Germany..

Duckyiam71

DIS Veteran
We are moving to Kaiserslautern, Germany. It is right next door to Ramstein Air Base. Any thoughts, good or bad as well as tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. This is our first PCS after 10 years in one spot. So a little anxious. :goodvibes

No, it is actually in the city of Ramstein, which is next to the city of Landstuhl, Germany. You will not have an exact assignment until you inprocess in Germany, then you will know where you are going. I have been living and working in the K-town area for 12 years, so I can answer any questions you may have.

We spent 3 yrs in Germany and it was by far our best assignment! My advice is live off base and get to know your Germany neighbors, learn the culture and travel.

Germany seems to be quite clean and orderly (relatively of course).
Had a layover there to-and-from Italy, remarkable contrast!

I thought Ramstein was in France- the Metal Group named themselves after an air disaster there I thought... or have i got it totally wrong??:rolleyes1

I thought Ramstein was in France- the Metal Group named themselves after an air disaster there I thought... or have i got it totally wrong??:rolleyes1

Ramstein AB is near Kaiserslautern, in the state of Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany. I was there for 5 years. :)

Some tips and it may seem obvious but it's not. Don't try to make germany the us. No matter how things seem to be like the us ... it isn't. That means your utility bills are going to be your biggest headache. Europe in general doesn't care if you get the notice saying you owe x amount of money. You still owe it. So get your ducks in a row and don't rely on the phone/cable/water company to send you a bill for what you owe. Second you aren't going to get food like the states. There are some good places to eat like cactus and the hacienda for mexican. There is a nice little korean place between vogelweh and ramstein and there is plenty of good restaurants. The macaroni grill, chilis, and the places in the mall are meh. It’s nice tho when you want to get that back home feel from time to time. Vogelweh had a country bar that was REALLY popular when I was there but they shut down a lot of it. TONS of cool places to visit use your itt tours. If you have family it’s hard to maneuver strollers in Europe so keep that in mind. Everything is closed on Sundays. If you are into salsa dancing there is a group out of the local college there SALSA AG. Google it. Babysitting go through your family care center they have a list. There are TONS of babysitters. I actually just went through germany 5 months ago and it’s nice. OH forgot SNOW get used to it. I’d save up prolly like 1000 just to have getting there. Also you’ll get loaner furniture until your furniture arrives. It’s crap but it’ll make due. You’ll probably want a tv when you get there too that’s multi system. AFN is good the local german stuff was garbage. Sky is good but you had to be off base to get it. I like on base because you have both voltages but it’s not a deal breaker from living off base. THE END

Down town K-town (that's the short name for kaiserslautern) Is WONDERFUL in Christmas! It's really alot of fun and so are the bars. You end up getting the korea left overs who continue the drinking. Oh and being in europe at least for af you end up deploying more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter