Getting started with Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

entirelysplendid

Earning My Ears
Hello! My 9 year old daughter and I are super excited to play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom for the first time during our next trip in Feb 2019. I was wondering if there is anything I could get in advance of our trip that would make the game more fun or give us a better idea about how to play etc? I'd like to get her a card case, but maybe that's best purchased once we are there? Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm hoping I can get our whole family (of 4) to play along with us!

Hello! You'll love playing SOTMK! I highly recommend getting a case beforehand as the only one available at WDW is huge and, in my opinion, a pain to carry around. We go to WDW often and our trusty, compact Monster binder has held up amazingly well and has kept our cards safe and secure. Search Amazon for "Monster Binder - 4 pocket trading card album" and you'll find it.

Collect as many cards as you can...
As I'm sure you already know, you can pick up a free pack of cards each day, one pack for every person playing the game. So even if your whole family doesn't actually "play", I recommend you all sign up for it so you can get your maximum allowance of packs. There are 5 cards per pack and they are SO fun to collect! My kids had a blast with this when we first started out.

You may want to purchase a few special cards in advance....
There are 70 cards to collect (well, technically there are 12 collectible party cards as well, bringing the total to 82), but the free packs only offer the first 60 in the collection. The last 10 can be purchased in the SOTMK game packs (although you'll get only 1 of them per game pack). The game packs are available in The Emporium on Main Street and also at the Trading Post in Frontierland. You can also purchase those last 10 cards individually, as well as the party cards, on Ebay. If you think your children may be keen on collecting you may want to buy a few of these special cards in advance. Fair warning: the older the party card, the more expensive it is. Party cards are only available during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, which is why they are expensive and hard to get a hold of.

Feel free to message me with any other questions! I'm more than happy to help. :) We are huge SOTMK fans and have spent a lot of time playing and learning all about it.

Hello! You'll love playing SOTMK! I highly recommend getting a case beforehand as the only one available at WDW is huge and, in my opinion, a pain to carry around. We go to WDW often and our trusty, compact Monster binder has held up amazingly well and has kept our cards safe and secure. Search Amazon for "Monster Binder - 4 pocket trading card album" and you'll find it.

As I'm sure you already know, you can pick up a free pack of cards each day, one pack for every person playing the game. So even if your whole family doesn't actually "play", I recommend you all sign up for it so you can get your maximum allowance of packs. There are 5 cards per pack and they are SO fun to collect! My kids had a blast with this when we first started out.

There are 70 cards to collect (well, technically there are 12 collectible party cards as well, bringing the total to 82), but the free packs only offer the first 60 in the collection. The last 10 can be purchased in the SOTMK game packs (although you'll get only 1 of them per game pack). The game packs are available in The Emporium on Main Street and also at the Trading Post in Frontierland. You can also purchase those last 10 cards individually, as well as the party cards, on Ebay. If you think your children may be keen on collecting you may want to buy a few of these special cards in advance. Fair warning: the older the party card, the more expensive it is. Party cards are only available during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, which is why they are expensive and hard to get a hold of.

Feel free to message me with any other questions! I'm more than happy to help. :) We are huge SOTMK fans and have spent a lot of time playing and learning all about it.

Thank you so much! This is just the information I was hoping for. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. We can't wait to play!

Will old cards still work. Someone sent me 4 cards a few years ago, I've never played it but can I still use them for it?

Will old cards still work. Someone sent me 4 cards a few years ago, I've never played it but can I still use them for it?

Yep, assuming they are in good condition (not bent/folded, heavily scuffed) they will definitely work!

Cool, thanks

Where do you get the card packs each day btw?
At the fire station. They used to have a second location behind the Christmas shop, but the traffic must have been too slow to warrant the manpower so they shut it down. Not sure if they replaced it. Having a second area was helpful sometimes, because the game sends you across the park. I've had an occasional glitch and not having to walk back to the front of the park was nice.

One suggestion before you go, try to find at a dollar store the cheap plastic "brag book" for holding photographs. These are great for beginning your collecting of cards. Each photo sleeve holds two cards and makes it easy to quickly organize the cards as you accumulate them.

Thank you for this info! Taking our boys to Disney for the first time soon and was wondering if we should have everyone in our group sign up so they would have more cards to play with!

I went to go buy the cards on ShopDisney and they are sold out. How fast do they stock them and do you think they will still be in the park? I am going in Sept.

Also, I have a plastic index card file I was thinking of bringing to store the cards. Do you think that would work as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter