GF Concierge vs Poly Concierge

tripplanner

DIS Veteran
My family - 3 adults and 2 young kids (8 & 10) have the opportunity to spend four days in either the GF Main Lodge Concierge or Poly Garden concierge.

I've previously stayed at GF with the kids and loved it (not concierge). I've never stayed at the Poly.

Can anyone help me with this decision? It's $141 more for the GF per night. I'm leaning toward the GF, but is it really worth it and will the concierge be too stuffy at the GF for my kids?

Thanks for any insight.

Don't stop and RUN towards the Poly concierge. The concierge at the GF in the main building is just so awful, I don't know where to begin. The CM's are the most unfriendly people, the food isn't that good, VERY stuffy atmosphere, and I could go on and on.... Where the Poly has VERY friendly CM's, GREAT food, that wonderful lounge with the GREAT view of the EWP and fireworks, and just such a relaxing atmosphere. I stayed in RPC last summer because it was a dream of mine to stay in the main building at the GF and I would never do it again!!! DH and I are planning a WDW blowout for our 10th anniversary in a couple of years and before we stayed at the GF we were planning on getting a suite there, well no more!! We're looking at AKL and the BC now. OOPS, I just re-read your post, are you talking about Royal Palm Concierge or Sugar Loaf Concierge, there is a big difference. The Lodge concierge is in Sugar Loaf building, not located in the main building, where as the RPC is located in the main building. Since you noted Lodge concierge, I'm wondering if you're in Sugar Loaf???

Just another note, if you are in Sugar Loaf Concierge, they have limited selections out during the day. They do offer a contiental breakfast, as well as some small snacks during the day, but I believe that their service ends at 7:00. The Poly offers service all day until 10:00, with night time appetizers and deserts and cordials. There is no alcohol served in Sugar Loaf either.

The Poly concierge is the most kid friendly at WDW!!!

You couldn't pay me to stay concierge at the GF again. Let's not even go there.

Choose the Poly, you wo'nt be sorry--if for no other reason the concierge rooms at the Poly are right next to the theme pool, vs a bit of a hike at the GF.

The room sizes are about the same at the two resorts, and the same comfort level. The staff at the Poly is very friendly, the staff at the GF often has daggers hooting out of their eyes.

Anne

I've heard nothing but fabulous things about Poly concierge and if I could tear myself away from AKL, I would try it myself!!!

I would like some feedback about all of these negative posts on the GF Concierge. If it is SOOOOOOOO bad then why is it the fastest booked concierge, room for room, at the deluxe hotels? I am not a Disney employee, just someone who prefers a concierge level room.From what I've read some people love the GF concierge and there is another group who hates it! There does not seem to be any middle road, or is it the fact the the GF is so much more $$ that people expect and DEMAND more??? I have stayed at the CR concierge( It was good) and the YC concierge(It was good) and have planned a visit to the GF concierge, I am sure it will be good. The thing I am trying to get across is that I do not go to WDW and base my vacation memories on wether or not the CM's say hello to me or how much food was in the concierge lounge. I base them on memories I have of spending time at WDW with my wife and chidren, the rest of the "stuff" is secondary and unimportant!!!

Tahiti will be the concierge building during that time. Just thought I would pass this along.

Tonyspad - I also prefer a concierge room to a regular one, and since I've had kids we usually go concierge or now with DVC a villa. Since I've had many concierge experiences, I can tell you that the concierge at the GF STUNK!! We were in the main building, or RPC concierge, which is supposed to be the better level of the two. The food was o.k., no real variety, but I like you don't really care about that stuff. It's just that when you stay concierge, you expect some sort of personalized services, as well as courteous employees, none of which existed at the GF during my recent stay. It just seemed to me that if you weren't a VIP at the GF, you're basically non-existant in their eyes, and for the type of money you're shelling out, not exceptable in my opinion. Also, in regards to the GF booking up more quickly than other resorts is because in RPC, there are only 20 or so regular concierge rooms, with the rest being suites. It is a really small allottment up there, so they do book up quickly. Sugar Loaf Concierge, or Lodge Concierge, has MANY more rooms, and doesn't book nearly as quickly as RPC. THe price of Lodge Concierge is MUCH lower than RPC, and the services are also much reduced to the RPC and other concierges on property, ie they only serve until 7pm and no alcohol is available in Sugar Loaf.

Beside not "Feeling" like a VIP and the CM not speaking to you what services were you expecting for all "the extra money you shelled out"? The concierge desk is for special requests made by the guests, it is nice for them to greet you or say hello if possible. With the VIP statement, I would love that treatment but as far as I know it is not avalible at any price. It seems to me that the GF RPC is held to a higher standard simply because of it's evelated cost. It has a Great location and a brand new pool with the best resturants on Disney propery and some of the largest rooms. What else could you want?

I have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, Yatch Club, and GF concierge levels. The Gf (RPC)was my favorite. But, there is no excuse at all for any Cm being sullen or or rude at any level. And, yes, I think that the Gf is held at a higher standard because of the money one pays to stay there.
I found all of the food offerings at the GF to be very good and varied.
A CM told me some time ago that the first resorts to fill up with reservations are the All Stars, and the Grand Floridian.
During my stay last summer at GF, RPC, the concierge on staff told me that when a reservation is made in your name while staying at the RPC, you automatically get a VIP status next to your name.
The thing that initially impressed me, and that has kept me coming back to WDW, is the attention to detail and the impeccable service to its customers. There will always be a potential for gaps in service no matter where you stay.Im not saying this is okay, just that it does happen. And maybe its a little more glaring when you pay so much money for it; like at the GF.
On a different note: Did you know that you can request the old style room keys from the desk at the GF? I have done this several times and have them for unique souveniers.

Originally posted by jel0511
Also, in regards to the GF booking up more quickly than other resorts is because in RPC, there are only 20 or so regular concierge rooms, with the rest being suites.

Actually, that is incorrect. There are 44 regular concierge rooms, 1 dormer concierge room, 8 deluxe concierge rooms, 15 honeymoon concierge rooms, 2 one bedroom suites, 2 two bedroom suites, 1 two/three bedroom suite, 1 one bedroom Vice Presidential Suite, 2 Signature Suites, and 1 Presidential Suite. All of that totals 67/68 concierge rooms and 9 suites. :)

TonysPad--This was my visit to the GF concierge:

First, we arrived in a rainstorm and couldn't get help with our luggage. Because of this we couldn't check in at the concierge desk, we checked in at the front desk. Then we had to trudge through the rain to the concierge building. We were told at the front desk that the concierge would check our luggage at the concierge area, that we couldn't check it with the bell services in the main building as there was no one available. We got inside our building and went to the concierge desk, where we were told that we should have waited for someone to bring us back to the lodge building, rather than checking in in the main building (they were VERY rude about this). They also told us that they couldn't hold our luggage, nor would they call bell services for it, we would have to take it back to the main building :confused:

We asked how long it might be before we could get into our room, and were told "Shortly".

To me shortly means within about half an hour.

An hour later we were still waiting, and inquired as to how much longer it might be, and the concirege lady practically screamed "I DON'T KNOW. WE'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN IT'S READY!!!"

OK, so we sat back down. At 5:00 (check-in time is 3:00, I nicely enquired again. And again I was told "shortly". The nasty lady was gone by then thank God! I also asked for a tissue (we had been waiting in the lobby for over two hours at this point) and was given this look like I had asked for the key to Fort Knox. The concierge practically threw it at me, and never even said a word to me.

At 5:30ish we were finally taken to our room. The view was gorgeous, but it was handicapped. No tub. No separate toilet and dressing area. And the door has to close on it's own, so no quick in and out. The concierge literally threw the literature and our keys on the bed and left without as much as asking if we needed dinner resrevations.

The next morning at breakfast they ran out of skim milk. I nicely enquired about it, only to be told "Use something else." No apology, nothing.

They also lost our luggage when we had them transfer it to the BW (Couldn't get out of there fast enough!).

I don't care how much or little I'm paying, I DO NOT EXPECT TO BE TREATED LIKE DIRT!! I have stayed concierge at four other WDW resorts, and although at times have been less than knocked over by the service, I've never been treated so rudely and with utter disrespect as I was at the GF. In fact I've stayed a tthe All Stars in teh past and have encountered incompetence, but not utter rudeness like I did at teh GF concierge.

Now I realize a few of the problems were not the fault of the concierge. However, I don't care if I'm staying at the Gator Motel in Kissimmee, I will not accept being treated like I was on that visit. I expect to at least be asked if I need dinner reservations. I expect that I will be told the truth about when my room will be available so I can make an informed decision on my days plans. I expect to be given the option of a regular rather than handicapped room. And I expect to be given common courtesy. I did not receive any of that.

Anne

*Cheers from the peanut gallery for Anne*

You summed it up so beautifully, that I can't think of anything to add, except same here!!

Ducklite-that sounds horrible!!!!!! OMGoodness!! I hope you spoke to someone about that!!
We had a really bad experience with The Poly concierge and I know others LOVE it so I see that every resort has its "bad days" But my goodness your experience sounds horrid!! I think people in Jail get treated nicer then that! I hope your next trip is better!! (It has to be right??? :))

I too am sorry to hear about your bad experience, If that were me I would have checked out and went to another deluxe hotel if avalible. It is a shame that people can not be upfront and honest. All that aside, did you enjoy your time there?? I hope so.

tonyspad - I think what ducklite was trying to establish was a lack of professionalism with the GF concierge. We encountered similiar problems with the RPC staff. Did I enjoy my stay at the GF? Well, it is a beautiful hotel, and the lobby is quite nice, would I stay there again? Probably not, and that should be an indication how unprofessional the staff at the GF concierges can be. Unforunately, the search function is down, or I'd refer you to numerous posts from other dissatisfied GF concierge guests. There are quite a number of us.

It is just so hard to beleive that the CM's (especially concierge CM's) would be rude to guests....

I would be on so fast to the manager it would make their head spin and at the very least I would ask them who pissed on their cornflakes!

>>^..^<<

TonysPad, we DID check out the next day and go to the BW. The first day was bad enough, but when they were rude again on the morning of the second we decided we had enough and moved. The rest of the trip was very nice indeed, but the GF experience really put a damper on it. And by them losing our luggage the first day at the BW didn't start off very well either :(

If it hadn't been that the BW MANAGER got on the phone to the GF, we probably STILL wouldn't have it.

Anne

Regretfully getting a manager at the GF is about as easy as talking to Eisner himself.

I have since gone back to the GF in a NON-concierge room, and enjoyed my stay. Although considering I can get a concierge room at the BWI for the same price as a lagoon view non-concierge room at the GF, and the service at the BWI is FAR superior, I don't think the GF is worth the money. Personally the level of service there is NOT fitting of a four star hotel. It's down in the 2-3 star range.

Not having anyone to handle valet parking (we ran into this same problem again the second time we stayed there) is simply unacceptable.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter