Gay Days? How Bad

peoriaguy

Earning My Ears
WILL BE DOWN AT PARKS DURING 1ST WEEK IN JUNE, HOW BAD WILL IT GET? DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO MESS WITH THIS?

We took my MIL about 5 years ago for her first trip to WDW and stayed at the WL (Grand opening week). We did a top notch vacation for her (she recently retired). Well, the day we went to MK was Gay day (week). Being a flight attendant (at the time) it didn't bother me at all since I worked with many gay people (they are just as pleasant or not as anyone else). My MIL was horrified!!!!!!!!!!! My DH and I just laughed our butts off! There were alot of gays and lesbians, as far as numbers go, in the thousands. We didn't see much "kissing" among the couples, which pleased me because my 2 year old DD was with us, but there was alot of hand holding, which doesn't bother us.

All in all, if you can get passed the fact that these people are gay, then you will be o.k. Chalk it up as a lesson in life to be learned. There were not outbreaks or riots. It was just like any other day at Disney (with a large crowd) and just a little less families! All in all we still enjoyed ourselves.

If you are bothered by the presence of gays, then use the weekend to relax and hang at the pool or try another park. Maybe a CM can direct you about which park is being utilized as gay weekend?

Don't let it spoil your trip.

Enjoy

I don't mind people enjoying themselves and having a good time at Disney no matter there preference for whatever in life. However, that being said my mom and I were there last June at the BW pool and some parents were getting upset because three males probably in their 20's were frolicking in the pool together openly kissing, etc...and the parents were having to field questions from their young kids about it. I'm assuming they parents would have been equally upset had it been two girls and a guy or vice versa but no one went up and said anything, there was just a lot of glaring going on. Most of the people there that week did their own thing and everyone had courtesy for everyone else. But if you have young children be prepared for them to ask questions about a subject you may not be ready to talk to them about (or maybe a Disney World vacation is not exactly the first time you want to discuss the issue.) Anyways all in all we enjoyed ourselves it was just a lot more colorful there that week.

We've been there many times during gay week. The only problems we encountered were with slightly larger crowds. Check their schedule on this website, and avoid the designated park--it's as simple as that!

www.gaydays.com

We've been down there the past 2 June's, not a problem. Simply advoid the park of day in order to miss the crowds.

My buddies family was down there last year, right after gay week ended, and there where may hold overs, it made him very mad, having his kids with him. So I guess it all depends on your perspective of gay people.

Hi peoriaguy. We are going during gay days. Just planning on avoiding the parks where they are going to be . Check the schedule at gay days site. We have 2 small DD's that keep us too busy to notice what most people are doing around us anyway. We went in 98 same time. Didn't know it was gay days then, Never saw anything out of the ordinary. Go and have fun. We will be ther from May28-June6. Can't wait .
Your fellow central Illinois DISer
Jennifer:p

My husband grew up near San Francisco. One day his mom drove up to the city when he was a child and was horrified to find herself in the middle of a gay pride parade. To this day, the now grown-up kids (there were 7 of them) laugh about mom trying to get them to close their eyes and not look (their most vivid memory is men dressed as bumblebees - not of the kissing).

All 7 grew up fine with no serious problems related to this event. I have a lesbian cousin with children so I've already had to do my explaining to my young kids. I wouldn't worry about this event too much. Personally, I think its much better for people to be with people who love them than to be in bad heterosexual relationships that they're not suited for or by themselves just to please us heterosexuals. Just my opinion, you're certainly entitled to your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!