GKTW Online Fundraiser: A Walk Around the Worlds for Give Kids the World

TallMumHP

DVC Member since 1997
A Half-Marathon Walking Around World Showcase on Presidents Day

I have created a fund-raiser for Give Kids the World. It is kind of unique in that I came up with the idea and created the event. Let me explain.

First, the beneficiary: Give Kids the World – a 70-acre, non-profit “storybook” resort, located near Disney World, where children with life-threatening illnesses and their families are treated to weeklong, cost-free fantasy vacations. I love the idea and know from first-hand experience what a little bit of magic can do to boost the optimism and well-being of a critically sick person and their families. And, they serve ice cream for breakfast!

Second, the challenge: So what am I doing? This February, Presidents Day, my partner and I are going to walk around the Epcot World Showcase at Walt Disney World, 10 times! That is more than a half-marathon! Our event is called “A Walk around the Worlds for Give Kids the World.” Cool huh?

Third, what you can do: Go to my first-giving, web page (http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/WARW4GKTW/2012) to check out the video that will give you more information about Give Kids the World, and if you feel like it, sponsor us.

If your in the park come look for us. Hmm! Not sure exactly how you will identify us. Perhaps this helps, I am 6'2" and wll probably be wearing a white baseball cap. Darn! Should have bought a Give Kids the World T-Shirt!

Only 18 Days till we walk! Have been going for three mile walks each morning up here in Boston to get ready. Brrr! It has been anywhere from 5 to 15 degrees the past few days. Looking forward to warmer weather. On weekends, we double up the walk to get more miles in.

Look for us on Presidents Day at World Shocase, EPCOT. We will start at 11:00 and I estimate we will be walking until about 3:30 - 4:00 PM.

Just one week away from this great fundraiser for GKTW! Let's all support Helen and Maria!

We will begin our walk as soon as we finish our pastries in Les Halle's . .. Long French name patisserie. I think we will have raised our goal of $1000 after matching gifts come in. Will provide an update later today. I think it will take us at least 3 hours, maybe 4. It is about a half marathon.

Heard the Voices of Liberty doing their President's day special performance.

Coming up on 9. Running out of juice. Borne my cell phone. Stopped for a photo with Duffy just for the gang at the DIS.

So here is the scoop, we walked about 13 miles for GKTW, and got to combine two things we love (Disney and walking) for a great cause.

Thank you Linda for sponsoring us while we walked around World Showcase.

We had fun. We walked, we shopped, we people watched and had fun discussing favorite restaurants, attractions we want returned to WDW and other topics to fill the time.

If anyone still want to sponsor us, go to our First Giving page http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/WARW4GKTW/2012.

Thank You.

My pleasure! I think this was a really creative and fun way to raise money for GKTW and enjoy the park at the same time! Excellent idea!!!!
Congrats on getting all the way through. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!