giving back the first year's points

Kaelyn

Mouseketeer
How many points can you sell back when you initially purchase? How much does that reduce the price? Can you do that in a resale?

Kaelyn,
If you are purchasing from disney you can sell back all of your first years points for $5 each at VWL. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, I think it's $10 at VB and HH. You cannot sell your first years points if you purchase a resale. We just bought last month at VWL and decided to keep our points because we felt that $5 per point was not worth giving them up. We banked our first years points, and are using them and our 170 points that we will receive in Febuary to do the 4 day cruise and 3 nights at VWL.

I think the current off is to sell back 1/2 of your first years points at $5 a point if you buy at VWL, $10 a point if you buy HH or VB. You can only use this program is you buy directly from Disney, not a resale.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but you definitely CAN sell your first year's points on a resale. You just can't sell them back to Disney, and you can't sell them until AFTER your closing. Buying from Disney you can sell them BEFORE closing, and apply the proceeds to your purchase.

But there's an active market for these points, and apparently on eBay there's a stupidly active market for them. You can surely get more than the $5 per point that Disney is offering. $10 used to be the going rate, but I don't follow this that closely.

The thing to watch out for with resales is that there may not be any points to sell. The seller may have already used them, and even borrowed from the next year. You would then price your offer accordingly.

DVC will allow a credit of up to $2000 for the Magical Beginings program.

AT HH and VB (@$10) that means 200 points....or you could sell all 400 of your VWL points @$5.

Enjoy!

My question we were told that you could only sela back points if you brought during the presentation.So if you decided not to buy at that time then changed mind later you couldn't sale points then.Has anyone else been told that?Would really like to know?We were intrested but wanted to think about it.

Leslie

I appreciate this guys. It is my lifelong goal to belong to DVC. (I am only 25, single, and have almost $30000 in student loans yet to pay. I am planning way ahead here.)

Doc - I am afraid that you are speaking another language. What is Magical Beginnings? Credit of $2000? Is that for your points?

My other issue is that I am a CM. If any of you have been reading the threads on other boards, we CM's have been fighting with everyone else over revealing our perks, but I will confess here that I would receive a discount if I purchase from Disney directly. Unfortunately, I want the BWV. I have a few ??'s, then.

What if I bought a 100 point resale at the BWV and then added on directly through Disney? Add on points are currently $75 as well, right? I wouldn't get a discount on the initial purchase but I would on the added points and on the yearly dues and stuff. Am I making this too complicated? I am nearly incapable of conceptualizing amount, so I am having a hard time knowing where to put the budgeted numbers.

I would definitely "settle" for the Beach Club, and I heard that they will be next. True?

I haven't been told that it was a "presentation: only offer. As a matter of fact, I did not purchase until almost a year later. We had no problem using the Magical Beginnings program. In addition, we also used MB on our recent add on purchase at HH. (Sold back almost all my 1st year points for $10 each)

The only thing I know that is only offered at the presentation is a lower interest rate for your financing of a DVC purchase.

Thanks for the information Robin we were there 2 weeks ago and they told me that the offer was only good until we left.That after that we couldn't sale back points.Nothing about intrest rate.We want to buy but won't have down payment until middle sept.Just paid sons tution.So maybe I can call them when we are ready and see what happens.

Leslie

Kaelynn, You can not do an add on at BW so it would have to be with VWL or BCV. 100 point contracts are difficult to find and not always cost effective- closing costs are high relative to number of points you buy. It sounds like you may be better off waiting for BVC and buying with your discount and you'd have no closing costs. Best thing is to enquire directly to find out how they would handle your dues discount with a resale.

Kaelyn, you work in a Disney Store not at WDW and you get a discount? My mom works at a store here and I asked her if she would get a discount to purchase at DVC and she told me she didn't think so.

I was told last Sept by a DVC rep that my normal discount would apply, and that will be increasing in 14 months. Make sure you tell your mom!

I am thinking that it would probably be advantageous for me to go through Disney because of my CM status. I'll just take whatever they are offering at the time. i have a few more question though, of course...

How long does it typically take for Disney to sell out a resort?

It doesn't tkae more points to stay off your home resort, there is just a booking/time restraint, right?

If you add points in for a different resort, how does that effect your booking restrictions? And do you actaully have two different deeds?

Thanks guys!

Well that is great. I am assuming you will be there for 3 years in the 14 month timeframe.

I have not even purchased yet (I plan on purchasing at BCV), But I think I can answer most of your questions and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

VWL is estimated to be sold out be the end of this year or sooner. There is some pretty good rumors that BCV will pre-sell (meaning that they won't even be open yet). My guide told me he suspects it would be before March 2002 for the pre-sell.

If you book at your home resort you can book 11 months in advance, if you book at a sister (another DVC) resort you can book up to 7 months in advance. Each DVC resort has its own point chart, it does not matter if it is your home resort or a sister resort. But I beleive each new resort has been a few points more than the previous resort in general per night. (Someone please verify this). Meaning that OKW is the least amount of points per night in general, then BWV, then VWL.

As far as an add on goes. Say you buy 100 points at VWL and then 100 at BCV. You could book up to 100 points worth of night 11 months in advance at VWL and then 100 points worth of nights 11 months in advance at BCV. If you wanted to use all 200 points to stay at one place, you could book 100 pts each at the 11 month at both resorts (lets just say 6 nights at VWL and then 6 nights afterwards at BCV) then at the 7 month time frame you could try and switch to the first resort for the last 6 nights.

I hope all this helps and I am sure if I am incorrect on anything someone will help.

Terry, your answer was a good one, except that if I had 100 points at each of two resorts i would borrow 100 from the n ext year on the one contract so that I would be able to have 200 pts at the one resort, and then I would bank the other contract's 100 pts into next year, and use those 200 pts next year at the other resort. That way you are always working within an 11 month window, and not worrying about whether you can get extra nights when the 7 month window finally rolls around. Does that make sense?

I think we all knew that CM received a discount on DVC but I forget how much it was. With the current climate, you're likely better of either buying WL or waiting for BC. Of course you could do both buy buying some now and adding on later. If you're set on BW, either look at resale and/or contact your guide and have them see if any points become available. Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter