{Gasp} 8 Year Old Doesn't Want to Go to WDW

Oh, boy. I really need your help on this one. DD (8) does not want to go to WDW. :scared1:

We made the mother of all mistakes on our first trip to the World (March '07). Somehow DH and I turned into commandos the minute we stepped off the plane. :rolleyes1 DD rode all the rides with the exception of EE. There was no way she was going "up that mountain". Now, we are planning a Feb. '08 trip. She told me this evening that she doesn't want to go because she is sure that we are going to make her go on all the scary rides. I have tried to assure her for months now that this trip will be "her trip". Her choice about which rides she will go on and the amount of pool time, water parks, etc.

Please . . . tell me that we are not the only parents to "scar" our child. Has anyone else made this mistake??? What can we do to help calm her fears??? I've already tried bribery and that didn't work. :sad2:

Also, does anyone have any tips for the most efficient way for DH and I to take turns going on the "scary rides" separately?

Thank you.

Angela

You are telling your daughter that it is her trip, but you have already decided where you are going (WDW). Seems to me like it's your trip. And you are trying to figure out how you and your husband can go on the scary rides that each of you want. That means your daughter gets to wait for you while you and your husbands wants are satisfied.

If you really want it to be your daughter's trip, why not go on a trip that interests her? You've already been to WDW-go somewhere else. There's a whole world out there.

You are telling your daughter that it is her trip, but you have already decided where you are going (WDW). Seems to me like it's your trip. And you are trying to figure out how you and your husband can go on the scary rides that each of you want. That means your daughter gets to wait for you while you and your husbands wants are satisfied.

If you really want it to be your daughter's trip, why not go on a trip that interests her? You've already been to WDW-go somewhere else. There's a whole world out there.

You make a very valid point. What about asking her if she has any ideas where she wants to go? We love Disney & our DDs do also, but they both also ask to go many other destinations -- where we've also had memorable & dare I say even magical times?

Mine does not want to go again either. Different reasons though, We've been four times since she's been four. She says it's time to try out something new. She may be right, but we have such a nice time it's hard to go elsewhere. Plus we have DS3 and it's tough to do sightseeing or hiking type vacations with that age. But I am really considering the beach and Universal this summer.

We had similar issue and did a split stay. At Disney/Universal. She wound up really enjoying both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter