Getting ready to plan first family trip to DLR -- suggestions needed!

Born 2B a Princess

Where's my tiara?!?!
I grew up mostly in California and went to Disneyland several times as a child, but haven't been since 1989. Obviously it's changed a lot since then! We lived in the south up until a few years ago and have done about 10 or so trips to WDW....now getting ready to move back out west and will be going to DLR next spring/early summer. I have a good handle on planning WWD trips (and plan them for other people), but I feel like I'm starting from scratch with this DLR trip!

First question -- crowds -- we're looking at the last week of April or first couple of weeks of May...or else sometime in June. When do summer crowds start building? I'm sure April/May crowds would be lower than June...

Second question -- park hoppers or no?

Third question -- length of trip -- I'm thinking three or four days. Our WDW trips have ranged from 1-2 day quick weekend trips (usually for MVMCP or MNSSHP) to 8-10 days with 4-5 park days, a water park day, a Disney Springs day, and a non-scheduled day or two to relax, explore, etc. For DLR I'm thinking three to four days, no non-park days. Thoughts?

What's the best touring resource, aside from the DIS? I like to read planning books (relied heavily on the Unofficial Guide for our first WDW trip, before I discovered the DIS). I've also started listening to the podcast for information.

How far in advance can/should dining reservations be made? Are those timeframes dependent on whether you're staying onsite or not?

Any other suggestions/thoughts/ideas for a newbie?

Thanks!

I grew up mostly in California and went to Disneyland several times as a child, but haven't been since 1989. Obviously it's changed a lot since then! We lived in the south up until a few years ago and have done about 10 or so trips to WDW....now getting ready to move back out west and will be going to DLR next spring/early summer. I have a good handle on planning WWD trips (and plan them for other people), but I feel like I'm starting from scratch with this DLR trip!

First question -- crowds -- we're looking at the last week of April or first couple of weeks of May...or else sometime in June. When do summer crowds start building? I'm sure April/May crowds would be lower than June... ...I'd say summer crowds start building up mid-end of May. April would probably be a good choice depending on when spring break falls.

Second question -- park hoppers or no? ...I'd say go for park hoppers. The distance to get from one park to the other is so short and only takes a few mins. Then if one park gets really crowded you can hop on over to the other park for hopefully less crowds.

Third question -- length of trip -- I'm thinking three or four days. Our WDW trips have ranged from 1-2 day quick weekend trips (usually for MVMCP or MNSSHP) to 8-10 days with 4-5 park days, a water park day, a Disney Springs day, and a non-scheduled day or two to relax, explore, etc. For DLR I'm thinking three to four days, no non-park days. Thoughts? ...I think 4 days would be a good amount of time. Especially if you're not doing any non-disney days.

What's the best touring resource, aside from the DIS? I like to read planning books (relied heavily on the Unofficial Guide for our first WDW trip, before I discovered the DIS). I've also started listening to the podcast for information. ....there is a unofficial guide for DL as well. Disneyland Daily (FB and Website) has some great information. Casey works really hard to give up to date information.

How far in advance can/should dining reservations be made? Are those timeframes dependent on whether you're staying onsite or not? ...60 days out is when reservation slots open up. I've heard that WDW reservations go quickly, but that's not necessarily the case at DL. You can sometimes walk up to a restaurant without a reservation and still get a table (after a wait usually). If there's something you absolutely must do I would make your reservation early. From what i've read DL counter service is a lot better than WDW counter service.

Thanks!

Hope my answers help! (Above in bold.)

This thread will have lots of good info (most of it is up to date) for you: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.
This thread will help, too: List of changes since summer 2014.

OK, crowds: there really aren't any consistently low crowd times any more. Disney does a really good job of pumping up the numbers whenever they think they need to by offering promotions or by having special events. That said, since Easter will be early next year, most spring breaks should be over by the last week of April. So that week might be good. Grad Nites start in early May and run through mid-June. Some people don't mind GNs and some people avoid them at all costs. It helps to be prepared. Memorial Day Weekend is the traditional kickoff for summer at DLR, so you will have shorter hours before then. Also, the fireworks (and possibly F!) will be weekends only (Fri., Sat., Sun.). WOC usually shows every night. Starting Memorial Day Weekend, the nighttime entertainment shows will be every night and the park hours will be longer.
Park hoppers? Yes. The parks are so close together (think the length of a football field) that hopping is really easy.
We always recommend 5 days if possible, 4 minimum. It really helps to tour the parks at a relaxed pace, enjoying the details and the atmosphere, being able to take in the shows, and not stress if there are crowds. That would also allow you time to enjoy a few TS meals and maybe some Dining Packages.
Dining Reservations can be made by phone or online 60 days in advance. Don't worry if your dates don't show up exactly 60 days out. Soometimes things are a little slow to load. The time frame is the same for everyone, but if you are a guest on site, you can make all your reservations at once instead of waiting day by day. (Disney Vacation Planning can help you.)
The best source I've found (and I'm biased)? Right here! Really and truly -- just keep coming back and asking questions. It's amazing what people here know and can share with you.

This thread will have lots of good info (most of it is up to date) for you: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

OK, crowds: there really aren't any consistently low crowd times any more. Disney does a really good job of pumping up the numbers whenever they think they need to by offering promotions or by having special events. That said, since Easter will be early next year, most spring breaks should be over by the last week of April. So that week might be good. Grad Nites start in early May and run through mid-June. Some people don't mind GNs and some people avoid them at all costs. It helps to be prepared. Memorial Day Weekend is the traditional kickoff for summer at DLR, so you will have shorter hours before then. Also, the fireworks (and possible F!) will be weekends only (Fri., Sat., Sun.). WOC usually shows every night. Starting Memorial Day Weekend, the nighttime entertainment shows every night and the park hours will be longer.

Thanks so much! I'll go look at that thread right now.

Am I correct in understanding that dining reservations are not made online like they are for WDW?

Grad Nites -- that was my last time at DLR -- my Grad Night in '89. It was SO fun. I'm glad to hear they still do those...but I think I'd prefer to avoid them if possible. So there are no fireworks at all during the week in April and May? Good to know! Our timeframe will probably come down to whether my husband decides to go with us or not. We'd like to do end of April/early May as that aligns with when our younger daughter finishes her first year of college, so it would be before she has to be back at work for her summer job, but unfortunately it's also before my husband is out for the summer (he's a teacher). He doesn't love Disney as much as our daughters and I do, and we've done several of our trips without him. If he does an Alaska fishing trip next summer with my Dad, then the girls and I will do Disney without him and probably go before mid-May when our daughter would have to be back out here for her summer job.

Sounds like the planning isn't as intense as it is for a WDW trip -- that's good!

First question -- crowds -- we're looking at the last week of April or first couple of weeks of May...or else sometime in June. When do summer crowds start building? I'm sure April/May crowds would be lower than June...
It's been hard to predict crowds lately, but there really doesn't seem to be any non-busy periods anymore. Easter is on April 1 in 2018, so Spring Break season is likely to end sometime in mid-April. Memorial Day weekend has been for the last few years the kick-off to the summer season. So, in theory, early May should be okay(ish)...but we don't know if there will be any AP events, ticket deals, etc. that will bring in the crowds. Also, they haven't announced the dates for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon yet (it's been Mother's Day weekend historically). There are also grad nights to contend with in May and June. I've read that weekdays after Memorial Day weekend into early June aren't too bad, but again, there is no guarantee that the past will be good predictor of the future. One good thing about the post-Memorial Day weekend is that the park hours are usually pretty long and there is full entertainment. Prior to Memorial Day weekend, weekday hours are generally shorter and there is less evening entertainment (e.g., fireworks are often only offered on weekends).

I think it depends on how many days you'll be in the parks. If you're going for a very short trip (~2 days), then I would probably forgo the hopper and focus on one park per day. Otherwise, if you're there for longer, I would get the hopper because it gives you increased flexibility.

Think of DLR like Epcot. DL is Future World, DCA is World Showcase, DTD is just outside of International Gateway, and the Esplande is the bridge between FW and WS. The two parks are only about 100 yards apart (you can see the ticket gates to DCA from within DL and vice-a-versa), so hopping is much easier at DLR than at WDW.

Third question -- length of trip -- I'm thinking three or four days. Our WDW trips have ranged from 1-2 day quick weekend trips (usually for MVMCP or MNSSHP) to 8-10 days with 4-5 park days, a water park day, a Disney Springs day, and a non-scheduled day or two to relax, explore, etc. For DLR I'm thinking three to four days, no non-park days. Thoughts?
Three days is a good amount of time to get a sense of DLR and what it has to offer. I don't think you'll be able to do everything (or even most things), but you can (usually) get a fair amount done. I would opt for 4 to 5 days if you can, because that will give you more time to see and do things and you can tour at a more leisurely rate.

How far in advance can/should dining reservations be made? Are those timeframes dependent on whether you're staying onsite or not?
Dining reservations open 60-days in advance, one day at a time. There is no advantage to staying onsite for dining. In general, dining reservations at DLR are not as hard to get as they are at WDW. You can make them online or by calling, but if something shows as being unavailable at the 60-day mark, it probably means they haven't loaded them into the system yet. Very few things will book up on the first day when it's offered (usually tied to some special event/one-night only offering).

As you mentioned you've been to WDW, it's worth taking a look at HydroGuy's A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

While you probably won't need it right now, the official Disneyland App is very helpful once you're in the parks.

... Am I correct in understanding that dining reservations are not made online like they are for WDW?...

You can make your reservations online using the DLR website, but if you can't find the date/time that you want, you might need to call the Dine Line. Both ways work fine.

[/QUOTE] ... So there are no fireworks at all during the week in April and May?... Sounds like the planning isn't as intense as it is for a WDW trip -- that's good![/QUOTE]

There are fireworks every night during Spring Break, but after that the hours and entertainment schedule return to the low (non-peak) season schedule until Memorial Day Weekend. You're right that planning in general for DLR is much more relaxed than it is for WDW. That's one of the special things about DLR. :)

We went the first week of May in 2016 and it was fine crowd-wise. It was just after the food & wine festival ended and before a Dapper Day and Grad nights started. Park hours were shorter and entertainment offerings were limited though.

Yes, I would do park hoppers. I think we end up hopping every day depending on interests and crowds. We have also done things like spent most of the day in DCA, but hopped over to DL for a parade or Mickey's Magical Map or to repeat a favorite ride. Parks are so close it is worth the flexibility to me.

We always do 3-day park hoppers as that is what I get for a significant discount through work, but I think 4-day would be ideal.

60 days out for dining reservation - no advantage for on-site guests. I have not found it to be a big deal to book right at 60-days. In fact, I just checked our upcoming dinner reservations, which is like 40 days out, and every time slot is still available.

Besides this board, I love the Disneyland Daily blog/FB page for planning help.

What's the best touring resource, aside from the DIS? I like to read planning books (relied heavily on the Unofficial Guide for our first WDW trip, before I discovered the DIS). I've also started listening to the podcast for information.

Thanks!

April and May are DEFINITELY better than June, you are right to assume this. I'm wondering which weeks are the typical Spring Break weeks, I would avoid those as well..

Park Hoppers are always a plus, especially if for example you are in DCA one day but you aren't going to be seeing World of Color, you could switch over to Disneyland to enjoy the parade/fireworks..

Apart from online message boards I don't rely to much on books, maybe getting the Disneyland DVD from Disneyland.com would be fun/give you some extra tips?

I think you can make reservations like 60 days in advance or something.. Don't quote me lol. The main restaurants you are going to need to book in advance are Blue Bayou if you are going there, and maybe Carthay Circle in DCA, the rest of the restaurants in both parks that take reservations can be done days before typically.

Other thoughts, Disneyland has been pretty busy lately, take advantage of the less busy times like the morning. You can knock out a couple solid rides in the wee morning hours that would take you 3 hours to get through later in the day. It's worth getting up early believe me!

Following because we are looking at our first trip in April.

June this year, in my experience, has been MUCH less crowded than April and May were. They offered a steal of a 3 day ticket deal to So Cal residents this year and it was INSANE until it expired Memorial Day weekend. My kids ended school on June 8th this year and we have made several trips to the parks since and it has been comparatively empty.

If early June is an option, go then. I recommend making a Saturday part of your plans. Many APs are blocked out on Sarurdays in June and the parks are VERY enjoyable.

Also, unless they change it, don't make plans around the summer fireworks show. It is sadly lacking...it lasts all of 5 min. I don't really understand why this is. When they do their "special" shows, they are SO much better.

DLR is probably expecting the bulk of the Spring Break crowds to show up the week before and after Easter in 2018 based on the AP blockout calendar. So my guess is that the Spring Break season schedule will probably end somewhere in early-to-mid April. I'm curious to see if this year's (2017) crowd patterns are similar in 2018 or was this a one-off because of the ticket deal. I was there during the Spring Break Season this year (weekend after Easter) and the crowds were surprisingly light. Then when the AP and ticket deal blockout ended, there was a large increase in the crowds in the parks. At this point, there is no way to know if that will repeat itself in 2018 or not, so I would keep an eye on whether or not they do a ticket deal again in Spring of 2018 that might increase attendance in the "normally" non-peak period between Spring Break Season and summer.

Also, unless they change it, don't make plans around the summer fireworks show. It is sadly lacking...it lasts all of 5 min. I don't really understand why this is. When they do their "special" shows, they are SO much better.
It depends on which show they're presenting. "Fantasy in the Sky" is a very short show, but right now they're presenting "Remember...Dreams Come True" which is longer (about 15 minutes, so the more typical length).

DLR is probably expecting the bulk of the Spring Break crowds to show up the week before and after Easter in 2018 based on the AP blockout calendar. So my guess is that the Spring Break season schedule will probably end somewhere in early-to-mid April. I'm curious to see if this year's (2017) crowd patterns are similar in 2018 or was this a one-off because of the ticket deal. I was there during the Spring Break Season this year (weekend after Easter) and the crowds were surprisingly light. Then when the AP and ticket deal blockout ended, there was a large increase in the crowds in the parks. At this point, there is no way to know if that will repeat itself in 2018 or not, so I would keep an eye on whether or not they do a ticket deal again in Spring of 2018 that might increase attendance in the "normally" non-peak period between Spring Break Season and summer.

It depends on which show they're presenting. "Fantasy in the Sky" is a very short show, but right now they're presenting "Remember...Dreams Come True" which is longer (about 15 minutes, so the more typical length).

Maybe it got cut short, but last Saturday's show went from 9:45-9:49.

They probably had to stop the show mid-way due to winds or something along those lines. I've been there when that's happened in the past.

One more quick note to add to the above awesome info & advice--spring Dapper Day will be Sunday April 22nd, 2018. This weekend will be pretty busy with a lot of folks coming in for Dapper Day, so if lower crowds are your thing, you might want to avoid this weekend. They *do* offer discounted on-site rooms (and, closer to Dapper Day, they also offer discounted park tickets, but I don't remember how much they were discounted--I am an AP holder), so if staying on-site is important to you guys and, like me, any of your party finds dressing up in fancy wear to visit the parks a fun past time, you might want to consider this weekend. I'm heading to the parks that weekend (taking my best friend for her first Disney trip!) and have found it busy, but fun on previous trips. More details at http://dapperday.com/spring-2018-disneyland-ca

I'd agree that park hoppers are best if you can afford it in your budget. Unfortunately, the family & friends I've gone to the park with tend to skip the hoppers, so it requires a little more planning to get in everything they want to do versus having the flexibility of hopping, but if your budget is at all tight, it is still quite doable, especially if you are good with planning.

I agree that the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland is a pretty good resource, in addition to these boards & the WDW Vets guide mentioned before.

Have fun & welcome back! I visited the parks a ton around the time you last lived nearby and can vouch that there have been so many changes since then! You will have a lot of fun discovering the parks all over again!

~Meg

One more quick note to add to the above awesome info & advice--spring Dapper Day will be Sunday April 22nd, 2018. This weekend will be pretty busy with a lot of folks coming in for Dapper Day, so if lower crowds are your thing, you might want to avoid this weekend. They *do* offer discounted on-site rooms (and, closer to Dapper Day, they also offer discounted park tickets, but I don't remember how much they were discounted--I am an AP holder), so if staying on-site is important to you guys and, like me, any of your party finds dressing up in fancy wear to visit the parks a fun past time, you might want to consider this weekend. I'm heading to the parks that weekend (taking my best friend for her first Disney trip!) and have found it busy, but fun on previous trips. More details at http://dapperday.com/spring-2018-disneyland-ca

I booked the DLH for Fall Dapper Days after reading about it here. The discount is incredible. I've never participated before but we are really excited to go to to the parks all dressed up! It's important to note the the Dapper Days reservations are non-transferable and the first night is non-refundable if you choose to cancel.

Last edited:
And, just to note, that Dapper Days does request that you do participate in the convention in some way (even one event) to use the discount rates. This helps prevent abuse of the discounts. (The Gay Days Convention in October requests the same thing.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter