General thoughts from early June trip

pdarrah

It's nice to know you are real, too
Just some thoughts on our early June 2017 trip to Disneyland

I am writing this free-form as thoughts pop into my head. It is not a day-by-day trip report. Some parts are probably far more information that you really want, so feel free to skip anything you think is boring!

Once I get on a roll, these things often get long. It is likely this will be split up over a couple posts in this thread…

About us (myself, DH50, DS18, DF77, DM75)
We are long time Disney World visitors. My parents took me to WDW for my first visit in January 1972 to celebrate my 7th birthday (we visited a few more times as I was growing up). I dragged my husband there on our honeymoon and he immediately joined me in my Disney themepark love. For several years before our son was born, we visited twice per year and we kept that up until he was in school and it became more difficult. Some years it was still possible up until middle school, but for the last 6 years we’ve been mostly limited to 1 visit per year during the summer. (yuck!)

Our only family visit (DH, DS & I) to Disneyland was in 2008 when we had 2 days there before a DCL cruise through the Panama Canal back to Florida. That was my son’s only DL visit and since he was only 9, there was a lot he didn’t remember all that clearly.

This trip was planned instead of our regular Florida trip to celebrate our son’s High School Graduation. He skipped the actual ceremony in order to fit a week-long trip into our crazy pre-college summer schedule! My parents are very close to him (we live in the same town and he is an only grandchild) so they wanted to come on the trip as well. We have a family business that makes it very difficult for us to all be away at the same time, so they decided to come for only the first few days of the trip. My mother had never been to DisneyLAND before. My father’s only visit was in August 1955 (yes, about 1 month after the park first opened).

Tickets
We got 5-day park hoppers for the 3 of us and 2-day, 1-park passes for my parents. For the first 2 days that all 5 of us were there, we spent 1 day at CA (June 3) and 1 day at DL (June 4). DH, DS & I then spent June 5,6 & 7 on our own. We only park hopped on 1 day and I’m not really sure it was worth it to us. I suspect that it is more useful for people who visit these parks every year and have less of a “need to ride every ride since who knows when we will be back” mentality. I think this applies to WDW as well – I wouldn’t dream of not having a park hopping pass there, but I know a lot of new visitors and very infrequent visitors don’t actually park hop much and the extra cost is a waste for them.

Getting there
We live outside Chicago, so flying was really are only choice. Fortunately, we found reasonable flights with Southwest. The only oddity was that it was, for our dates, far cheaper to fly INTO Orange County and OUT from Ontario. The most cost effective way to handle local transportation for the 5 of us was to rent a car at Orange County. My parents used a Supershuttle limo to get to Ontario when they left and DH, DS & I returned the car at Ontario when we left. Having the car also made it feasible for us to spend our 1 non-Disney day at the Huntington Garden. (DH & I visited in 2009 and knew that everyone else would really enjoy it.)

Lodging
I first looked at the Disney hotels and the cost was just too high for the amount of time I knew we would be away from the resort. When we plan a park-intensive WDW trip we stay at an Economy resort (usually Pop) and none of the DL resorts are anything approaching Economy. My next plan was to stay at the HoJo – we stayed there in 2008 and liked it. DH & I also stayed there in 2009 when we were on a grown-ups only vacation to Southern California and spent a couple of days in the area. However, I wanted to book this trip as a Disney good neighbor package and the HoJo was sold out. Over the years, I’ve seen a lot of nice reviews here for the Candy Cane Inn, so despite the rather stupid name, we decided to go with it. This was a fantastic decision – we loved the location, the staff was friendly and helpful, and we liked the look, vibe, feel of the hotel. The breakfast was surprisingly good for a free continental breakfast and the shuttle bus they run to the parks was far more useful than I had expected.

The hotel is only a few blocks from the bus drop off, plaza area at the parks. We found it to be a perfectly reasonable walk. Our family does tend to walk quickly (even my parents who are 75 & 77) so from hotel room to security check point was under 10 minutes. The hotel also runs a shuttle bus that leaves the hotel on the hour & half hour and leaves the bus plaza at 15 & 45 past the hour. If your timing is right, the shuttle is probably slightly faster than walking and, of course, is much easier for tired feet and legs.

The breakfast included bread, bagels, muffins, pastries, donuts, fruit (usually apples, bananas & I think, oranges) hard boiled eggs, yogurt (regular & “Greek” style), several cold cereals, packets of oatmeal & hot water, coffee, tea, milk, juice, etc. All the breads & baked goods were very fresh. We ate it every morning and were still very happy with it by the last day. There was enough variety to not get boring by the end of the week.

Weather
We had a bit of a surprise here. The week started out as expected – sunny & warm. The first could of days were overcast in the morning, but the sun came out by 10 or 11 and the rest of the day was beautiful. Those early days had highs in the low to mid 80’s. It then started getting cooler. The next couple days were similar, but the highs only with in the mid-upper 70’s and the evenings were getting downright chilly. My DH & DF both ended up buying a sweatshirt at DCA so they could be comfortable for World of Color. The last couple of days were chilly enough that DH & I both wore jeans to the parks for the day. I can’t even imagine wearing jeans in Florida in June! Our last day in the parks, topped out in the upper-60’s. It ~might have made it to 70 for a few minutes late in the afternoon. I think I just had it in my head that Southern California is sunny & warm in the summer. Had I known these types of temperature fluctuation were to be expected, I would have packed some warmer clothes. In general, cooler weather is nice for visiting the parks (except maybe for water rides!) but its nicer if you are prepared for it. One day was rather drizzly, but not enough that we ever needed to pull out ponchos.

<< To Be Continued >>

<< CONTINUED >>

Food
Since I don’t want to go day-by-day (we’ll be here for a month if I try that!) I am just going to talk generally about meals and food in this section. We ate a range of counter-service to fine dining. In general, we enjoyed most of it and found the prices to be higher than we would expect to find at WDW.

Since this was DS18’s Graduation trip, we let him pick anywhere he wanted (not in a park) for dinner for the night we arrived. He has always enjoyed going out for “Nice” meals – some of his favorites at WDW include Yachtsman’s Steakhouse , Brown Derby and Jungle Skipper Canteen. After looking at menus & reviews for Downtown Disney restaurants and those at the resorts, he chose Steakhouse 55. We had a very nice meal and both DS & DF declared the lamb chops to be among the best they have ever had, but we all felt that at that price point we have had better meals elsewhere. There isn’t anything in particular to complain about, just that most of the food we “very good” not “absolutely amazing” and when the prices are that high, you expect amazing.

Most of our other meals were in the parks and we did not take the time for a full sit-down meal during those days. An exception was one evening DH, DS & I had dinner at Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney. We decided to do it on the fly and just walked up. We had about a 40 minute wait, but they texted us when our table was ready, so we were able to use that time to walk around and visit the shops. The food was good and we enjoyed eating outside (even though it was a little cool – there was a heater by our table and we enjoyed the atmosphere). The beignets we had for dessert were OK, but a little doughy compared to Café du Monde (New Orleans) or WDW French Quarter resort. Unfortunately, we never had a chance to try the ones in New Orleans Square at DL, so I don’t know if those are better. The line was always incredibly long when we were in the area.

We also had a dinner one evening at the Plaza Inn at DL. WDW doesn’t really have much of this buffeteria style anymore. I remember there being more of this when I was a kid. It’s kind of nice having the speed of quick service (sort of) but less fast-food type of food. DH & I had the chicken and DS had the pot roast. We all felt the food was good, but there was far too much of it. Thankfully, with an 18yo boy at the table, a LOT of it was eaten. We left behind a couple of pieces of chicken. From reading here on the DIS, I had suggested to DH that he & I should split the chicken, but he didn’t believe me about the portion sizes!

DS loves sourdough bread, so at DCA we twice ate at the Pacific Wharf Café so he could have a bread bowl with soup. We also had skewers at Paradise Garden Grill. My parents particularly liked the outdoor seating there and listening to the Ellis Island Boys.

At DL, we enjoyed meals at Jolly Holliday, Rancho del Zocalo, & French Market. We had OK fast food at Pizza Port & Refreshment Corner.

In summary, we found most of the food to be good but the prices were higher than we are used to at WDW. Probably not a surprise since I’ve always heard that food costs more in California. We did enjoy that there was more variety in counter service type food than we generally get at WDW. I don’t’ think I are a single burger the whole week.

<< TO BE CONTINUED >>

Congrats to your son on his graduation! We are doing a graduation trip next week! My son doesn't know yet...waiting until after the graduation ceremony at school this week to surprise him! Enjoying your review!

<<Continued >>

General Strategy

Once upon a time, I was a major planner and had every day organized and scheduled. Over the years, I have recovered from this and am ~slightly more laid back. Before this trip I read the board here and a couple guidebooks (Birnbaum Official guide for general overview and the Unofficial Guide for the details). I used both TouringPlans and RideMax to try and get an idea of crowds and general timing. My son and I put together a few RideMax plans for the first couple of days when we were trying to see as much as possible in each park for my parent’s 2 days with us. We planned to use them more as guidelines than as absolute, to the minute plans.

The general outline for our trip was:
June 1: Travel day – Dinner at Steakhouse 55
June 2: Huntington Garden & Library
June 3: California Adventure (all day with DF & DM)
June 4: Disneyland (all day with DF & DM)
June 5: Let DS pick – 1st day with just the 3 of us (DS, DH & myself)
June 6: Use our 1 magic morning at Disneyland then decide whether to hop or not.
June 7: Play it by ear
June 8: Travel day – maybe a little time at Downtown Disney before heading to the airport.

From years of WDW visits, we are great believers in being up early and ahead of the crowds. Afternoon naps often happen and then evening back in the parks. We were up and at the gates 40-50 minutes before opening all the days except the magic morning. For that, we arrived at the gate about 20 minutes before it started.

Part of our strategy also involves carrying as little as possible. DH carries only what fits in his pockets (pretty much just his phone & wallet, maybe a comb and a small square pin thing with his “trader” pins). I carry a small cross-body purse. It fits my phone, a little cash, ID, a credit card, a sunblock stick, chapstick, a few bandaids. Sometimes I carry a small camera, but often we just rely on the cell phones anymore. DS carries a Disney fannypack – but he wears it like a cross body bag rather than around his waist. He has his phone, pin lanyard (which he hates wearing, but pulls out to trade) and whatever random stuff an 18yo thinks he needs.

We found security to be efficient and friendly. We had no issues with excessive lines. It only took a few minutes to get through the bag check and then the metal detectors.

Some mornings we took the shuttle from the hotel over and other mornings we walked. The shuttle didn’t always run early enough for us! It is a pleasant walk over. Due to location of the Candy Cane Inn, there is no need to cross Harbor which is really nice. Big open sidewalk the whole way with trees shading it and flowers/plantings on the side away from the street. There is a light where you need to wait to cross where the parking lot busses enter, but it is a very easy walk.

<<Good lord! I’ve written nearly 2500 words already and we still haven’t even entered a theme park!!!! >>

<< To Be Continued >>

<< CONTINUED >>

Sorry for the delay - I am continuing this, just have been busy with work and life. There may be occasional gaps in getting this up..

This next section is as close to a step-by-step day as I am likely to get. I tried to cover how the day played out as it wasn't much like our original plan and had to be modified on the fly.

California Adventure

Our first park day was spent at California Adventure. The park opened at 8am and we were at through security and at the gate at 7:15am. (We used the shuttle that morning as it was running and we were just heading out at 7am as it was about to leave the hotel.) My parents initially thought we were being weird wanting to arrive so early, but as the line built behind us they decided that maybe we knew what we were doing! The plan was for DH to grab Soaring FPs on the way in and meet us at Toy Story – he walks VERY fast, so sending him off on a side trip works very well for us. They let us part way in to the rope drop – DH went to the one toward Soaring and we waited at the one by Car’s Land. The CM’s were making announcements that RSR was down and would be for at least a couple of hours. So much for our original RideMax planning! The original plan called for getting the RSR FP as soon as the Soaring time hit (which was really soon – I think around 8:30) Rope drop finally happened, we walked up to Toy Story (DH caught up with us before we arrived) and it was down too! Fortunately, they were saying it would be up “soon”, so we threw out the plan. A few of us rode the carousel since it was right there and we liked the funny sea creatures. Then DH & DS went on Screamin’ (DF, DM & I just waited, but it was very quick – they told us later they pretty much walked on.) Toy Story was finally opening and we were able to hop right in line and walk on there. We then hiked up to Soarin’ and did that – I think we all enjoyed it, but no one was clamoring to do it again. This was the first time for the new version but we’ve all been on the original version at Epcot many times before. As we left there, we checked the app and RSR was still down, so we sent DH to see if he could get reasonable GoG FP’s. He waited 15-20 minutes in the FP line, but was able to get passes for early afternoon. While he was doing that, the rest of us rode the Little Mermaid. It hadn’t been on my “must do” list since we have all been on it in Florida, but there wasn’t much else anyone wanted to do at that end of the park. The carnival type rides weren’t that appealing. Later in the day, DS went on one or two, but it was more just to fill time. He thought they were OK, but nothing special.

We met back up with DH at Car’s Land and went on both Mater’s and Luigi’s rides with very little wait (15-20 minutes). I assume they were light since people weren’t heading into the area with RSR down. We had an early lunch – bread bowls at the bakery. We sort of felt like we were running out of things to do. Maybe it was just our age group, but it really didn’t feel like a full day park to me. Sort of like Hollywood Studios is usually just a partial day for us. We wandered over to the Paradise Garden Grill area and watched the Ellis Island Boys which my parents really enjoyed. Once everyone had rested a bit, we went up toward the front of the park. We went on Monster’s Inc (cute, but I don’t think my parents remembered the movie.) and did a drawing at the Animation Academy. At some point we were elgible for more FPs and RSR was finally open, so DH grabbed us passes for that. They were for just a little later than our GoG passes. DH, DS & I went on GoG (my parents refused – they have also never agreed to go on ToT in Florida, so not really a surprise.). I’m not a fan of ToT and I probably won’t ride GoG again either – I just don’t like drops, but the theming was fun and I’m glad I’ve done it once. DH & DS then used my parent’s FPs to ride again. Then all 5 of us rode RSR. I think it was about 2 or 2:30 when we finished, so we decided to take a break and go back to the hotel.

We returned around 5:30 or so. Dinner at the Paradise Garden Grill with music from the Ellis Island Boy’s again. We sort of half-watched the Pixar parade from there. DH & DS went on Mickey’s Fun Wheel and I think we may have done Little Mermaid again to fill some time. We went over to Car's Land for sunset (8pm) and it was fun watching it light up and my parent's did a little swing dance. (They have been dancing for years & will dance pretty much anytime there is an opportunity - Sadly, I couldn't make the schedule work for us to be at DL on Saturday night.) The temperature was dropping and DH & DF hadn’t brought jackets or sweaters and were getting cold. We ended up buying them each a sweatshirt jacket! The big event for the night was the World of Color Dessert Party. I had planned this since none of us have ever seen the show, we hate waiting around in crowds and DM & I are both short (5’-0 & 5’3). I’m going to give the Dessert Party it’s own section, so just to wrap up California Adventure….

DH, DS & I spent one other afternoon at CA. DH & DS liked CA but felt like there just wasn’t enough there. I think a lot of that is because we didn’t have any young children in our group so Bug’s Land and some of the carnival ride stuff didn’t appeal to us. We also had no interest in the Frozen show (based on advice here on the DIS I tried to suggest it, but absolutely no one cared enough to wait in a line for it!) I really liked Car’s Land, but the rest of CA didn’t do much for me. The “theming” of the whole Paradise Pier/Pacific Wharf area just didn’t impress me that much and it felt like we were constantly trying to find something to do and there wasn’t much for ALL of us to do together. The afternoon we were there without my parents, I spent a lot of time waiting around for DH & DS as I am severely acrophobic and Screamin’, Fun Wheel, etc just aren’t fun for me. I occasionally end up waiting in Florida but there seems to be more there for me to do while I wait and fewer of the rides that I won’t go on. (ToT, Space, Everest) My parent’s liked DL much more than CA. They said it was OK, but they didn’t think the theming was as good (except for Car’s Land) and there wasn’t as much to do. They did love World of Color and were glad we spent the day at CA so that they’ve seen it.

Yeah, I don't think we'll be spending more than a few hours at DCA ourselves on our first trip in December. We're only planning on hitting RSR, CS, Little Mermaid, Monsters Inc, and TSM. Nothing else interests us.

thank you for sharing about your ticket experience, hopping vs one day, your observation was valid and one that I always support for folks are first time visitors ....that park hopping is for a more intimate experience with Disneyland regular visitors

How did you feel about the travel time differences between the two airports. having lived there myself I have no issue because I know the travel times...but for someone else who is flying out of state, did you find it awkward about the two different locations or is it in your own business flying culture?

Your weather problem was interesting and that happens to folks who visit the West Coast for the first time. Not to embarrass you, but when do you think would be the best time of the year to visit the Oregon Coast? San Fransisco ?

Thank you for your honesty about DCA. another reason for why park hoppers are useless....for first time visitors.....I hop because I like getting wet on Grizzly, napping in Crush and carsland at night. It use to be TSMM, but the wait times are long and I am out of the loop on Fast passes... And as for RSR , that is my soap box, have to be careful as a first time visitor about investment of time in the morning to grab RSR passes and waiting in line...could very well not be operating. I think I actually gave that advice to you when you were seeking help here about RSR..that it could not work out

How did you feel about the travel time differences between the two airports. having lived there myself I have no issue because I know the travel times...but for someone else who is flying out of state, did you find it awkward about the two different locations or is it in your own business flying culture?

We didn't find it particularly askward. Ontario is a little further than Orange County, but we were aware of that and left plenty of time to get to the airport. DH actually checked google maps travel times for a couple random days around the time we needed to be heading to the airport to get a feel for it. I probably wouldn't do the split airport thing if the price difference was small, but we saved around $100 per person for 5 people - a little more drive time to the airport is fine for saving $500!

Your weather problem was interesting and that happens to folks who visit the West Coast for the first time. Not to embarrass you, but when do you think would be the best time of the year to visit the Oregon Coast? San Fransisco ?

I guess I've been lucky the other times I've been to LA. I don't think I've ever encountered cool weather or even rain before! Of course, TV, movies & even music lead us to think southern CA is always warm & sunny ("It never rains in Southern California!"). I don't at all expect the same weather to the North. Have been to San Fran several times with chilly, wet weather! Actually, I even checked the forecast before leaving home and they were predicting weather in the low-80's for our entire week. Clearly CA weather forecasts are about as accurate as those here in Chicago :)

<< NEXT UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS, BUT REAL LIFE KEEPS GETTING IN THE WAY - HOPEFULLY, NEXT POST WILL BE TOMORROW >>

<< Continued >>

World of Color Dessert Party

The short version is that this Dessert Party was worth every penny spent.

No one in our party of five had ever seen the World of Color show. (Well, some of us remember the TV show, but not quite the same thing!) My mother & I are both short (5’-0 and 5’-3) and I didn’t think getting “fast passes” to a viewing area and then having to arrive early and stand around waiting would be good for my parents after a long day. (Remember, we were at the gates at 7:15am). In general, none of us are very fond of crowds. I also, have no idea when we’ll get around to coming to Disney in California again – our last family trip was 2008, so it could be a while! All that led to biting the bullet and booking the Dessert Party. I was pretty happy with the decision, but I did feel like it was a pretty steep price.

Since the primary purpose of the party for us was the seating and avoiding the crowds, the dessert part was sort of an “extra bonus”. DF is diabetic and DH is borderline so neither of them should be eating sugary desserts. I decided that it couldn’t hurt to ask if they could have something else. When I booked the reservation online, there wasn’t anywhere to tell them about dietary restrictions, but there was an “allergy” section. I marked something on the reservation request and then sent an email to Special.Diets@disneyland.com explaining about the issue. I was just hoping they could get plates without the desserts but maybe a little more fruit/cheese. The email I received back was pretty general, but the important bit was “There may be limited options available at the World of Color Dessert Party that meet your dietary needs, however due to the nature of this dining location they are not able to adjust menu items. The World of Color Dessert Party does offer a fruit and cheese platter that may accommodate this request.” A few days before the Dessert Party (the day before we left home) I was contacted by the Central Bakery for details on the “Other” Allergy we had reported. I explained the issue and they told me they would put the “dietary restriction” on their reservation calendar. When we arrived and were checked in, they noted the special diet and we all received a different color wrist band. Our server brought out the “regular” plates first and then the “special” plates. DH & DF were thrilled. They had the regular fruit & cheese, some extra different cheeses and a couple sugar-free desserts. There was a dense chocolate cake that my DF thought was the best sugar-free dessert he has had in the last several years. DS, DM & I all enjoyed our regular desserts. A couple of them were exceptional – particularly the raspberry jam filled shortbread cookie. The dessert portion of the party was far better than I expected. I don’t generally expect much from “Disney Desserts” – we have had blah desserts across Disneyworld and DCL with only the occasional memorable one.

We were seated at a high-top in the 2nd row. We requested that we all squish together at a single table rather than be split up. We were all perfectly happy with the view. It’s possible there were things near the front of the water we missed, but I doubt we took in everything as it was – there is just so much going on. Yes, a few people in the crowd up front put their kids on their shoulders – I’m not sure I would have even noticed if I hadn’t seen a lot of complaints about it here. It did not affect our enjoyment at all. The show was spectacular – possibly the best Disney show I’ve seen. If we do come back to Disneyland resort in the next couple of years it will probably be mostly because we want to see World of Color again.

Our server was fantastic – friendly & attentive. We took a number of desserts back to the hotel in a box afterwards. We snacked on it for a couple of days! Another plus to the Dessert Party is that we had a good view without being anywhere near the splash zone. It was very chilly that evening and getting wet would NOT have been fun at all.

<< To Be Continued >>

Afraid there will be a bit of a delay before I post the last section (Disneyland park). Was hoping to get it done before leaving for non-disney trip, but I'm on the way to the airport so clearly that didn't happen. :( I'll finish it up when I get back home.

<< Continued >>

World of Color Dessert Party

It’s possible there were things near the front of the water we missed, but I doubt we took in everything as it was – there is just so much going on. Yes, a few people in the crowd up front put their kids on their shoulders – I’m not sure I would have even noticed if I hadn’t seen a lot of complaints about it here. It did not affect our enjoyment at all. The show was spectacular – possibly the best Disney show I’ve seen. If we do come back to Disneyland resort in the next couple of years it will probably be mostly because we want to see World of Color again.
Most folks around here know I am the ultimate WOC fan and I am so glad you consider WOC to be among the best (if not the best of) Disney shows. I think it is best. Alas a higher percentage of DLR fans seem to prefer Fantasmic to WOC. I would encourage you on your "next trip" to work that in as it is really much better at DL than at DHS. Sorry you missed it on this trip with the closure. I myself am going to miss the new and improved Fantasmic at DL by only a day next month! :sad1:

:wizard:

Most folks around here know I am the ultimate WOC fan and I am so glad you consider WOC to be among the best (if not the best of) Disney shows. I think it is best. Alas a higher percentage of DLR fans seem to prefer Fantasmic to WOC. I would encourage you on your "next trip" to work that in as it is really much better at DL than at DHS. Sorry you missed it on this trip with the closure. I myself am going to miss the new and improved Fantasmic at DL by only a day next month! :sad1:

:wizard:

DH & I both loved the DL version of Fantasmic! when we saw it in 2008 (and I think we saw it again in 2010). DS doesn't really remember it. I do know that the WDW version has never lived up to the DL version. We tend to only bother with the WDW every couple of years since DH & I always walk out saying the version at DL was so much better! It was very disappointing that the new one wasn't up and running in time for our trip. The timing for our trip was pretty much set in stone, so we just ignored the stuff that was down and enjoyed what was there.

Disneyland

(This section may be a little less detailed – we just had ANOTHER family trip (my parents took us all on a cruise to Norway and Denmark) and since I didn’t get this finished before we left, I am now trying to remember details from over a month ago.)

DH, DS18 & I are all serious Disney fans. We love the history, details and figuring out how it all works. My parents are far more casual – they started the whole Disney thing by taking me to WDW when it first opened and I had just turned 7, but they have never really understood why we go back over and over again. They wanted to join us on this trip just to spend time with DS18 before he heads off to college. This different viewpoint really effects how you see and interact with Disneyland. My parents say they enjoyed the trip, but it is hard to get much from them in terms of favorites or thoughts about the experience. They both agreed there was more to do at Disneyland park and they enjoyed the atmosphere more (other than the crowds). We all felt that you felt the crowds far more at DL than at CA – the narrow walkways and limited spaces (particularly since a lot of area was shut down when we were there – Railroad, River, Tom Sawyer Island, Big Thunder trail walkway from Fantasyland, etc.) just makes it feel more crowded.

We arrived at the gate early every day. Since we were all fine with skipping Peter Pan this trip (Everyone has done it multiple times at WDW) we focused on the rest of Fantasyland at rope drop. I love Alice in Wonderland, so we stared there each morning and then moved on the Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, Storybook Gardens, Tea Cups, etc. (Actually, we only did Storybook once – it was fun, but we didn’t feel any need to repeat it.) Most days we then went over to New Orleans square area and did Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Splash and from there we played it by ear based on ride times from the app, FP return times and such. Part of the problem with trying to have a “plan” was how frequently rides were ~temporarily closed~!! This seems to be a far bigger problem in California than it is in Florida and I can’t imagine why. We did enjoy using legacy fastpass and managed to use 5-7 most of our Disneyland days.

There is just something special about being in Walt’s original park. DH, DS & I spent the majority of our time at Disneyland. We would consider park hopping and then just decide we were happy where we were.

Conclusion

We had a wonderful trip to California. I think my parents enjoyed seeing the “other” Disney parks. My father said it was VERY different from his first visit. It still shocks me that he was there right at the beginning and just didn’t think it was all that amazing and waited over 60 years to return! DS really enjoyed seeing the original Disney park – he has always been interested in Walt and the history of the parks so that was a big part of this trip for him. DH & I have always enjoyed Disneyland. However, we talked about it and we still all think of WDW as “our” Disney park. We are already talking about when we can squeeze a trip to Florida into our crazy busy life (maybe January?) It will probably be a few years before we head to California again. Definitely worth the trip, but not something we are going to do every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter