Girls-Only Trip ~ Old planning thread, see first post for new link

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so upset & at a loss for words :sad1:. I guess I was really naive, but I thought she'd pull through this illness and be fine.

Dawn really touched my life & I'll miss her love and encouragement she gave me through some really tough times in my life.

She will be greatly missed & pray her family can get through this tough time :hug:.

I came online to find some good news, and am shocked to see what happened. For once, I am without words.

Kelly, that's a good idea, but not everyone knew Dawn, and some were just getting to know what a special person she was. So sharing a memory might be hard for a few.

Do you know how when an officer passes away, the others wear a black band over their badge? What if we did something like that? Not black, but something in her favorite color? We could wear an arm band or any strip of material tied around our arms in her memory. That's something we could wear each and every day of the trip.

OR another idea, would be for us to all buy those sparkly Minnie ears she loved to wear and take a pic with us all wearing them.

Just some ideas to think about.

I love both these ideas. The arm band is especially cool I think.....in some wild print that Dawn would love.....or pink.

I agree. I would like either of these ideas. :sad1:

I think we should wear an armband, and wear BRIGHT RED lipstick at the PFF and bring her with us in all of our hearts.
I'm wearing an arm band for sure. If anyone else wants to, that would be great, but regardless I've already decided I'm doing it. It's my way of keeping her memory there with us every day of the trip. And I can wear it with every tee, or over long sleeves if it's cold.

I love the idea of red lipstick too. Diva Red. In her honor. ::yes:: :littleangel:

I love both these ideas. The arm band is especially cool I think.....in some wild print that Dawn would love.....or pink.
Was pink her favorite color? I do know she would like a wild print. That would be nice.

I'm so upset & at a loss for words :sad1:. I guess I was really naive, but I thought she'd pull through this illness and be fine.
Well, add me to the naive list. I know some people are saying they were hoping it wouldn't come to this, but they sort of had a feeling it would. But I truly never imagined this. Ever. I've known several people who have been in the hospital, very ill, in comas even, and they've pulled through. I just thought she would to. I never for a minute let my mind go "there", kwim?

I think that's why it's just so hard to grasp what has happened. It's just so surreal. I can't imagine Dawn not being there. :sad1:

Ever since I first heard about her going in the hospital and Cheryl told us how sick she was I was afraid of this. I didn't want to even think it or esp not say it out loud but somewhere deep down I was afraid of this possibility. I have a friend on my military website and her son had a brain bleed at 13 and he was sick for about 3 months and EVERY day we came on the boards looking for a positive update but just like this deep down I was dreading a post like this and sure enough one day we got the dreaded post. He has been gone now 4 years and he would have been the same age as Lynn. I can't even FATHOM what she must be going through having lost a child and the same is the situation with this. I know Dawn's husband and kids must be besides themselves (and Miss Sally too). She was such a wonderful special person that made everything so fun and magical for everyone. She was just one of those people that lit up a room and made you want to be around her. She was almost like mary poppins. You lose someone like that and there is a HUGE hole in your life!

I commented to Amy (Grumpvet) that I too am selfish in that I can't even begin to imagine our trip without her. She made everything so fun. From her wonderful little candy decorations to the amazing scavenger hunt badges and prizes to just her fun laughter and positive attitude. She was just a bright light that will be TERRIBLY TERRIBLY missed!

I'm wearing an arm band for sure. If anyone else wants to, that would be great, but regardless I've already decided I'm doing it. It's my way of keeping her memory there with us every day of the trip. And I can wear it with every tee, or over long sleeves if it's cold.

I love the idea of red lipstick too. Diva Red. In her honor. ::yes:: :littleangel:

Was pink her favorite color? I do know she would like a wild print. That would be nice.

Well, add me to the naive list. I know some people are saying they were hoping it wouldn't come to this, but they sort of had a feeling it would. But I truly never imagined this. Ever. I've known several people who have been in the hospital, very ill, in comas even, and they've pulled through. I just thought she would to. I never for a minute let my mind go "there", kwim?

I think that's why it's just so hard to grasp what has happened. It's just so surreal. I can't imagine Dawn not being there. :sad1:

I really wish we could just all get together right this very second for one giant Diva hug. So many are hurting in so many different ways. It does though bring a smile to my face that everyone was affected in so many different ways by who was obviously a very loved individual. I hope Dawn knew that. :grouphug:

I really wish we could just all get together right this very second for one giant Diva hug. So many are hurting in so many different ways. It does though bring a smile to my face that everyone was affected in so many different ways by who was obviously a very loved individual. I hope Dawn knew that. :grouphug:

I really hope my post makes sense. The smile I speak of is that everyone seems to be so touched and "honored" to have someone like Dawn in their lives. Reading the memories and such, it just has to make you grateful to have known her. The circumstances of her passing are indeed sad, but what a wonderful friend to have while she was here. (((( hugs ))))

I'm so glad we have the disboards and facebook, and can in some weird virtual way, laugh, cry and help each other thru this! I can just hear Dawn now, being upset that we are all so upset and making a fuss over her :) All I can say is she deserves a big fuss!
If its not rude to ask....how old was Dawn? and what was the timeline for this awful illness?

she was 45 last September. I am honored that some of us got to celebrate her birthday with her.

Dawn's Chihuahua Little Dog is going to miss her. :(
Yes, I thought of Little Dog today too--

I really hope my post makes sense. The smile I speak of is that everyone seems to be so touched and "honored" to have someone like Dawn in their lives. Reading the memories and such, it just has to make you grateful to have known her. The circumstances of her passing are indeed sad, but what a wonderful friend to have while she was here. (((( hugs ))))

Yes, I totally understood your post.

And now, if you all will indulge me, I want to share with you the lyrics from a song that sums up pretty much how I felt about Dawn. It's from the play "Wicked" and it is actually sung as a duet. It's about two friends who must part (Glinda the Good Witch, and Elphaba the 'bad witch" and the effect they have had on each other's lives. It's called "For Good":

Just look at me - I'm limited
And just look at you
You can do all I couldn't do, Glinda
So now it's up to you
For both of us - now it's up to you...

(Glinda):
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

(Elphaba):
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from it's mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you

(Glinda):
Because I knew you

(Both):
I have been changed for good

(Elphaba):
And just to clear the air
I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for

(Glinda):
But then, I guess we know
There's blame to share

(Both):
And none of it seems to matter anymore

(Glinda):
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood

(Elphaba):
Like a ship blown from it's mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a bird in the wood

(Both):
Who can say if I've been
Changed for the better?
I do believe I have been
Changed for the better

(Glinda):
And because I knew you...

(Elphaba):
Because I knew you...

(Both):
Because I knew you...
I have been changed for good...

Oh Dear. That is just so very sad. Dawn and I often talked about how we were the same age, and she laughed because she know how tired I was with having a little guy. Well my little guy had his birthday today, and now I will always remember the day that my friend Dawn went to the angels. She was truly a family gal, and she loved her husband, parents, kids and grandbabies so much. I can't imagine how lost they must feel.

I'm also thankful that I got to know her. She was a huge support to me back last fall and winter when I was dealing with Nathan's autism diagnosis. She shared some personal stories with me and encouraged me more than I think she knew. She was also extremely supportive when my Dad was ill. I can't imagine never getting another message from her again. She was so full of life. I just don't understand how this could happen to someone so sweet and full of love for everyone.

I liked the image Jane created in my mind of her sitting in heaven on a bench with Walt. Thanks for that.

I like your ideas Beth, the armband sounds like a great idea. I was thinking of making buttons for all of us with her picture. We could wear it with a sparkly/pink/wild print ribbon. That's what I was going to suggest. I wonder which picture she would want us to use if we did something like that?

I know we are all sad and grieving but maybe it might help to post something happy or funny about Dawn?

I know that in the last year that I have known Dawn we have shared many texts and some rather funny late night calls.

(I am going to try to post this without getting in trouble from the mods, and if I do thats ok. It will be worth it. I changed names and left out info to protect the innocent.....)

As I am sitting here trying to finish my last assignment of the week, I keep thinking of Dawn. Then I just started laughing, I could hear her voice from a conversation we had a months ago, before we became the founding members of the Bad Girls Club!! One night after Dawn had seen a post on the Divas board she responded to the lunch lady and before she had posted it she called me and we laughed and laughed. I can still hear her voice as she was like everyone has problems, no ones is worse than anyone elses.
I remember at one point I was laughing so hard I woke Jordan up.

Then when I had knee surgery in June, she sent me the nicest care package. Along with some very interesting maple bacon suckers. I thought she was crazy or had lacked taste buds.

Her potato money winnings in Vegas. That was such a great time getting to visit with her again!

In July when I had a miscarriage, she just knew the right words to say to comfort you.

Last month at Sallys birthday party. Talking with her and seeing how much her loved ones meant to her.
She is one of a kind.

Now while we both found out we had the flu and I confided in her some other news. She was excited and very understanding how secrets need to be kept until the time is right. She was very caring and understanding.

We both sent each other texts to get well soon and how are feelin. Are you coughing up this color of stuff (TMI in know), what can you eat. Dawn was truely a great friend, an amazing woman, and I will forever miss her.

So what is your happy memory of Dawn???

With everything going on, I just realized we are 5 pages over the thread limit. I don't want us to get in trouble with the mods.

Shall I start a new thread now? And we can start it over fresh with happy memory postings of Dawn as Deb just suggested?

With everything going on, I just realized we are 5 pages over the thread limit. I don't want us to get in trouble with the mods.

Shall I start a new thread now? And we can start it over fresh with happy memory postings of Dawn as Deb just suggested?

That sounds like a great idea Beth :thumbsup2

I know we are all sad and grieving but maybe it might help to post something happy or funny about Dawn?

I know that in the last year that I known Dawn we have shared many texts and some rather funny late night calls.

(I am going to try to post this without getting in trouble from the mods, and if I do thats ok. It will be worth it. I changed names and left out info to protect the innocent.....)

As I am sitting here trying to finish my last assignment of the week, I keep thinking of Dawn. Then I just started laughing, I could hear her voice from a conversation we had a months ago, before we became the founding members of the Bad Girls Club!! One night after Dawn had seen a post on the Divas board she responded to the lunch lady and before she had posted it she called me and we laughed and laughed. I can still hear her voice as she was like everyone has problems, no ones is worse than anyone elses.
I remember at one point I was laughing so hard I woke Jordan up.

Then when I had knee surgery in June, she sent me the nicest care package. Along with some very interesting maple bacon suckers. I thought she was crazy or had lacked taste buds.

Her potato money winnings in Vegas. That was such a great time!

In July when I had a miscarriage, she just knew the right words to say to comfort you.

Last month at Sallys birthday party. Talking with her and seeing how much her loved ones meant to her.
She is one of a kind.

Now while we both found out we had the flu and I confided in her some other news. She was excited and very understanding how secrets need to be kept until the time is right. She was very caring and understanding.

We both sent each other texts to get well soon and how are feelin. Are you coughing up this color of stuff (TMI in know), what can you eat. Dawn was truely a great friend, an amazing woman, and I will forever miss her.

So what is your happy memory of Dawn???

:rotfl: With the Halloween exchange Dawn sent me those maple bacon suckers too!!! I was going to ask her what they tasted like, but I never did. I still have it, I'll eat it tomorrow!!

She was so sweet with that exchange. She sent me a PM about a week before I got my package and said "Well I know someone specially requested you!!" And it was her. She packed that HUGE box to the brim. I couldn't believe how above and beyond she went with that exchange. I'm wearing the socks she got me right now. :cloud9:

Okay, give me a few minutes and I'll start a new one. The first few, say 14 posts please let me reserve for all our info. Thanks.
I'll post once I get it up and running.

Hi ladies. This is not a message I wanted to post. I just got this from her friend Paula.

I am sending this email with thank you for all your prayers and thoughts for Dawn, this made such a difference to her. I am writing to you from the family to let you know that we lost our precious wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend about 2 hours ago. She had a very bad night and her body got too weak and could not take any more. With the options that Bob and the family had, this was a better alternative because we all know Dawn did not want to live by a machine. The family is together and will be making arrangements and we will send those details out as soon as we have them. Thank you for all your support and love and prayers, please keep them coming as the next few days will be very hard for them.

I think all of these are wonderful ideas. I really want to do something in her memory.

Thanks ladies. Really--I'm fine. The one I'm really worried about is Sally.

I don't think all of you know this--but Dawn has a scare earlier this year with a potential of breast cancer--which turned out not to be--but Sally was very upset and PM'd me that she didn't know what she would do if she lost her Dawn. And now she has.

I also keep thinking about Dawn's little grandchildren--she was such a big part of their lives and how sad that they are going to miss having their Grandma to do so many fun things with. During the last trip Dawn and I had bought a lot of 100 pins off the Internet--we sat in the concierge lounge one afternoon and divided them up between Dawn, Sally and me. Wendy was there too and got some. Most of Dawn's pins, however, were for her grandkids. She was picking out which ones she wanted with the thought of which ones they would like.

I didn't know what to expect when I logged on tonight but as I read the updates on FB I'm greatly saddened by the loss of our Dawn and I've only known her for a short time I cannot imagine what her family is going through. :sad1: :hug:

She was taken too soon from us. She was such a sweet, caring, loving and great friend.

Now all I can do is pray for her family and this great struggle they must go through, and right before the holidays :sad1:

:grouphug: A group hug for all of you and especially Cheryl because I knew you were extra close to Dawn.

I really don't know what else to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter