GC Incentive if Housekeeping Declined? Update July 14 - Testing Concluded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickey's Best Girl

DIS Veteran
Update July 14:

Test program has ended and as reported by @HopperFan and will not be returning.

See post#331:
GC Incentive if Housekeeping Declined? Update post #1

Edit: This has been confirmed as an incentive and is currently testing at ASMo

Original post: I read that certain values (read ASSp and possibly Pop) are offering GCs as an incentive to decline housekeeping. Apparently this is being offered as a test at the moment. $20 per night is the word on the street.

Has anyone got further info or been offered this at check-in?
In short, any truth to what I've read?
I'm genuinely intrigued.

Update June 28:
DISer @mickeyfino was offered a GC at ASM - reporting it is in fact currently testing.

Update June 29:
@mickeyfino is checking in again with the following info:

No Housekeeping chart stating
2 nights - $20
3 nights - $40
4 nights - $60
5 nights - $80
6 nights - $100

And continued $20 increments not exceeding 14 nights at $260.

Last edited:
The Swan & Dolphin do this. You can opt for a $5 resort credit, but can only decline housekeeping for maybe two days in a row. If the values are doing it, I would be surprised if it were $20 per night...seems like a lot.

I read an article I think by Chip and Co mentioning this. In the article it said $40 but it was unclear if it was per day or length of stay. I wish they'd offer this at the other resorts I never have mousekeeping it would be great to get some money for that lol

$20 seems a bit much, I do it at the Swan/Dolphin every trip since I don't get housekeeping but every third or fourth day any way, I just don't like them in my room, I pick up after myself and don't really put much in the trash cans. There are always enough towels in the room to last me a while and at Swan/Dolphin they hang a bag on your door with water and toiletries.

I read the article on Chip and Co and it said $20 but not for how many days. We go days without using Mousekeeping as it is just DH and myself and there are enough towels for several days.

We have emptied our trash especially if we bring food to our room or if it becomes too much so there isn't a mess when we check out. If they are going to offer an incentive to skip Mousekeeping, I'm in!

They are looking to cut down their housekeeping cost drastically. I am sure they are testing the waters here, with eventually cutting down on housekeepers they have to employ, but in the future, no compensation. Just my guess.

I feel like WDW is about the only place that this type of cutback would work, lol. Where people are looking for any way possible to get an extra Mickey Bar. I don't think you would ever see a hotel anywhere else be able to get away with kind of thing ... or even attempt it!

But good on you Disney if this is true ... cause I never let anyone in my room. Besides, they want to come by so early! :coffee:

I read an article I think by Chip and Co mentioning this. In the article it said $40 but it was unclear if it was per day or length of stay. I wish they'd offer this at the other resorts I never have mousekeeping it would be great to get some money for that lol
I read the same article yesterday afternoon. Curious to see how this plays out since I'll be at POP in 59 days and would do it in a heartbeat. It's just DS and myself so we would really only need housekeeping service once or twice during our stay.

I feel like WDW is about the only place that this type of cutback would work, lol. Where people are looking for any way possible to get an extra Mickey Bar. I don't think you would ever see a hotel anywhere else be able to get away with kind of thing ... or even attempt it!

But good on you Disney if this is true ... cause I never let anyone in my room. Besides, they want to come by so early! :coffee:

It's funny you say this - we usually don't like housekeeping traipsing through our room daily either but every 4-5 days I like a refresh. The problem on our last trip was we must have been at the end of the list because we'd get back from the parks for our midday break (around 1-2pm) and housekeeping hadn't been to our rooms yet. We had to call and ask for earlier service! The person on the other end of the phone actually said "well, that's not a request I've ever had before". :teeth:

On the note of GCs for declined housekeeping service I'm now seeing it might be $40/3 nights.
However,
I'd like to read some real experiences on the Dis from fellow Dissers before I put a lot of stock into it.

Generally we keep the 'do not disturb' sign up on short trips. If we need or want fresh towels is really the only time we need a maid to come by and even then sometimes we just request towels via phone when we are in the room. Since we just sleep there we aren't making a big mess (and even if we did, I'd probably clean it up myself as much as possible :laughing:)

SPG has been doing it for a while.

The Swan & Dolphin do this. You can opt for a $5 resort credit, but can only decline housekeeping for maybe two days in a row. If the values are doing it, I would be surprised if it were $20 per night...seems like a lot.

The Dolphin cleans on the 4th day and you can opt for resort credit you mentioned OR SPG points! We do this when we stay there and just did a couple weeks ago. I haven't heard anything about Disney offering gift cards.

Just returned from Movies - it was not offered to us. We were in a preferred room. Our room was cleaned every day.

Almost every major hotel chain I stay at offers this now. I travel 3-4 nights/week for work and every chain I stay at (company policy differs in certain cities but mostly Hilton and Starwood brands) offers an incentive to decline housekeeping. I have a ridiculous amount of HHonors points since I travel often and don't need housekeeping when I'm traveling for work. The amount varies between brands but one Hilton brand hotel I stay at frequently offers 3000 points/night to forego housekeeping. I usually have a bag hanging on my door the 3rd day with extra towels and soap and shampoo and such.

I'm certain it is a cost cutting measure but many hotel chains do this now. I'd rather get points and free nights for declining housekeeping than a $20 gift card for the week but Disney doesn't have a loyalty program so I guess it's better than nothing.

I feel like WDW is about the only place that this type of cutback would work, lol.

No...that's not true. I recently stayed at a Drury Inn that was offering bonus points on their reward card if you didn't get housekeeping. I don't think it's unique to Disney at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter