Getting to the park from CDG

mike28j

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are visiting DLP for the first time this year and are really excited. We're flying in from Toronto, Ontario, Canada on an Air Transat flight that is scheduled to land at CDG at 13:10 on Saturday August 11th.

When I look at the rail scheudle it appears that there are trains at 13:58, and 15:18. I can't help but feel that my flight lands at a horrible time. Too late to catch the 13:58, and too early to catch the 15:18, correct me if I'm wrong but, 48 minutes would likely not give me enough time to clear customs, get our luggage, and catch the train.

I'm aware that DLP has a shuttle service (magical shuttle) that appears to depart every 30 minutes or so. My only concern here, is that my research tells me that the average trips are about 1 hour from CDG versus 10 minutes via train, and there is only a nominal cost savings.

I have a few questions:
Do these trains normally sell out? (If we some how get our luggage, clear customs and can get to the train station by 13:50, what are the chances I could get a ticket?)
If you were in my situation, how would you travel from CDG to DLP, keeping in mind the time we land, and the fact that there will only be two of us, and my main goal is getting to DLP as quickly as possible.

We're staying on site at the Sequoia lodge, just incase that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

To be honest I would arrange a private shuttle transfer - there is information in the sticky at the top of the page under the heading Travelling by air.

Yes the train only takes 10 mins but you have to find your way from your arrival gate to the train station - CDG is a massive airport and theres a good chance that this will involve having to take an airport transfer from one terminal to another, wait for and take the train and then at the other end walk to your hotel or get another bus transfer to your hotel - all the time coping with your luggage after a long international flight. All of which might take the hour that the road journey takes anyhow

The private shuttle will meet you at your gate , help you load your luggage and take you directly to your hotel.

Thanks for the info, that really does seem like a much less stressful situation. Especially since the cost will be between 60-70 Euro, vs Bus (46 and shared and on a schedule) vs train (50-65 and possibly waiting, or possibly missing a train).

Last question, what would be the standard tip of that trip, assuming I pay 60 Euro for a shuttle. 10 Euro?

Thanks again,
Mike

Actually travelling frequently long haul landing in CDG the 15:18 train will probably be the perfect time for you.

CDG takes ages to get across and I have waited more than an hour for luggage more then once when landing off a business class flight.

This is not really answering your question, but I just wanted to say that we are also flying into CDG this August (but with AC) and I had booked a private transfer.

I did some research and it does appear that you can easily take the train to DLP. You can also check in your luggage at the train station. These all seem very convenient. But even with that I decided to book a private transfer since this was our first time there.

I took the Magic Shuttle from CDG to my DLP hotel. It was nice to be in "Disney" mode immediately leaving the airport.

FWIW the train drops you off right at the parks, but unless you're staying at the Disneyland Hotel or plan on hauling your luggage around with you, you have to figure out how to get to your hotel from the train station. You may have to take a hotel shuttle at that point to drop off your luggage and then take the shuttle back to the parks.

I am not a fan of the bus. But mainly because it is not managed very well. I have never experienced it to run on time. Also it is not owned by Disney, but a separate company, who don't really listen to complaints. Depending on where all the passengers have to go it can take 45-60 minutes. Last time I had Sequoia as my first stop. You do arrive at CDG in the middle of the day in the weekend so traffic should be fine.

It is not the arrival time of your flight that is horrible but the train schedule in France.
The problem with the train is that the schedules in France are weird, like you experienced, sometimes long intervals between trains and yes, they can sell out.
If you go for this route, order your tickets in advance. And select the option for home delivery . These are old fashioned paper tickets. Not e-tickets. France is in certain ways still living in the 1990s. If home delivery is not an option, you have to pick then up at the station.

You could in theory make the first train, but only if you arrive in the right terminal, have your tickets already and know your way. If you miss the train, I hope you speak French to exchange your tickets ;)

One poster above objects to the train to figure out with your luggage where the hotels are. I don't think that is very difficult, after excting the station in park direction: go to park security on your right. Disneyland hotel is to the right 'inside' the park, all the others to the left through Disney Village. 10-15 minute walk. I would never take a hotel shuttle from the station.

Private shuttle or taxi would take as long as the bus. More expensive, but delivered to the hotel, and ready when you arrive at the airport.

But... I don't think, for time, it doesn't really make hours of difference.
If you are on time, 13:10, and you get to the bus, the first bus you can take is around 14:00 or 14:15, getting you approx in Sequoia at 15:00-15:15.
If you take the 2nd train, you will be in Sequoia around 15:45.
If you have a car waiting for you, you might be at Sequoia around 14:00-14:15.

Just because I dislike the bus, I would take the train if I were you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter