GCV or save points for WDW resort?

MinBz

Mouseketeer
Not sure it’s possible but if DVC allows me to pick GCV as my welcome home stay is it a good use of points? I’m going to my cousin’s wedding in California and plan to go early to hit Disneyland first. Staying at GCV sounds nice but you don’t seem to get resort stay perks for Disneyland like you do by staying on property at Disney World (60day fastpasses etc). Is it Better to save points for WDW and stay at a good neighbor hotel near Disneyland?

I personally don’t care much for the Grand Cal, which is why as a west coaster I bought Bay Lake. I like many of the offsite places around Disneyland, or if forced to stay onsite I absolutely love Paradise Pier Hotel (it’s just too expensive for me now).

But what’s good for you is up to you.

I don’t know that I would let it come down to perks. After all, you get to enter the parks early every morning staying onsite at Disneyland. (You get the early entrance they are offering every morning, to be slightly more clear) and that’s nice. But I’d let it come down to the resort and what your plans are. If you’re planning an Orlando Disney trip, don’t use the points up at Disneyland.

Thanks. I am planning a trip next year to Orlando as well. The good neighbor hotels around Disneyland allow early entry so I’ll start looking into them and save my points for my WDW trip.

I think it’s worthwhile trying GCV. I felt fully “in the bubble” while staying at GCV (one of the biggest overall negatives of most when visiting DL)
It’s nice having the side DCA entrance, especially when taking a calm side path to GCV when the masses are leaving after World of Color.

Thanks. I am planning a trip next year to Orlando as well. The good neighbor hotels around Disneyland allow early entry so I’ll start looking into them and save my points for my WDW trip.
I'm fairly certain this isn't correct, unless it changed since February 2019, and I've seen a fair number of good neighbor hotel guests turned away. Only Disneyland Resort Guests (DLH, PPH, and GCH/VGC) have access to the Extra Magic Hours, which currently are T/TH/Sa - DLP and M/W/F/Su - DCA. The good neighbor hotels receive no special access to the parks. They are fairly strict in the morning that you must show a room key to either of the hotels to receive access to the Extra Magic Hours.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/extra-magic-hour-early-admission/
Now there is something that anyone with a 3 day or more ticket has access to and that is called Magic Morning. This has no bearing on your resort (good neighbor, DLR hotel, or some other accommodation). This only gets you in 1 time to DLP on T, TH, or Sa for your ticket.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/magic-morning-early-admission/
I'd highly recommend looking into PPH, which is what I have stayed at before purchasing at VGC. The rates are lower of the 3 hotels and the rooms are larger than VGC or GCH and most DLH rooms. Though it might be the least in the DLR bubble with requiring you to walk to the DLH and then up DTD to get to the parks (though in the evenings you can get back by going through GCH). I generally found Costco Travel to be the cheaper option with good deals/prices. However, I will add online they require you to book a package (tickets and room) however if you call you can book room only and still get the discounts (GC, etc) but are subject to the payment/cancellation terms of a package booking.

Personally I find GCV a better use of points if not going to the parks. We really like the resort, and so like having time to enjoy the pools, music in lobby, nice meal at Napa Rose, renting Disney DVDs, the Art of the Craft tour of the Grand CA, DVC Member power walk, ect. Sometimes we will just do one night there at beginning or end of trip to relax. Since DL trips are usually shorter than WDW we tend to spend more time in the parks. A hotel right across the street like Park Vue Inn is just as convenient if you need a mid day nap and free breakfast is nice when you are trying to get out the door quick in the morning.

Just got off the call with MS. The "Welcome Home" booking is good at any DVC resort EXCEPT Grand California and Grand Floridian. I will use my points for a WDW DVC resort and will look into other hotels (non-DVC booking) for Disneyland. Thank you all for the advice. I will look into the other places that was suggested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!