Getting picked at Ollivander's?

jamiesmile321

Earning My Ears
My family's been to Universal Studios twice. Once when I was about 8, and another almost two years ago. I became discouraged that I would never get a wand after my first time in Ollivander's when the man chose a tourist kid who spoke absolutely no English just because he seemed to have no idea what was going on. His mother had to translate everything for him, so he took a few minutes to process anything the man told him.

We had waited a long time to get in that once, so we didn't go in again. During my visit in 2016, I had already decided that it was not worth the wait to see him choose another incredibly young kid over me. But when I re-read the Harry Potter books this summer, I began to want my own unique wand. The thing is, from what I've seen, only kids under 10 get chosen. I'm 14, and quite tall. Would there still be a chance for me to get one if I kept going in?

My family's been to Universal Studios twice. Once when I was about 8, and another almost two years ago. I became discouraged that I would never get a wand after my first time in Ollivander's when the man chose a tourist kid who spoke absolutely no English just because he seemed to have no idea what was going on. His mother had to translate everything for him, so he took a few minutes to process anything the man told him.

We had waited a long time to get in that once, so we didn't go in again. During my visit in 2016, I had already decided that it was not worth the wait to see him choose another incredibly young kid over me. But when I re-read the Harry Potter books this summer, I began to want my own unique wand. The thing is, from what I've seen, only kids under 10 get chosen. I'm 14, and quite tall. Would there still be a chance for me to get one if I kept going in?

jamie, I wish you the best of luck in getting picked.

Wear HP clothing etc, stand in front, and look super excited to be there. And keep trying, don't let the muggles get you down! Good luck!

I've been picked as an adult, as have several of my friends! I've seen kids, teenagers, and adults all get picked, so it's definitely possible. A lot of the wandmakers seem to pick people who look enthusiastic, and being near the front seems to help. I actually got picked with one of my friends...we got separated when the crowd moved into the room, and were gesturing at each other from across the room before it started, so we think we must have just stood out to him when he was watching the crowd beforehand.

My son, who is a tall 14-year-old, was picked at the Ollivander's show at USH this past July. I've seen adults picked too. I think they look for someone who will really get into the show and will enjoy it.

I've also heard (although never tried it myself) that if you wear a birthday button, you'll get picked.

We were there yesterday and they picked a girl who was at least sixteen, if not older.

After we went in the shop and were looking at wands, "Mr. Ollivander" came in and personally helped my daughter select her wand. He talked to her for a while about her personality and asked what her house was. That was really cool. He was a great Ollivander.

We were there pretty early and crowds still light... My son was just eager and noticing things and pointing them out to me. He got picked, he was one of two 'kids' that show. I think the handler in line is also asking questions and helping the wand maker to choose. Wear some Harry Potter glasses or something ;) Good luck!

Best of luck to you!

Obviously, your odds are much better if you can do it in a smaller group. When my family did it last time we did it fairly late in the evening (9pm?) when there were few young kids around and there were only two families total. That's another strategy to consider.

My 11 year old twins were both chosen.

But that’s probably because they were twins.

They bought the wands they were assigned but there were plenty others that were nicer!

Go late in the day, closer to closing time. Everyone goes in the morning and afternoon, very few go in the evening, so your odds to be chosen increase. And if you aren't chosen, then go right back again (when we were there, no line or waiting for the wand ceremony in the evening). My stepdaughter wanted each of her girls to be chosen (at separate ceremonies) and eventually they were.

Woudl say go when crowds look light for a better chance. They do seem to lean towards oyunger kids being picked but have seen/heard all types from little kid to adults being chosen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter