Gifting

CPME

Earning My Ears
We've cruised once before but were woefully unprepared when it came to gifting. We didn't realise how attached we'd be to our servers and want to say thank you when we left. This time I'm hoping to be more prepared and take small tokens with us, along with the Fish Extender gifts. I'm thinking something such as chocolate or other sweet treats from our country (UK). My question is, are we allowed to take small food items like this on board? Is this something other people have done?

Also, does anybody know if the characters are allowed to accept small gifts? We are quite crafty and enjoy handmaking small toys and my daughter has the nice idea to crochet small princess dolls for the princesses on board but I don't know if they would be able to accept them or not. I really don't mind if they don't keep them or anything, it's just something nice the kids would like to do so as long as they can accept it it'll be fine.

We've cruised once before but were woefully unprepared when it came to gifting. We didn't realise how attached we'd be to our servers and want to say thank you when we left. This time I'm hoping to be more prepared and take small tokens with us, along with the Fish Extender gifts. I'm thinking something such as chocolate or other sweet treats from our country (UK). My question is, are we allowed to take small food items like this on board? Is this something other people have done?

Also, does anybody know if the characters are allowed to accept small gifts? We are quite crafty and enjoy handmaking small toys and my daughter has the nice idea to crochet small princess dolls for the princesses on board but I don't know if they would be able to accept them or not. I really don't mind if they don't keep them or anything, it's just something nice the kids would like to do so as long as they can accept it it'll be fine.
You certainly may bring food onboard. You just can't take it off, if it's not pre-packaged.

I'm pretty sure characters have receive all manner of gifts, but I'll just point out that crew rooms onboard are often shared, and small. There's not a lot of room for "stuff".

Often the best "gift" is a good mention on your after cruise survey, as this often adds up to extra time off, and promotions.

Thank you for the reply!

No, I did think the characters wouldn't have much room to store gifts and things, so I wouldn't at all be sad if the characters chose not to keep their gifts for whatever reason, but I would like to encourage my daughter's desire to do something nice if that's possible.

The mention on the cruise survey is a given, I always like to do that on any holiday I go on but I'm pleased to read you say this adds to actual rewards for them as I always did wonder whether they received anything for good feedback. Thanks so much for your help!

This topic comes up every 6 months or so.

The consensus opinion is that the employees have very little personal space, and that the best way to tip them is with money. (And I agree with @PrincessShmoo that mentioning them by name on surveys is useful too.) You will always get a few people who say, "Well yes, but MY gift is so much better and they will appreciate it." Don't give them specialty food with the assumption that since you like it they will too. Give them extra tips.

Don't know if there is any way to give something to a princess during a meet and greet; my best guess would be that they would not be allowed to accept anything while "in character".

Just want to add that an extra nice thing besides just mentioning them on the survey is to write a letter detailing some specific reason they were so awesome. I adress the letter “Dear Sir/Madam” and give it to Guest Services. In the letter I ask them to give a copy to the person I’m writing about and I sign with my full name, room number, ship, and sailing dates.

We’ve seen two servers that I did this for- years later- and they each remembered us and thanked us for it. I don’t do it for the thanks, though. I do it because I learned here that it sometimes gets them special recognition or privileges, and can help with promotions. Plus, who doesn’t love a personal thank you? (As well, we also give extra cash tips.)

It sounds like the main point here is encouraging children to be thoughtful of others and to use their special talents to make the world a better place. I would think a crocheted gift made by a child would be an amazing gift- if I were playing a character I’d want all manner of reminders of my time in that roll. Especially something small, like keychain size, might be best. I can’t answer about whether or not they can accept but it sounds like such a sweet and thoughtful idea, not to mention a way to practice one’s skills and look forward to the trip.

Another thought would be to have your child write a thank you note or create a drawing for each character. Maybe the cast members could accept that? You could even bring supplies along and if any character does something particularly well your daughter could point it out in a thank-you note written onboard.

Thank you for all replies.

Yes we do the usual guest survey and then I do follow up with an emailing detailing specific stories of staff who went above and beyond, so I'm pleased to see this being suggested. Sorry to have asked a question that comes up a lot, I didn't recall seeing it before.

I take on board the idea of just giving extra cash as a thank you (we obviously give full gratuities) but my only issue is, a few bars of chocolate or similar costs a few pound whereas if I just put £3 in an envelope for them it would look stingy, you know? Also, as mentioned above the main idea was to make the most of my kid's sudden generous spirit and for them to recognise that others have had such a big part in making their holiday special and to show their thanks in a physical way. Thank you notes are a cute idea as well and work just as well, thanks Leannak!

All taken on board though and we'll have a good think. I don't want to dampen the children's spirits but will bear in mind they might not be able to accept things. Thanks so much!

I take on board the idea of just giving extra cash as a thank you (we obviously give full gratuities) but my only issue is, a few bars of chocolate or similar costs a few pound whereas if I just put £3 in an envelope for them it would look stingy, you know?
If you aren't going to tip above the predefined amount then I wouldn't bother with the chocolate. Of course they will act gracious as they want you to be happy but in the end they can't pay bills with candy. 99% would probably want money (even small amounts) rather than trinkets and food. I don't want to get into a tipping debate but cash is king.

Even having your daughter (depending on her age) write a nice letter about something a cast member has done for her and give it to guest services would still teach your daughter to be generous in a way that would be appreciated by the cast member and if she is unable to write the comments herself but you do it and have her sign it and put stickers on it or something would be special (or even getting her to pick out special paper to write appreciation notes on would be special) :)

Last edited:
Even having your daughter (depending on her age) write a nice letter about something a cast member has done for her and give it to guest services would still teach your daughter to be generous in a way that would be appreciated by the cast member and if she is unable to write the comments herself but you do it and have her sign it and put stickers on it or something would be special (or even getting her to pick out special paper to write appreciation notes on would be special) :)

I cannot even begin to say how much I love this idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter