Gluten or Dairy Free - do you know about Carrageenan?

Dancind

Tinkerbell's Mom
It's a pretty common additive, and in Europe they don't allow it in infant formula. In the US it's OK. I just became aware that it can be a problem yesterday.

It keeps things creamy so your yogurt, milk products etc won't separate in the fridge. It's allowed in organic food. It is also used to de-ice airplanes.

I try very hard to stick to an anti-inflammatory diet since i have autoimmune conditions and am a BC survivor. We recently bought a small espresso maker and I've been having a coconut milk latte almost every day for the last week. Thought I was having a nice safe treat, but my stomach has been upset all week.

Turns out carrageenan is an inflammatory, and particularly so for people that have gluten issues or IBS. Not a good thing at all.

So if your infant/child (or you) is lactose intolerant and doesn't do well on soy, almond, coconut milk, check for this ingredient. Actually, no one should be drinking soy milk but that's a whole other issue.

Hope this helps someone. There are versions of these products that don't contain the stuff, but you have to read labels! Or search the internet.

Soy milk is eostrogenic, no one needs extra estrogen. Sorry if that offended you.

It was meant as a heads up.

It's a pretty common additive, and in Europe they don't allow it in infant formula. In the US it's OK. I just became aware that it can be a problem yesterday.

It keeps things creamy so your yogurt, milk products etc won't separate in the fridge. It's allowed in organic food. It is also used to de-ice airplanes.

I try very hard to stick to an anti-inflammatory diet since i have autoimmune conditions and am a BC survivor. We recently bought a small espresso maker and I've been having a coconut milk latte almost every day for the last week. Thought I was having a nice safe treat, but my stomach has been upset all week.

Turns out carrageenan is an inflammatory, and particularly so for people that have gluten issues or IBS. Not a good thing at all.

So if your infant/child (or you) is lactose intolerant and doesn't do well on soy, almond, coconut milk, check for this ingredient. Actually, no one should be drinking soy milk but that's a whole other issue.

Hope this helps someone. There are versions of these products that don't contain the stuff, but you have to read labels! Or search the internet.

What does this have to do with planning a trip to Disneyworld?

This is the disABILITIES Community Board, but I'm not quite sure what the point of the post is other than to say it exists.

Dancind said:
Soy milk is eostrogenic, no one needs extra estrogen. Sorry if that offended you.

It was meant as a heads up.

Actually, of the two estrogens (good and bad) it shuts down the bad estrogen temporarily

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!