GAP and buses

Wade Shrader

Mouseketeer
Hello, everybody. I've posted here a few times, but mostly I'm a lurker. We have 4 year old triplets, with two boys with cerbral palsy. One son uses cuff crutches, and is mostly independent. The other uses a platform walker but is dependent for transfers.

We plan to walk through every line (the boys will need to get out and stretch their legs). But we plan to get a GAP to use the stroller as a wheelchair, since they can't walk for REALLY long distances (like the Epcot pavillions).

My wife and I are taking them (and our daughter!) by ourselves, so loading the bus will be a handful: 3 4-year olds, a walker, crutches, and 2 strollers!

We've had good and less than good experiences with bus drivers at WDW in the past (some not being as patient), but we've had extra hands before. Now, does anyone think we'll be able to maybe load our twin stroller as a wheelchair (with the lift)? If that's not possible (or if it's just easier...), we will just load, with probably 2 trips. But we sure will be hoping for some patient co-passengers and bus drivers!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wade

Hi, Wade.
There is some info for you to read about this in the new disABILITIES FAQ - look at the GAC FAQ there, and the threads about using GAC with special needs kids. You will need the 'stroller as wheelchair' notation to get special help from some of the bus drivers, although I think most will see the obvious need. Wow, 3 4-year-olds! Have you thought about driving to the parks instead? It really might be easier for you, with all that equipment.

:)
-

galc.gif
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I have seen drivers allow the use of the lift for large strollers but I doubt they will allow it used as a wheelchair on the bus because it cannot be tied down properly. We have had issues with it at school and the parents have been required to transport the child until a proper wheelchair has been obtained.

Pooh Bear

Hi Wade
I think that you should be able to load your family first, if you find a nice driver, and if its not the end of the day when busing gets really busy. You could ask guest services at you hotel if they could call Transportation for you and find out exactely what to do. I know that when we went last year we found a lot of the drivers to be less than helpfull. But I honestly think that if they see your little guys with their crutches and walkers , they sould be a little more helpfull. Good luck and have a wonderful vaction!

I agree with Michelle about boarding first if at all possible.
Some drivers are really great. Actually most are really great. Go to alt.disney.disneyworld and post. There is a bus driver that frequents that newsgroup. He may be able to give you some good tips.
If you get a driver who gives you a bad time as for a supervisor. I had one driver who was screaming at me because I wouldn't do exactly what he was saying (Couldn't understand him and neither could dh) even though I had asked him to allow me to pull the power chair up to the guard so it would not catch on the back and rip my seat.
My kids got a supervisor who put us on a special bus and had us taken to our destination.

Pooh Bear

I don't have any extra tips to add to what has already been said, just wanted to add some support. I think some of the other passengers will see a stroller and not the walker and arm crutches. I think the best bet is to call transportation before you go. I don't have a number for them, but you should be able to get help from WDW Resort Special Reservations at (407) 939-7807 (voice) or (407) 939-7670 (TTY). The problem I see is that if you wait by where the back door of the bus will be, the bus driver will just see you as someone with a stroller that wants to come on the back door. If you are by the front door, you won't be where you need to board. It would probably be easier anyway for your kids to board at the back door; it is wider and there is more manouvering room once you get on.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter