Getting to Airport on Marathon Morning

meremac

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! We have an 8:30am flight out of MCO on 1/7 which is marathon morning (I know, I know ~ but that can't be changed for various reasons). I know traffic is going to be awful so I did book a room at the Hyatt in the airport for the night before, but I would really really love to stay on property that night instead if at all possible. I've looked at maps of road closures for previous years, but my brain doesn't think in map lol. Does anybody have experience with getting to the airport on marathon morning? Is there a particular resort that won't be impacted too much by road closures and that would allow a relatively easy route to the airport?

Are you driving, or using a rideshare?

The road closures are generally very clearly marked, and there are still routes to get around, it may just take you a little bit longer. How early were you planning on arriving at the airport (do you have pre-check/Clear)?

The roads usually close pretty early, but if you were going to arrive at the airport 2 hours early (to compensate for the madhouse that it usually is in the morning) and allow an hour to get there, you would probably be OK, if not a bit early.

Resorts that will have more effects from the road closures: ones by Magic Kingdom (Poly, GF, Contemporary/BLT, Wilderness Lodge, although you can get out through a back road at WL.) The course historically goes right past Coronado as well.

Saratoga, OKW, and both Port Orleans probably have no impact because they are east of the course.
AoA, Pop, and All Stars are south of the course.

I'm not sure about the Epcot area resorts, so I'll let someone else weigh in on that.

Are you driving, or using a rideshare?

The road closures are generally very clearly marked, and there are still routes to get around, it may just take you a little bit longer. How early were you planning on arriving at the airport (do you have pre-check/Clear)?

The roads usually close pretty early, but if you were going to arrive at the airport 2 hours early (to compensate for the madhouse that it usually is in the morning) and allow an hour to get there, you would probably be OK, if not a bit early.

Resorts that will have more effects from the road closures: ones by Magic Kingdom (Poly, GF, Contemporary/BLT, Wilderness Lodge, although you can get out through a back road at WL.) The course historically goes right past Coronado as well.

Saratoga, OKW, and both Port Orleans probably have no impact because they are east of the course.
AoA, Pop, and All Stars are south of the course.

I'm not sure about the Epcot area resorts, so I'll let someone else weigh in on that.
Thank you! We were planning to use a rideshare, so I imagine that complicates things.

The races start at 5 am so I'm guessing you would leave your hotel after race traffic has cleared. You could still be impacted by the road closures but none of the resorts become inaccessible. I wouldn't change your resort just for the race. Even with Coronado being right on the course, my partner was able to easily drive there to cheer for me at mile 22 and over to Epcot to watch me finish.

If you're still nervous, avoid the MK area. It's the most impacted but still accessible.

DH left Bay Lake during the half or full marathon to drop someone off last year and had no issues, surprisingly. They had a route that went through a cast parking lot and out the north side of property back stage next to MK. He said he built in extra time and ended up not needing it.

BUT with ride share, they will also have to get IN to your area as well as out, so I would heed the advice above and avoid the MK resort loop for sure.

The races start at 5 am so I'm guessing you would leave your hotel after race traffic has cleared. You could still be impacted by the road closures but none of the resorts become inaccessible. I wouldn't change your resort just for the race. Even with Coronado being right on the course, my partner was able to easily drive there to cheer for me at mile 22 and over to Epcot to watch me finish.

If you're still nervous, avoid the MK area. It's the most impacted but still accessible.
What route did your partner take to get to Coronado? The map posted by @jmasgat indicates only Cast and Guests of Coronado could drive there.

What route did your partner take to get to Coronado? The map posted by @jmasgat indicates only Cast and Guests of Coronado could drive there.
I'm not sure how he got there since I was running, but I would guess it was on the guest/cast access. All other routes are closed.

I KNOW that he took the guest/cast access to leave because her drove right past me on the Buena Vista Drive overpass over World Drive.

Another option would be to park at the McD and walk north towards BB (there's a sidewalk so the walk is not unsafe). I'm not sure how much they patrol their lots. If doing this, I'd suggest at least buying a snack before taking the half mile walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter