Galaxy's Edge: Why not continue reservations?

Would you prefer a reservation system to visit Galaxy's Edge, or free for all?

• Total voters

Smallywood1

Earning My Ears
Before I dive too far in, I know the answer to my own question, but I still think this is interesting. From all the reports I have seen, the reservation system at Disneyland was worked very well to keep crowds fairly low, and totally reasonable wait times for rides and experiences. So my question is, why not keep that system for longer than a month or so? Again, I know the answer, but hear me out. If you told me that on my next trip, i could make a reservation to visit Galaxy's Edge for at least 4 hours, advertising controlled crowds and wait times, I would be all for that. If I knew I would be able to hit the rides and explore the land with breathing space, I would not hesitate to book a reservation and plan my day at Hollywood studios (switching to Florida now). It seems like you were able to make reservations each day as well. Hypothetically, I spend 4 days at World, but I know that I am going to reserve 4 hours on Monday, and 4 hours on Wednesday, I will totally work the rest of the schedule around that.

Im curious what everyone else thinks about keeping a reservation system for 3 months, 6 months, a year? Because I know as soon as World opens to public exposure, I don't want to see it be unbearable to visit.

WDW has far more resort rooms which would make that system from DL much harder if not impossible to implement without going to a complete Class System where the Deluxe resorts get first dibs - maybe DVC gets those...or at the same time - then Mods get anything left, and then IF there is anything leftover Values would get it. But then once slots are limited and not enough for all the rooms (would there even be enough for Deluxe and DVC), how do you determine which Mod guests get in. Or if by some miracle there were enough for all the Mod guests, how do you determine which Value guests get in.

WDW is so much larger resort-wise (meaning rooms) than DL, that same system (resort guests GUARANTEED a reservation) just would not work.

It opened to the public last Monday and are now doing a boarding group virtual queue if it’s full. Crowds haven’t turned out to be what they expected as its working fine.

Reservation system wouldn’t work at WDW with the number of hotel rooms. Wouldn’t be enough to go around.

Virtual Queue is not a "free for all" you are making it sounds like its black friday and there are going to be a stampede of people daily running people over.

The reservations were also all taken for an entire month in a matter of hours. That's not sustainable in the long term beyond a testing phase. You also answered your own question by noting how it has kept the crowds low. Under what theory of business would anyone decide to implement a practice that keeps people away from the parks? So in short, your premise is flawed - to keep the land at the levels you're assuming, you won't be able to implement a reservation system that allows enough guests to do what you assume they'd be able to do.

Im curious what everyone else thinks about keeping a reservation system for 3 months, 6 months, a year? Because I know as soon as World opens to public exposure, I don't want to see it be unbearable to visit.

You realize they already book every hotel room and offsite hotels are extremely booked at certain times of the year correct? I do not see September/October being busier than Christmas, Easter, July 4th, or Spring Break.

Virtual queue gives the onsite guests first crack on EEMH days (or EMH after that expires) to get in the virtual queue. It also gives the general public a chance to get in if onsite guests don't end up filling it up.

HS will be busier than it has been recently but that is a single park out of 3.

Are the virtual ques set up to get into the land, or for the rides and experiences?

I think pretty much everyone would be on board for the reservations as you described them as long as they were the ones who actually got one. Problem is that once the reservations would be given out there would be A LOT of guests staying onsite who would not be lucky enough to score them. Then there would be cancellations. Lots of them. While I believe Disney would like you to have a good time in Batuu, they aren’t going to shoot themselves in the foot to do it. They want to fill their rooms.

At Disneyland it is to get onto the land.
I would be curious to see a virtual que within the land to help explore while waiting for rides or experiences. My biggest fear is that by the time some of us will be able to visit, you'll spend most of the time waiting to ride a ride, rather than explore the rest of the land. Kind of like the flight of passage issue. Only have so many hours in the park,

I think pretty much everyone would be on board for the reservations as you described them as long as they were the ones who actually got one. Problem is that once the reservations would be given out there would be A LOT of guests staying onsite who would not be lucky enough to score them. Then there would be cancellations. Lots of them. While I believe Disney would like you to have a good time in Batuu, they aren’t going to shoot themselves in the foot to do it. They want to fill their rooms.
Agreed. Im sure they have taken lots of this into account already. I personally just want to see such an immerse location be a little less packed than other areas so you can appreciate whats around you :)

I would be curious to see a virtual que within the land to help explore while waiting for rides or experiences. My biggest fear is that by the time some of us will be able to visit, you'll spend most of the time waiting to ride a ride, rather than explore the rest of the land. Kind of like the flight of passage issue. Only have so many hours in the park,
I think more people waited longer for the restaurant and to make l light sabers then the ride itself

Agreed. Im sure they have taken lots of this into account already. I personally just want to see such an immerse location be a little less packed than other areas so you can appreciate whats around you :)
Yes. I’ve been super jealous of Disneyland’s guest experience while watching this all unfold.

I think more people waited longer for the restaurant and to make l light sabers then the ride itself
Which is very promising for the future. Im curious to see the sample size once it opens in Florida as well. I think the amount of traffic will be significantly different.

I thought Disney World would do some type of system as far as reservations go but I feel like its going to be a free for all. I'm planning on going the day it opens on the 29th, I know, I'm crazy so we'll see how this works out.

I thought Disney World would do some type of system as far as reservations go but I feel like its going to be a free for all. I'm planning on going the day it opens on the 29th, I know, I'm crazy so we'll see how this works out.
I never thought Disney world would do any kid of reservation I too will be there opening day. My best advice get to the park early and what every time you think is early is not.

The reservation was not put in place for purposes of guest satisfaction. It was put in place so all the news articles and blogs would talk about how lovely and uncrowded Star Wars Galaxy Edge is, rather than getting a ton of negative publicity off the bat, and to allow Disneyland to work out any kinks in the new attractions and area with a more manageable crowd level. Annual Passholder previews are serving the same function at Disney World this summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter