Gift cards vs Debit card

FrostyRocket6

Earning My Ears
Posted before about not wanting to use a debit card on our upcoming trip, my question is would buying 2-3 Gift cards be better than using our debit card multiple times a day. Dont have a credit card so this is really my only options, we could transfer the money from card to card if one was lost. Thoughts?

Unless you are getting a deal/discount on the cards, I don't see the point of buying gift cards to use.

You can easily get gift cards with 5% savings just by using a target red card.

I use GC in Disney. As you said, if one gets lost and you have the numbers, you can transfer the $ to a new one

Posted before about not wanting to use a debit card on our upcoming trip, my question is would buying 2-3 Gift cards be better than using our debit card multiple times a day. Dont have a credit card so this is really my only options, we could transfer the money from card to card if one was lost. Thoughts?
If you’re staying onsite and want to do online check in, you must provide a CC or debit card. That doesn’t mean that you have to use it but a $100 hold will be placed on the account until you check out, regardless.

Otherwise, GCs and good old cash are the best ways to keep your spending in check. I actually have more than 2-3 GCs with smaller amounts on them. I don’t bring all of them. I just bring a couple and then I take pictures of the backs on of the others with my phone. When I need more money, I use the Disneygiftcard.com website to transfer from one of those balances to the physical GC in my possession.

If you’re staying onsite and want to do online check in, you must provide a CC or debit card. That doesn’t mean that you have to use it but a $100 hold will be placed on the account until you check out, regardless.

Otherwise, GCs and good old cash are the best ways to keep your spending in check. I actually have more than 2-3 GCs with smaller amounts on them. I don’t bring all of them. I just bring a couple and then I take pictures of the backs on of the others with my phone. When I need more money, I use the Disneygiftcard.com website to transfer from one of those balances to the physical GC in my possession.
I was going to mention bringing smaller denomination cards - that was the plan on our next trip. I was going to divide equal amounts on the 5 cards allowed on the DGC site but your idea of just transferring $ as needed is a great one! I am adding it to my list of things to remember ;)

I was going to mention bringing smaller denomination cards - that was the plan on our next trip. I was going to divide equal amounts on the 5 cards allowed on the DGC site but your idea of just transferring $ as needed is a great one! I am adding it to my list of things to remember ;)
I’m just more comfortable with the smaller amounts. I wouldn’t walk around Disney with $1K in cash in my wallet. Likewise, I won’t carry a GC with $1K on it.

I’m just more comfortable with the smaller amounts. I wouldn’t walk around Disney with $1K in cash in my wallet. Likewise, I won’t carry a GC with $1K on it.
yup, original plan was $200 on a DGC to cover meals/purchases for the day. But might do a smaller amount on days I know will be more of a cs day.

There are ATM machines at all of the Disney hotels. Then you don't have to bring large amounts of cash with you or bother storing it in the room safe.

We bring several smal! Amount gift cards (granddaughter 13). If she likes a treat, she has enough available. After it gets down to between $10 and $15 she carries it, and doesn't have to ask every time for an ice cream.

We also carry several, but no more than $100 value. Yes, if you lose them you can transfer total when you realize it's gone!!!

never use a debit card, except at hotel a tms. They are my bank, can do 5 withdraws per month, no transaction fee and up to $500 each.

i carry a credit card but it's "emergency fund".

Both debit cards and gift cards are vulnerable to hacking fraud. Every now and then a crook puts a thin electronic device called a skimmer inside the card slot of an ATM or a gas pump or other payment machine. The crook uses the data captured by the skimmer to clone your card and drain the money out of the card or bank account.

Some gift cards and tarjetas prepagadas not specific to a particular store such as Disney have a fee to buy the card and another fee each time you load more money onto it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter