Glacier Bay

abmdis

Earning My Ears
We are looking at an Alaskan cruise for summer 2020. I had friends who told me I have to do glacier bay. Does royal Caribbean go to glacier bay? If not is it really a must do?

They do not go into Glacier Bay.
It is spectacular, but as far I know just Holland and Princess go into it. At least when I did them they did

I think Royal goes into Glacier Bay with her Radiance class ships. Ovation would be too big.
Denise

The cruise we are looking at is talk about Alaska inside passage on day 3. It says you will see giant calving glaciers in Glacier Bay National Park. Does it maybe not go as far in as other cruised?

I have been researching Alaska cruises. RCCL used to go to Glacier Bay in the Radiance class ships (I was reading some trip reports from a while ago so know this was true) but currently they aren't permitted there. As far as I can tell only Princess and HAL can do Glacier Bay. Does anyone have any different information?
Denise

Glacier Bay is a National Park, and access is limited and controlled. We sailed on HAL over the summer specifically to visit Glacier Bay and it was incredible.
A park ranger boarded our ship to talk about the glaciers, and a native Alaskan went to the kids club to talk about life in Alaska, and to show them one of her fishing tools. I went to get my 12 year old son during the talk (I didn't know it was happening) and he wouldn't leave because it was so interesting.

Before we sailed I was on the fence about whether Glacier Bay was a must-do. Now I agree, it is a must-do, at least once. If this is your one and only Alaska trip, go to Glacier Bay.

The photos I took look like paintings. I did not do anything fancy to take these photos. Some were taken with my camera, some were taken with my phone. It was breathtaking.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The below photos show the size of Margery Glacier compared to a cruise ship. Our ship went where that Princess ship is in the photo. The captain did a 360, and then hung out for a while. It was amazing. There were tons of icebergs, and we had some good wildlife sightings.

enhance

enhance

I have to agree - I've done Alaska three times and Glacier Bay is my absolute favorite site to visit (with Sitka a close second). When we go in the future (because can we all just agree that no matter how many times you say it's the one and only trip to Alaska, after you've been, you have to go back), Glacier Bay will be a deciding factor in when and who we cruise with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!