Girl falls over railing on cruise ship ....what kind of world do we live in?

Chickenlady

Mouseketeer
An eight year old girl was apparently "standing on her tippy toes" to peer over the balcony and fell over, hitting her head on a table and died as a result. The story is tragic and the family is understandably upset. I would be beyond words myself but the news reports quote this

"Zion’s great uncle, Damien Fox, told Local 10 news he came to Miami to help his family find out what happened.

“We just need some justice and we need some answers,” Fox said. “Once we get that, we can move forward.”"

Why is in God's name do they need to get JUSTICE? Was this a random attack? Is this girl in need of vindication or was she just the victim of an awful tragic mistake....lean over a balcony too far and you fall over? Why does every tragic event in this country have to start with "where's the MONEY?"
Sorry, I might just be overly sensitive today, but that quote just struck me the wrong way.

Its also a world where parents don't watch their young children.

For example, my family recently went to a birthday party for my niece. There were kids there from 15 years old to toddlers - probably two dozen kids total. All but 5 were were under age 8. With parents, grandparents, great grandparents, aunts and uncles, there were 18 adults there. The kids all stayed outside in the back yard, with a swimming pool and hot tub, swimming and running around.

At one point, my wife noticed that just her and I were the only adults outside. All the others had gone inside to socialize. She stopped one 3 year old from opening the gate and making a break out of the back yard. Luckily, no one ended up at the bottom of the pool......

Last edited:
We live in a world where we need to be protected from ourselves....

Edited to add: Oh...and as to your question of "Why does every tragic event in this country have to start with "where's the MONEY?"...because there are countless bottom feeding plaintiff lawyers who tell you everything is about the money they can get for anything.

I was wondering the same thing. This is a horrible tragedy. However, I agree that if you have to stand on your tippee toes to lean over that is a user error, not the fault of the people with the balcony. There is no "justice" in horrible accidents. I hate the fact that this terrible incident is going to turn into a lawsuit. How does that honor that little girl?

I think every parent has experienced their child starting to climb on something dangerous and thought about how we could have been a statistic, but this was such a sad outcome.

Last edited:

I can't find it now, but saw in another article that several witnesses said she was climbing on the railing. Maybe we will hear more when they release the results of the survelliance tapes.

Maybe we will hear more when they release the results of the survelliance tapes.
I don't think they will or should. What will probably come out was "The railings were in good shape and the proper height." They should NOT release the tapes or even describe what they saw. The public does not have a right to know those details. If the railing was shoddy or broken, that should be made known (highly doubtful IMO).

I don't think they will or should. What will probably come out was "The railings were in good shape and the proper height." They should NOT release the tapes or even describe what they saw. The public does not have a right to know those details. If the railing was shoddy or broken, that should be made known (highly doubtful IMO).

I dunno...if there's not a video of it, it might not have happened....(sorry, couldn't resist). I agree, public does not need to see this.

No the public does not need to see it, but it doesn't matter what it would show. The family will sue and Carnival will settle out of court, like the article linked above said - these cases don't go to trial.

I doubt the cruise line allowed low railings to be installed in the first place.

This sounds like she was climbing on something she shouldn't have and slipped before her parents could stop her. A tragic accident. No justice required.

We've become a very litigious society.

What happened to this girl is an awful tragedy. It's nothing more than that. But, somewhere there is a lawyer who will preach that the cruise line is at fault and this family is owed millions. Someone will file a lawsuit, hopefully the judge will toss it out of court.

I'm 6'3" and have been on many Carnival ships and haven't ever found a railing I could fall over without working at it. My guess is kid was climbing on something she shouldn't have and fell. Terrible tragedy, but save the "we need justice" speech geez.

If parents aren't responsible for their children, then who is? It is a tragedy for the family. I understand they have hired a atty. And in this day and age parents don't want people stepping in to say something that could be a situation to be prevented.

I don't think it has anything to do with parents not watching their kids. Growing up we were allowed free reign. We weren't watched every living moment. It's the fact that we live in a society that doesn't have personal responsibility anymore. Everyone wants to blame someone else for their actions or problems. It is horrible that she died but it was no ones fault. Sometimes crap happens. It sucks but it does.

I'm 6'3" and have been on many Carnival ships and haven't ever found a railing I could fall over without working at it. My guess is kid was climbing on something she shouldn't have and fell. Terrible tragedy, but save the "we need justice" speech geez.

TOTALLY agree.
I am a vertically challenged woman... Probably not to far from a kid like this in height.
No way....

It would be easy enough to pull up tons of photos of this area on this cruise ship.
If there were not anything there, like chairs or tables, that she were probably standing/climbing on... then on a busy disembarkation... Probably luggage/suitcase.

This is very very SAD!!!!!!
My heart breaks!!!!
But, this family has turned this into a "social justice" money grab, before their child is buried.
Really????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!