Game plan for viewing Illumination show

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
Hello, I am very spoiled that at WDW I always book dessert parties to get reserved viewing for evening shows. I am looking for your best tips for that perfect spot when you are willing to invest an hour, but also good walk up spots for 20 minutes or less, as we will have different currcumstanes each night.
Thanks so much,
Judy

Illuminations is focused on the Castle and is a light show with fountains and fireworks - the nearer the castle you are the better view you will get but you can see it from anywhere on Mainstreet. Obviously the further forward you are the less people there are in front of you.
At Christmas we watched it most nights from the end of Main street by Town Square (in front of the bandstand) and got a reasonable view. You can also watch it from the side (near Plaza Gardens) or near the path leading to Adventure Land but will get a bit of a sideways view so it wont be as clear

Illuminations is focused on the Castle and is a light show with fountains and fireworks - the nearer the castle you are the better view you will get but you can see it from anywhere on Mainstreet. Obviously the further forward you are the less people there are in front of you.
At Christmas we watched it most nights from the end of Main street by Town Square (in front of the bandstand) and got a reasonable view. You can also watch it from the side (near Plaza Gardens) or near the path leading to Adventure Land but will get a bit of a sideways view so it wont be as clear
I think you mean the Happily Ever After Fireworks at Magic Kingdom. Illuminations is at EPCOT. But your post is very helpful for HEA fireworks show.

Hello, I am very spoiled that at WDW I always book dessert parties to get reserved viewing for evening shows. I am looking for your best tips for that perfect spot when you are willing to invest an hour, but also good walk up spots for 20 minutes or less, as we will have different currcumstanes each night.
Thanks so much,
Judy
From my experience people didn't settle in to wait very early. It's not like the Disney parks in the States where people will claim their spot hours ahead of time. One time we got there about an hour before the show and were able to claim a spot in front of the castle, and IIRC we sat down the whole time, even during the show itself. It was very laid back. Another time we sat at a restaurant on Main Street and watched from there. If the show hasn't changed significantly in 2 years, it features water projections on both sides of the castle (Peter Pan speaking English on one side, Wendy speaking French on the other). It's difficult to see both from any vantage point unless you're right in front.

If the show hasn't changed significantly in 2 years, it features water projections on both sides of the castle (Peter Pan speaking English on one side, Wendy speaking French on the other). It's difficult to see both from any vantage point unless you're right in front.

I'm sorry to say Peter and Wendy are gone. That was Dreams, now there is Illuminations, which is good, but Dreams was in another category.

Depending on the season people can start taking their place 1-1.5 hour before showtime. Also depends on the weather, if it is freezing people queue later than in summer heat. In front of the castle are the VIP tours, then you get the Infinity AP holders, and the remaining places are for the other guests.

People focus on queueing on the hub, which does get quite crossed, but more to the side are plenty of good places that don't require hours of waiting.

I'm sorry to say Peter and Wendy are gone. That was Dreams, now there is Illuminations, which is good, but Dreams was in another category.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize it was a different show now. It was Dreams both times I visited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter