you stay away because of the sinks you are missing a great place and reasonable price too.

I don't remember when you said your trip is, but check Mousesavers, we just got the CR for $139 in July. We needed 2 extra nights and CSR was not offering a discount available for "everyone" on those 2 days and was going to be $149.We not only got the availability but at $10 cheaper. We will be splitting our stay with 4 nights at ASMU to be more on budget, and then we will be broke after the second half...but this is a once in a life time for us...if now is the time, do it. If it's just to get more out of your AP's, maybe go value and you'll still have a great trip and not have any $ burdens. Now that's a great souvee to come home with!:D

Don't flame me!!!

I just cannot under any circumstances justify spending that amount of $ for a deluxe resort. We end up leaving in the morning, not coming back until 10 or 11 at nite. How can I justify that cost? (I keep thinking of the motel 6 commercial where they turn the light out and you are supposed to tell what is different between that room and the expensive room!). If I were spending 3 days totally at the resort it might be a different story.

We are staying at the Swan next summer on a fantastic rate thanks to these boards, but I cannot and doubt I ever will be able to spend over $100 per nite for a motel room. It just isn't in my blood. Even when we stayed at the Renaissance World Golf Village last year we only paid $89 or so a night on a special-and that was a NICE place.

If my motel is nice, clean and friendly and not "worn out", I am a happy camper. Also-need extra pillows!!! Then I just lay there and think of the extra things I get to do with my extra money!

(And no-I'm not criticizing the ones that do stay-I just can't do it. I always tell dh-even if I win the lottery I will be at Target's clearance rack looking for stuff at 75% off).

Why dont you go to mousesavers.com and check out the great prices on deluxe resorts. Try 2 nights and you will love them. Id recomend the Yacht Club or Poly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter