Go for Xmas or in late March?

larzebub

Earning My Ears
Hey all!

A couple of months ago I posted asking whether I'd be crazy to go to DL during Christmas. Of course, I received mixed replies, but I appreciate all of them! I know the park will be beautiful all decked out for the holidays but then there are the horrendous crowds...

Well, I talked my DH into it (he has no desire to go to DL----ever!----much less during Christmas, just so you know how much he loves me! :love: ) but now I'm second-guessing myself. First of all, I know it'll be jam-packed, and secondly, since this will probably be our one and only trip together, I want to make the most of the experience and maybe (???) stay in a Disney hotel.

My son is on Spring Break March 16-25 so we could go during that time. After searching around here it seems like it might not be the peak "Spring Break" time so maybe the crowds wouldn't be too bad? They are having the 50th celebration through next year, right? I reeeeeeeally didn't want to miss out on all of that!

We purchased our plane tickets with Southwest so we can reschedule them, but I need to figure out what the heck I'm doing so I can book everything else! My son will be disappointed but I think he'd get over it, and I know my hubby would be happy. I just don't know which would be the better way to go.

Will I regret missing out on the park in her Christmas glory? Will I miss any important 50th events? Is it even worth staying in a resort hotel? I want an all-around wonderful experience, but am I expecting too much?

Help! :confused:

Again, I so appreciate this site and the willingness to help out! You all are terrific!

Are your December plans between Christmas and New Years? I love Disneyland during the holidays, but I would never ask my non-Disney loving DH to go at that time. The park frequently reaches capacity in the early afternoon.

Your spring break would not be as busy. Most schools in this area have the week before Easter or the week after Easter off (or both weeks). You might run into rainy weather during that time though. You will also have rehabs.

I adore Disney - I won't pass up opportunities to go to the parks - I would be happy in a throng of people on Main Street & never ride a ride! That said - my DH is not as enthusiastic as me..... not in the least. I will never ..... never....... never take my DH to Disney between 12/15 an 1/4. I highly reccommend March! :flower:

Actually, because of work & school scheduling, we were going to be there FOR Christmas. We were (are?) buying 3-day passes for Dec 25-27. So yeah, maximum capacity days.

I never considered rehabs. Is there any way to know in advance which attractions wouldn't be operating?

Gah. This is such a difficult decision!

Hate to be the bearer of this news but if you are talking this Christmas, you may be hard pressed to find accommodations this late in the game.

:wizard: Pixie Dust!

janet

This far out from March - it may be hard to see what's going to be under refurb.... but there are sites that have the info... I think Mouseplanet has it.....
That said - so much was re-furbed in time for the 50th - you may not have to worry too much, and most of the refurbs wil take place in Jan/Feb - when you want to go in March would be getting close to all of the Spring Breakers!
I do believe the Monorail is going to be on an extended refurb here pretty soon........
On site accomodations - you may get a cancelation, but they will be FULL for X-mas. If you are serious - start calling every reasonably close hotel NOW. When you say peak - I hope you understand that those are days that you will be experiencing the HIGHEST number of people at the parks pretty much all year. Like I said - I wouldn't have a problem with it - but if your DH isn't so into Disney - this will REALLY make him never want to go back!

Thanks for the additional info, ladies.

We do have a hotel booked already because we're members of Choice Hotels. I think it's on Katella?

Anyway, the only thing left to book is the park tickets. I'm just still not sure.

So they will still have the 50th celebration stuff going on next year? That's the main thing I don't want to miss out on!

I figured that the March dates would be getting close to the Spring Break crowds, but from what I gather (and please correct me if I'm wrong!) it's not as bad as at Christmas, and it's not during Southern California's Spring Break, so...?

Ack! Decisons, decisions!

I agree with AFMom
I have the same type of hubby as you. If you want everyone to have a good time, and eventually want to return to disneyland. Don't take hubby on his first trip during the busiest season.
I am going this december without him, with one of my ds's (3) while the 2 year old is staying home. (I am going with my dad, sis and niece also). I plan to go back in a couple years when the boys are 5 and 6 or so.... To help my hubby have a good time... and if he is miserable I would be too ! ;). I will only go in off season, not around any holidays.... probably May or October. Nice weather, but low crowds.
I don't have to worry about what days we take off like most people though, because I plan to homeschool. Depending on your son's age I might just pull him for part of a week and stay a weekend in off season. Plan DCA for the weekend days... shouldn't be too buzy... and do a thurs-sunday stay.. so he is only missing two "real" days. Another option is look at your school calender for teacher in service days etc. and take off an extra one around that.
Just some thoughts, I know I would not be dragging my crowd hating hubby to Disney at peak seasons!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter