"GET AWAY, SCURVY!!" – A May 2017 Whirlwind Long Weekend TR

"I Like for my Showers to be On Purpose"
Disney Day 1 - Part 1

Are we finally at Disney Day yet...? ...Really? We really are? ...OH thank goodness!!

Finally, we were going to Disney!! (I expect at this point you're probably as excited and relieved to hear that as we were at the time. :P)

I awoke, sleepy, at 6:23, (according to my Fitbit, I'd slept 4 hours and 44 minutes,) and I got N up shortly after. We packed our Finding Dory backpack for the day and were out the door before 8. Here's what our suite at the resort looked like...

FTP4uzf.jpg
cGOgjZo.jpg
ItGu26l.jpg
P4dzbYb.jpg

I'd planned to make a pit stop at the Publix on the way out of the resort for sunscreen since we hadn't packed any except the tiny bottle of my facial sunscreen, and since we hadn't thought to get it at Walmart the night before. N was still peckish after our breakfast of honey nut cheerios, so I convinced him to get a bag of combos since they're more uncommon to see around home. Yum...I remember Pizzeria Pretzel...

We got to AK, parked, took N's first-ever tram (one of many this trip), and made it to through the AK gates before 9am rope drop! I was torn about how I felt about driving versus bussing—not waiting for busses and zipping wherever we wanted whenever was awesome, but not being dropped off at park entrances stunk.

BbNVOWc.jpg

Our first stop once inside the gates was Guest Relations. I was hoping to get my first DAS applied to my account. For those who aren't familiar, DAS stands for Disability Access Service, and it's for anyone with a disability that prevents them from being able to wait in a traditional queue line. You go get a return time that allows you to spend the ride's wait time doing something else, and then you return to ride when it's your time. I don't usually talk too much about my brain condition or neurosurgery on here, but with my symptoms I thought it would be a good fit for me. I didn't bother with it on our December trip because the weather was milder, but in May and August it would be very helpful because my condition causes me not to be able to spend long periods in the heat without becoming really ill. (Kind of like really rapid-onset heat stroke, no matter what precautions I take, that affects the rest of my day.) I wouldn't typically need DAS for indoor air conditioned queues, but it would be very helpful for anything with an outdoor queue line. I also experience sensory overload much more easily than the normal person, so I get overwhelmed and headachy/dizzy if I'm in a crowded noisy environment with a lot going on or a lot to look at for a long period of time. The CM was very helpful, and we got it set up quickly.

AK was beautiful this morning, and I was starting to feel the Disney excitement!

biV9Omi.jpg
XsSjk6a.jpg
adCdC3L.jpg
zVxmvsv.jpg

After the welcome thing with the parrots, we were on our way in the direction of Expedition Everest. N didn't realize it yet, but we were on a mission: complete his two FP for EE and Dinosaur before we had to be at the tour desk for 9:45 for our surprise Caring for Giants tour which I'd set up as a little gift to us both. But things got derailed when cast members were roping people into meeting Minnie and Mickey with no wait! I couldn't resist! How fun would it be to see the Disney Duo as our very first Disney thing!? So we did. And then I got all anxious in the short line about not being able to get everything in on time.

ChXhsAV.jpg

51wdkpj.jpg

But we did our meet anyway, and they were in prime form this morning! Minnie complimented me on my tank top and was flattered when I told her how nice she also looked that morning.

4EwHNDb.jpg
KCKxyCp.jpg

And of course I asked them if we could take a selfie together:

LiDu2Gq.jpg
4YGDceZ.jpg

Not our best selfies, I have to say. But the main mice were lookin' fly, so they remain in the TR.

With our M&G finished, we kept racing (fast walking) toward Dinosaur, when I saw on my phone that we'd gotten an email: EE was down and that FP could be used later or for another experience. As disappointing as it was for N to possibly miss it, it worked better for us in terms of staying on time. (Note, the first time we experienced something break down. #DisneyIsBroken)

We arrived at Dinosaur, and I sent N inside while I took photos.

jN2nRaW.jpg

I can't ride this one with my brain condition and motion sickness, so N had never managed to ride it before now. I made the FP especially so he'd get on it...and did he like it? ...He ended up thinking it was just okay. And that it was dated. He'd ride it again, but wasn't crazy about it. I guess he isn't going to join the fan club. I thought his ride photo was hilarious because he's not even paying attention to the scary dinosaur!

7iwBE3O.jpg

"Oh, a dinosaur? Really? Not scary. No big deal. You'll have to try harder than that, Disney."

Oh well.

While N was inside I was messaging my mom and sending her pictures. When he came out we got a frozen lemonade because it was already feeling hot and muggy and he loves these things:

6YmcNsC.jpg

I felt artsy for taking the photo in front of the hanging backpacks. The theming at AK is awesome.

At this point, the skies opened up. It became a running theme for the day. I messaged my mom, "And then it started to rain." Whenever it rained from that point on, that's what we said to each other. Another of many possible TR titles. On our way to the tour desk (N thought we were just heading to our safari FP) it stopped raining, and then started again. N, ever the optimist, made some comment about how it was just like getting an extra shower this morning, and I grouchily responded, "I like for my showers to be on purpose!"

YHZ4r1H.jpg

But Disney rain is better than Canadian sun any day, so we were off to check in for our tour!

Last edited:
Here's what our suite at the resort looked like...
Nice!

I was torn about how I felt about driving versus bussing—not waiting for busses and zipping wherever we wanted whenever was awesome, but not being dropped off at park entrances stunk.
I agree... both have their benefits. I'm sure we'll do a little of both on our trip. Probably drive to DHS and EPCOT, bus to AK and MK?

I didn't bother with it on our December trip because the weather was milder, but in May and August it would be very helpful because my condition causes me not to be able to spend long periods in the heat without becoming really ill. (Kind of like really rapid-onset heat stroke, no matter what precautions I take, that affects the rest of my day.)
That sounds rough... I'm glad they can help you out with that.

But things got derailed when cast members were roping people into meeting Minnie and Mickey with no wait! I couldn't resist! How fun would it be to see the Disney Duo as our very first Disney thing!? So we did. And then I got all anxious in the short line about not being able to get everything in on time.
You just couldn't say no, could you?

He ended up thinking it was just okay. And that it was dated. He'd ride it again, but wasn't crazy about it. I guess he isn't going to join the fan club.
I can see that. I mean, I like Dinosaur, but I haven't ever thought it was the greatest thing ever.

"Oh, a dinosaur? Really? Not scary. No big deal. You'll have to try harder than that, Disney."
It really isn't that scary. Every time I ride I sit there trying to figure out why people think it is so scary.

"I like for my showers to be on purpose!"
:rotfl2: Totally agree.

Your hotel room looks nice!

Glad you were able to get DAS!

Adorable PP pictures to start the day!

How can you resist no wait to meet Mickey & Minnie as your first Disney activity! Such cute pics! I think the group selfie is awesome!

Bummer about the rain :( Can't wait to hear about the tour!

Not our best selfies, I have to say. But the main mice were lookin' fly, so they remain in the TR.

No, the selfies are cute!

I can't ride this one with my brain condition and motion sickness, so N had never managed to ride it before now. I made the FP especially so he'd get on it...and did he like it? ...He ended up thinking it was just okay. And that it was dated. He'd ride it again, but wasn't crazy about it. I guess he isn't going to join the fan club. I thought his ride photo was hilarious because he's not even paying attention to the scary dinosaur!

I wasn't crazy about Dinosaur when I rode it either. It made me a little queasy, and it was very jerky.

I agree... both have their benefits. I'm sure we'll do a little of both on our trip. Probably drive to DHS and EPCOT, bus to AK and MK?

I'm thinking this is what we'll do too! (Except for the couple of nights we're offsite.) I definitely won't be driving to MK much if I can avoid it, but possibly to the other parks sometimes.

That sounds rough... I'm glad they can help you out with that.

Yeah, it worked really well for me, and the cast members were great. I really can't complain. Things are sooo much better than they were before my surgery, and most of the time I have a pretty "normal" day-to-day life. Once in a while I have little things that other people wouldn't think of having to deal with though, and those times are when accommodations like this are super helpful. I also like this new system because it seems that with the old system they used it seemed a number of people who may not have needed it were abusing this system to jump the line, but how they do it now it's a lot harder to abuse.

It really isn't that scary. Every time I ride I sit there trying to figure out why people think it is so scary.

I only rode it once and I guess I didn't find it particularly scary either. The scariest part was how much it jostles you around! :laughing:

Glad you were able to get DAS!

Thanks! We only used it a couple of times, but for those times alone it was super helpful!

How can you resist no wait to meet Mickey & Minnie as your first Disney activity! Such cute pics! I think the group selfie is awesome!

I couldn't! They were adorable! I love hitting characters early in the day too when they're feeling fresh and excited. Just like me, I'm sure they start to get tired mid-afternoon.

Loving the start to a fun-packed trip! It's making me excited for mine :)

Thanks for reading! Glad I can help feed the Disney excitement for you. I hope you have an awesome trip!

I wasn't crazy about Dinosaur when I rode it either. It made me a little queasy, and it was very jerky.

I only ever rode it once and I totally agree. Nathan doesn't mind getting tossed around like a rag-doll on rides, but it wasn't his thing either.

Finally getting to Disney :stitch:::MickeyMo::MinnieMo:sulley:(throwing Sully in there as an homage to our meet!)

(Note, the first time we experienced something break down. #DisneyIsBroken)
OK, #1 :)

Honestly I don't find it that scary either! I think it's an ok ride though, not one we go on every trip. However Chris likes it and he won't ride EE so often one of us ends up riding Dinosaur with him while the other rides EE with Ricky. We rode last month for the first time in about a year or so and funny enough while watching the pre-show with the former Mrs. Cosby I was thinking it was a bit dated, also.

Wow that looks really nice! Even though you weren't there long I bet it was great to have the extra space!

(Note, the first time we experienced something break down. #DisneyIsBroken)
EVER?! If so, you're a super lucky lady! We encounter atleast one every trip. We even had the whole park lose power at Universal last year lol

The theming at AK is awesome.
It really is!

But Disney rain is better than Canadian sun any day, so we were off to check in for our tour!
True dat!

Finally catching up. I've been super busy the last couple weeks with a new job and all the girls end of school year stuff like dance recitals, piano recitals.

I'd been having a hankering for these special sweet pink muscat grapes, so I went to the only grocery store that had them, checked that the price was reasonable, and went to the cash...only to find they were like EIGHT DOLLARS. For grapes!!
The price of grapes is crazy, probably even a bit worse in NL than NS. I try to get them only on sale. But we try to have some on hand most times because my oldest DD is type 1 diabetic so she's on a meal plan. Grapes are a good snack for her and easy to bring to school, and she gets sick of apples. Bananas are banned because somone in her school has an allergy, so it cuts down on the easy no mess fruit options.

The sun began to set as we got closer to home, and I snapped this picture (which I persisted to "filter" and post on Instagram.)
Awesome picture!

Welcome to "leg" two of the trip!
Well done on the Dad joke :P We should make you an honourary DIS Dad!

N was frantically trying to sort all the details for his show the following week on such short notice before he could really start doing vacation this weekend, and I worried that this would be the only view of him I'd have for the whole trip:
His art work is great. Has he ever come over to Newfoundland?

He led us over to the "Best in Class" row and put us in our zippy little Infiniti. N and I couldn't figure out how to classify it, not really a car, not really an SUV, etc., so he jokingly called it our "luxury sedan" and it stuck. It had a moon roof, leather interior, temperature control on the AC that you could adjust differently for each side of the car. It was beautiful. And we got it for "economy" price.
Well, as frustrating as the extra fees must have been, it looks like you did get a pretty nice ride out of it. Silver linings...

After the welcome thing with the parrots,
I don't think they did this the last time I was in AK, but it seems like fun, from what I have read.

He ended up thinking it was just okay. And that it was dated. He'd ride it again, but wasn't crazy about it. I guess he isn't going to join the fan club. I thought his ride photo was hilarious because he's not even paying attention to the scary dinosaur!
Kind of my feeling on Dinosaur too. I always ride it once, but I don't rush to do it or feel the need to re-ride it on the same trip.

Absolutely! :thumbsup2

:sulley:(throwing Sully in there as an homage to our meet!)

Sully is one of my favourite characters. I bought a little plush Sully on our first couple's trip a little over a year ago and I'm so madly in love with him. Monster's Inc is a solid favourite for me, so that just added to our Dismeet fun now that I think of it. :)

We rode last month for the first time in about a year or so and funny enough while watching the pre-show with the former Mrs. Cosby I was thinking it was a bit dated, also.

I had forgotten she was in the pre-show!

EVER?! If so, you're a super lucky lady! We encounter atleast one every trip. We even had the whole park lose power at Universal last year lol

No, I should have clarified that it was the first time of THIS trip. It seems unavoidable to get one or two every time, I agree! But we've never been on a trip with as many things shut down or broken as this two-day trip, which was kind of funny.

Finally catching up. I've been super busy the last couple weeks with a new job and all the girls end of school year stuff like dance recitals, piano recitals.

It's that time of year! Up until I finished University and started working this was always my most stressful time of year, and I'm now enjoying the relaxed vibe, until we possibly have kids of our own someday and it all starts over again!

The price of grapes is crazy, probably even a bit worse in NL than NS. I try to get them only on sale. But we try to have some on hand most times because my oldest DD is type 1 diabetic so she's on a meal plan. Grapes are a good snack for her and easy to bring to school, and she gets sick of apples. Bananas are banned because somone in her school has an allergy, so it cuts down on the easy no mess fruit options.

Banana allergy? Interesting! I've had friends with allergies to bananas, but not ones that would be serious enough on contact without actually eating them. I went to school from kindergarten to grade 12 with someone with an anaphylactic peanut allergy, so obviously no peanut butter sandwiches for us, but this is a new one for me. I often take grapes with me to work, but they're definitely expensive. On sale is the way to go.

Well done on the Dad joke :P We should make you an honourary DIS Dad!

Thanks! I would wear my honourary membership with pride!

His art work is great. Has he ever come over to Newfoundland?

On his behalf, thank you! Newfoundland is one of the few places he hasn't been yet. He's slowly branching out in every direction, but still needs to hit AB, SK, BC, the territories, and NL. It's looking promising that he might get there next summer though! If he does, I'll be tempted to go with him. I've never been.

Great Disney morning so far...sorry about the rain...true about it still being better than Canadian sun lol.

I haven't been on Dinsosoar either because motion sickness issues. I'm wondering if my DD would like it though...not sure. I think AK is more about seeing animals for us anyway...

I love the frozen lemonade too..yum! Also your room did look really nice.

I awoke, sleepy, at 6:23, (according to my Fitbit, I'd slept 4 hours and 44 minutes,)

Ever since I got a Fitbit, it's made me realize how inactive I am :sad2:

041_zpss6e0ud5p.jpg
040_zpsb6m2vyxt.jpg
042_zpszppuufqr.jpg
045_zpsfsgq34gf.jpg

Really nice!

We packed our Finding Dory backpack for the day

On our first trip to WDW we carried a children's Frozen backpack the entire time.

Cute picture!

I thought his ride photo was hilarious because he's not even paying attention to the scary dinosaur!

071_zps35rd3sqe.jpeg

That's hilarious!

I've actually never tried this...it might need to go on my list for next time!

I haven't been on Dinsosoar either because motion sickness issues. I'm wondering if my DD would like it though...not sure. I think AK is more about seeing animals for us anyway...

I only ever rode it once and I wouldn't ever again. I think AK is like that for us, too. That may change with Pandora, but for the most part AK isn't about the rides for me, except the safari which is also about the animals anyway.

Ever since I got a Fitbit, it's made me realize how inactive I am :sad2:

I know! On a regular work day where I don't go to the gym, I might take 2000 steps in a day. But for me it's been a good motivator to change my lifestyle!

I've actually never tried this...it might need to go on my list for next time!

I think they're just okay, but Nathan loves them. They hit the spot when it's really warm though.

Very nice. Looks like it has lots of room.

I was hoping to get my first DAS applied to my account.

Smart move especially with the heat.

AK was beautiful this morning, and I was starting to feel the Disney excitement!

Great photo pass pictures.

And of course I asked them if we could take a selfie together:

Fabulous Selfies with Mickey and Minnie.

He ended up thinking it was just okay.

I think it's just ok but DH loves it. Don't know why, it so jerky.

When he came out we got a frozen lemonade because it was already feeling hot and muggy and he loves these things:

We loves these too. I like to get them at the LSU football games. It stays hot for game well into the season.

Very nice. Looks like it has lots of room.

It was SO much space for only two people. I didn't even include pictures of the whole second bedroom and second bathroom! And there was a screened-in porch where we ate breakfast every morning. We absolutely did not need a two-bedroom or that much space, but it's all that was available on short notice and it felt extravagant. :)

All caught up! Very nice pictures of your resort/room. Just wanted to say Nathan's artwork is amazing! Very cool. Love the Star Wars ones especially :)
Can't believe the car rental debacle but at least you ended up with a car. I think taking a cab/LYFT/Uber may have been cheaper though since you already paid for the car and then had to pay on top of that. I'd be so mad, but it is what is is, and you are on your way to Disney so you can't stay mad for long!

Fun morning so far at AK! Cute pics with Mickey and Minnie. Can't wait to see the Caring for Giants tour!

Hi! :wave:I promise I'm not stalking you! Whoa that sounded weird and like I was stalking you...let me start again!

Hi! :wave:I saw you joined in on my TR (thanks by the way I love having people join in) and I actually was reading this TR as you posted!

tenor.gif

Welcome to......
"GET AWAY, SCURVY!!"

I love this title! :laughing:

And if you're visiting my wonky world for the first time... oh my goodness, :welcome:!!! It'll be fun, and not scary, and not too boring...I promise...maybe.

Hey that's me! :wave:

A little background on this TR for those who are various degrees of new: In December of 2016, my then-boyfriend, Nathan (N in my TRs) and I went to WDW. Among other things we did over the week, we also got engaged. It was pretty special, and you can read all about it if you'd like:

DECEMBER TR
(This link should take you directly to the proposal chapter.)

Then we started planning a Disney wedding with Disney Fairytale Weddings for this coming August. If you'd like to follow our plans, you can do so here:

AUGUST PTR

Also, this might make me sound like a stalker again but I did just read your PTR with all your wedding stuff! It might be because my old job was an event planner and I planned many a wedding, but I do love to read about other people's wedding plans! Plus it's a Disney wedding/honeymoon so even better!

tenor.gif

Oh, also, fun fact: we're Canadian. I do my best to remember to use my American spelling on here, but sometimes I forget

And you use U's in Canada! :thumbsup2

And yes, I do say, "eh?" (Naturally. All the time. No shame.)

No shame needed! :cool:

This is what our TEENY suitcase looked like.

003_zpsqbu8z3m0.jpg

How did you do this?? :eek: :faint:

tumblr_inline_nulate1mWr1tvz3m2_400.gif

No diets on vacation.

Best.Statement.Ever.

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!