gate check vs. checking stroller

megs1313

DIS Veteran
Bringing a City Mini with us for my 4yo instead of renting this time. I don't think I'll need the stroller in the airport, so I was planning on just checking it with the rest of our bags. But I'm reading that gate checking it might be better in terms of it not getting damaged. Also, there are gate check bags...do I need that? Does anyone wanna weigh in on this? I'm so confused and I'm heading out in a week!

We’ve always gate checked our Bob since we didn’t want to be without it in the airport (very big home airport). Have never used a bag. But we’re also fine beating that thing up and don’t worry about it too much. :-)

It’s sort of a pain to go through security with the in/out of the stroller, but really no big deal.

Good luck!

The first few years we gate checked (with our big double MacClaren). Now we have two singles that we put in one big stroller bag and just check it with the rest of our luggage (and it gets delivered right to our hotel, so much better!). No problems so far and it's much better then dealing with it at the airport.

ETA: When we gate checked it we never used a bag or anything, they just put a tag with our name on it.

When we used a stroller we gate checked it (no bag, just a tag) but I always used it in the airport

We have the City Mini GT Double and have always used it in the airport and gate checked it with a bag (because it was an investment that I want to protect $$$!) We have the official Baby Jogger bag for the stroller and it's pretty heavy duty. Even so, it must really have been handled pretty roughly because the bag is actually scuffed and torn in a few spots. I hate to think what would have happened to the stroller without the bag. I looked into this prior to purchasing the bag and found a variety of answers that went both ways (people with damaged strollers and also those who's strollers were just fine.) We also have a regular thin orange "gate check" bag that we sometimes slide overtop the Baby Jogger bag. We paid a lot for the stroller though and are willing to take a few extra steps to ensure it's protected.

Yes we gate check our city mini with a bag. Important to have the gate agent tag your BAG and not the city mini. Wouldn’t do it any other way. Make sure you remember your hook for bags on the stroller and I keep a folded bag under the stroller to catch all the things we accumulate throughout the trip for when it needs to be folded.

We gate checked it & used it to roll our carryons in it when the kids didn't ride in it
Never disadvantaged us b/c it was always out on the gangway when we deplaned

We are debating this same thing for our April trip, how long does it take to get your stroller when you gate check? We have to connect in Dallas and it’s kind of a short connection plus we are on Southwest so we want to be ready to board when our group is called for the second flight so we get seats together. Any info on the gate check experience is helpful!

When we used strollers (miss those days) we gate checked. It was easier to put the kid in the stroller when walking to/from the gate or at least throwing a lot of our bags/car seat in the stroller and the child walked.

We almost always fly Spirit and have not really had any complaints until our last trip. We have a Double City Mini GT that we bought right before our trip because we had to upgrade from a single City Mini GT because we upgraded to two little kids.. lol. We gate checked the stroller on the way to Orlando with no problems. (we did use a stroller bag) When we left Orlando and returned to our home airport, the stroller was so bent that both sides of the stroller wouldn't touch the ground and it wouldn't completely unfold. With two babies and four other kids, we were left to carry all the luggage and the destroyed stroller. I'm just glad it happened on the way home and not on the way to Disney. We had to replace a BRAND NEW $600 stroller so I do plan to take it again when we go this upcoming trip. It is such a comfortable, easy to use stroller I will take my chances. So, long story short, I don't think there is a best way to do it other than if you have little kids, it is much easier to have it in the airport and gate check it.

We checked our stroller in with our bags for the first time on our last trip. It was so nice not to have to drag it through security or to have to use the elevators. Of course, at our home airport, it seems like you are constantly changing levels, so there's a lot of up and down elevators or escalators.

I wasn’t comfortable traveling with our expensive Bob so I always brought a cheap umbrella stroller for traveling, and rented City Mini for parks from Kingdom Stroller. We gate check umbrella and put in a bag. One time there was black liquid (oil?) on the bag so I was happy the stroller was protected from that.

I am not sure what airline you are flying, but when we traveled last September American had just started a new policy and we had no choice but to check in our Double City Mini GT. Three different people told us that any stroller over a certain weight and all doubles need to be checked at the counter. There was no charge to check it, but we were not permitted to gate check it.

Most of my experience come from flying internationally with strollers. Gate checking almost never worked out seemlessly. They have been damaged, lost, delayed, returned to our departing point for reasons unknown.
Then we started checking the stroller, *usually* made it on time and I've never had one damaged. I always cringe when it gets slammed onto the carousel in baggage claim, though.
Since then we have upgraded to pediatric adaptive stroller/wheelchair. It's gate checked and tagged as a wheelchair and, so far, has always been right there when I get off.

Best experience was with a borrowed sit and stroll. Wheeled it right to the seat in the plane. Collapsed the handle and installed it into the seat. Did the reverse when we got off.

When gate checking, I have had waits of anywhere from 30 minutes to it already being there when I deplaned. Just depends on so many factors.

Bringing a City Mini with us for my 4yo instead of renting this time. I don't think I'll need the stroller in the airport, so I was planning on just checking it with the rest of our bags. But I'm reading that gate checking it might be better in terms of it not getting damaged. Also, there are gate check bags...do I need that? Does anyone wanna weigh in on this? I'm so confused and I'm heading out in a week!

What did you do and how did it end up going? We left on the 30th with a City Mini GT, so we had to baggage check. We removed all the wheels based on late advice I got from a friend and packed those and then secured the folded stroller with a stretch strap with hooks. All went well that way. I'm SOOO glad we took the stroller.

Gate checked my Britax B-Agile in a bag for our 11/17 trip. First time flying with a stroller, and found it to be a hassle. Getting it through security, into the bag, and lugging it around would have been impossible with also having to wrangle my son and both of our carry on bags. I was lucky my parents were with us, but I'd never do it alone. For our 12/18 trip (just my son and I) I will be buying a cheap umbrella and having it delivered straight to the hotel via Amazon. I don't need it at the airport for a 4yo, and will probably only use it on MK days anyways.

We gate check. I GREATLY appreciate my stroller in the airports.

I also put them in one of those inexpensive gate check bags, but I cut out the end so that I can cover the stroller but the handles and wheels stick out (so we can push/pull it along while bagged- it's a double MacLaren so this makes a big difference). The reason I opt for a gate check bag is because I've heard too many stories of strollers coming up broken or wet or who knows what else, and I do not want to arrive with a broken or soggy stroller that we need to use immediately. It's just easier for me to use the bag, as it's not a time consuming process or anything. Plus we store it in the bag at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!