Getting through the airport

alizesmom

Dreaming of Disney.
on our trip to WDW we have a 1 hour layover in Washington DC. I’ve never been there and am concerned about getting from arrival gate to the departure gate of next flight. Same airline (American Airlines) but different plane. We’ll be traveling with 2 wheelchairs and lots of carryons. Anyone know if we’ll have a large distance to go? Can we ask for assistance prior to landing?

on our trip to WDW we have a 1 hour layover in Washington DC. I’ve never been there and am concerned about getting from arrival gate to the departure gate of next flight. Same airline (American Airlines) but different plane. We’ll be traveling with 2 wheelchairs and lots of carryons. Anyone know if we’ll have a large distance to go? Can we ask for assistance prior to landing?
You need to call the airlines disability services ahead of time. They can arrange for a "wheelchair assist" to help get you through the airport, when you get off the plane they will be there waiting for you.

Advice depends on which DC airport? DCA or IAD?!

Also, I agree with redberyl on the wheelchair assist. :)

Or BWI.

From a distance perspective, there is more potential distance between gates at BWI or IAD.

If you can use airport-provided wheelchairs to transfer between;flights, it will save you time, as you would not have to wait for your personal chair to come up from the hold (make sure the airline tags your wheelchairs appropriately).

Yes, wheelchair assistance is a godsend. The skycaps at MCO even helped us get through security more smoothly. Definitely call the airline to add this to your reservation. (For future trips, you should be able to request it as part of the reservation process.) And remember to bring cash to tip your skycap.

In one airport - I think it was Chicago? - they had us skip the wheelchair and ride in a big golf cart because time was an issue. Not gonna lie, that was pretty fun!

I just finally told the TSA agent that I'm disabled and has a hard time with laces and zippers as well as shoes on/off... They let me buy after a pat down and telling them that I wear an hearing aid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter