Galveston Magical Cruise --Thanksgiving week 2012!

SimmerBaggins

DIS Veteran
Ahoy from Texas! I'm Vickie, a DVC member, and we've traded in our points for a cruise next month! It will be me, DH, and DD (15) -- can't wait to figure out all the things to do and see! Our daughter was 7 the last time we sailed on DCL, so she doesn't remember much -- we've done a lot of Carnival cruises and one Princess cruise, since. :upsidedow

Anyway, can anyone explain the Fish Extending (FE) thing? First I've heard of it, and can't really find the "how to" rules, and if it's just for little kids, etc.

Will post a picture of us and more information, later -- anyone else out there going this week? :goodvibes

Vickie

We got our cruise documents on Friday!!! :cool1::cheer2:

It has been so long since our last DCL cruise, I was excited to see what they were going to send us, and I am not disappointed! It's a nice, wire-bound booklet with our luggage tags and forms to fill out. Will post a picture of it later on.

Here's a picture of my DH and I, on a WDW bus a couple of years ago:

ry%3D400

This is my DD, also a couple of years ago -- she wouldn't be happy that I am posting this pic, but she never visits the Dis Boards. :rolleyes:

ry%3D400

We bought in to DVC back in 2008, and have really enjoyed using our points at AKV. It really does feel like home! Our last trip was this last December, and our first time in the parks for Christmas -- it was great! But after that, we realized it had been since 2008 since we've been on any kind of cruise, and we really missed it.

I decided to take the plunge and book this cruise -- but to be honest, I don't think we could pass up having a Disney ship docking at Texas! Shaving the airfare off a trip means a LOT for us!!

I'm still not getting anyone saying they are going to be on this cruise, but that's okay -- getting these cruise documents is exciting enough!! pixiedust:

We had heard that if you book with certain hotels in Galveston for the night before the cruise, you could get FREE PARKING for the duration of your cruise!

I really liked that idea, so my DH looked into it (I hadn't looked to see who offered it). Apparently, the cheapest cost for parking at the port is around $50 -- and a night in the hotel is going to run $80+. Since we are leaving on a Saturday, to get there, we'd have to leave Friday night, and my daughter has school until 4pm, gets home ~5pm. We live in San Antonio, so the trip to Galveston will take ~3 hours.

What are the odds that we can pack everything 2 nights before, and have DD at least 75% packed and ready to go by the time she gets home? Not good, I'm thinking...as much as I'd like to wake up in Galveston and just head on over to the port. Can you imagine trying to get some sleep, and knowing that your ship will be docking in the morning for you to board? What do you think you'd be dreaming about? ;)

But, I like getting up in the wee hours of the morning before a trip. I'm actually looking forward to the road trip, itself!

Yep, I'm weird like that -- anyone with me? :thumbsup2 (knock, knock?) :laughing:

As a special treat, I found a cute video on Youtube where a family is boarding the ship (not sure which one). You know you've been thinking about that moment when you board...when they call out your name and welcome you? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USIwThA1eXU

We're going a few weeks behind, in December. We did join up with the FE for our group. You can probably ask on the cruise meets thread about it, if you haven't already found out and see what they already had planned out for that cruise. Here's a quick link to the meet thread, for finding the right one on the Magic out of Galveston: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2584638

Hope you enjoy the cruise!

Thanks to you both!! We are still packing, with a countdown of

ONE MORE DAY! (after today)
:cool1:

Thanks for the info, and I will check it out, although I am fairly sure it's too late for much in the way of doing the FE thing. My DH and DD just went to Walmart to buy some last minute "necessities", and I am at home, trying to iron and think of what I can pack with one more day of work ahead of me.
:rolleyes1

I should be 'way more excited, but things have been so crazy at work that I feel obligated to keep my head down and try not to trumpet our vacation too much...why must it be that way? :confused3

I will try and post a couple of things tomorrow...thanks for all the reads! :)

Vickie

How was your cruise? I would love to hear the details. My DH, me, DD, and my Mom will be sailing on the Magic on a 4 night in April. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter