• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

getting luggage from rental car return to plane...

dj2

all my little ducks in a row...
I posted this on the transportation board, but I thought that maybe my friends on this board might have some special insights on this issue. I'm trying to get a clear picture on how to handle all the parts of our trip, since my DH will not be joining us.

We're renting from National. I'm not familiar with the Orlando airport. After I return the car, are there luggage carts nearby to rent for hauling bags to Spirit's check-in area? Or, is this a rental place with off-site return and a shuttle?? It'll just be me (with my walker) and my DD7. Our flight isn't until three hours after the car is due back, which gives us plenty of time. I was also wondering if it's a possibility that Spirit has curbside baggage checking in Orlando and I might be able to drop bags off before returning the car. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

princess:

Hi, I don;t know how helpful this wil be but I thought I would post our recent experience. We had rented from Dollar and used Virgin's DD check in so when we took the car back we didn't have our cases only hand luggage.We took the car to a garage at the airport but there was then quite a walk (and I didn;t see any trolleys) to get upstairs to where we could collect the wheelchair we had arranged (we had been renting one during the holiday). This wasn't too much of a problem for us because we had a lot of time and very little to carry and I had my DH and DS to help me. There is a bagagge drop off upstairs but that would presumably mean leaving DD on her own with the luggage for some time whilst you returned the car and made your way back upstairs.

Good Luck - Hope you find a solution to your problem.

Sue

At least in July, when DH and I were there last, National was on site at the airport, so no shuttle to worry about.
I don't think curbside check-in would work (but I don't know).
You might be able to get some help by emailing the Orlando airport. Here's a link to their website.

We have always gotten a cart in the parking lot when returning our car, but for the life of me, I can't remember whether there was an actual cart rental line or just abandoned ones available. I just know we did not go inside the terminal to get them.

Leaving my DD7 alone at an airport even for a moment is not an option, but someone on the transportation board suggested that the car rental company will be able to page a skycap to help me and I'm going to call National Car Rental to see if it's true.

(Call me worried, but I'll probably call several different days/times and take the average of their answers. You just never know....)

Worse comes to worse, we can inch everything forward a few feet at a time. We've got several hours....

Or, I could bring my DH just for the luggage....

princess:

I can totally help!

I did this in Sept., DS (special needs) and I went alone and I used National as well. It was my first time renting a car by myself. I signed up for the Emerald Aisle to make things a little easier through mousesavers.com When I dropped off the car there was a skycap right there that I used. I am sure that had he not been there the gal checking us in could have called one.

Don't worry (I know that's easier said than done) it will all work out!

thanks everyone. i'm going to try to drop off the bags curbside w/o leaving the car (or my daughter) alone before returning the car. Plan "b" if that doesn't work will be just to take the bags with me and hopefully get an abandoned luggage cart, or a skycap. i appreciate all your help!

princess:

I just posted a longer response on the Transportation board but I would try to call your airline. They should provide someone to meet you to pick up the bags at curbside I think just as they'll provide transportation to the gate if you need it. Just explain your situation and be polite but persistent if you get someone who doesn't know how to help. Ask for a supervisor if necessary. Good luck.

Thanks BCV23 for all your advice. I read your responses on both boards. So much gets taken for granted until you can no longer do it....

I appreciate your help.

dj

in case anyone's curious....
spirit airlines just told me today that i can't drop the bags at curbside check-in and then return the car. someone could check a "bomb" and then leave w/o getting on the plane. i'll have to return the car first and hope that there'll either be a cart somewhere nearby or a skycap will come.
dj

Just two weeks ago we returned our rental car to National, and there were skycaps lined up to meet us. I don't think you will have any problem whatsoever with finding a skycap! That's right where they want to be--right where we need them, of course!They were right there available to unload the bags from the rental car right onto their carts. The best part is, they know exactly where to go after that to get you to your airline's check-in! Unless you are flying at a really off-peak time, (like 5am or 10pm) I am sure skycaps will be right there where you pull up to drop off the car.

That's wonderful to hear! Thank you so much for posting.

dj

It's amazing how different airlines handle things. I had a rental car from Alamo (but Alamo & National use the same location) and I was flying out on American Airlines. I went to the Carribbean Beach Resort Convention Center and used their Business Center computer to check in on-line and print my boarding pass the afternoon before I flew out (AA has a 30 hour window to check in on-line).

I drove up to the AA curb-side checkin, showed my boarding pass, checked my bags, drove out and around to the rental car location, checked in my car, walked across to the terminal and went to the security checkin for my flight. It was very simple and easy.

When I arrived at Orlando, I found a SkyCap and when I told him I was picking up a rental car, he said he would take me to the Alamo counter, wait until I got my paperwork, then take me across the street to the mid-car aisle to pick up my car. That's exactly what he did - and he knew shortcuts for the quickest way there. Although it is usually recommended you tip a $1 per bag, I gave him $10 for 2 big bags -- it was well worth it to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter