Galaxy's Edge and beating the crowds?

friedela

DIS Veteran
We visited WDW for our first time in Feb and we absolutely fell in LOVE! Now we are planning for another trip in Feb 2020 but with Galaxy's Edge opening late Fall 2019 it seems not a great time to go in terms of crowds (we aren't huge Star Wars fans). Which brings me here! I know that Galaxy's Edge is opening in Disneyland in Summer 2019.. that would give us 7 months after it's opening before visiting so perhaps crowds won't be quite as bad as WDW?

We've never done DL so would love your thoughts! My concern with California is that the accommodations seem more pricey (we enjoy staying in VRBO places where we have access to a full kitchen). Although flights are cheaper for us to get to Disneyland, the weather is also not as nice in Feb in California.

Help! What would you do if you were us?

Take a chance on Disneyland. VRBO gets a little sketchy due to some regulations in Anaheim, but there are plenty of hotels within walking distance that have a full or partial kitchen-- Residence Inn and Homewood Suites, for instance. In February, it's not unheard of to find something for about $200 per night, sometimes less.

Galaxy's Edge will likely be crowded no matter when you go, but probably not as bad in February as during holidays. Carsland is still kind of more crowded that you'd think considering it's been open for...something like 6 or 7 years now. I expect Galaxy's Edge will be moreso since it's a larger scale project and there's an insanely large fanbase between general Disney fans and hard core Star Wars fans who wouldn't normally visit the parks except for the experience.

I don't think you should let weather factor in much. California and Florida are both warm places. Anaheim is usually in the 60s and 70s in February and the average is only 3 degrees lower. It only averages one more day of rain than in Florida and we've been in a drought for some time, so chances are, it will be dry (or only slightly wet).

The one thing I would be more concerned with is shortened hours. Since it's the "off season", hours are shorter and there will be refurb closures. Also, there will only likely be nighttime entertainment and fireworks on the weekends.

This thread has lots of good information about DLR area hotels: www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/. Choosing where to stay at DLR is very different from choosing where to stay at WDW. If you want a full kitchen, there are now several full suite hotels (some quite new) to pick from that are walking distance to the parks (e.g. Residence Inn Convention Center -- newer; Residence Inn Maingate -- older, but great staff; Homewood Suites -- newer and walking distance to the parks and to the free Toy Story shuttles; etc.). There are also time shares (e.g. Dolphins Cove) that are close. VRBO is not reliable right now in Anaheim -- the city banned SROs, then gave extensions, but now those are running out.
As for weather, how do you define "nice" in February? The weather here is pretty nice year round, especially compared with Florida. Here is another thread with good information: Detailed Weather Data for DLR.
And I agree with the pp: there won't be any "beating the crowds" when it comes to SWGE for quite some time to come after the opening. Crowds will wax and wane, but will not cease -- SWGE will be a game changer, that's for sure. Having park hopper tickets will really help here -- DL and DCA are so close together that hopping is a breeze. Being able to hop to the other park when you feel the crowds are too much where you're at can be a huge help.

Last edited:
We visited WDW for our first time in Feb and we absolutely fell in LOVE! Now we are planning for another trip in Feb 2020 but with Galaxy's Edge opening late Fall 2019 it seems not a great time to go in terms of crowds (we aren't huge Star Wars fans). Which brings me here! I know that Galaxy's Edge is opening in Disneyland in Summer 2019.. that would give us 7 months after it's opening before visiting so perhaps crowds won't be quite as bad as WDW?

We've never done DL so would love your thoughts! My concern with California is that the accommodations seem more pricey (we enjoy staying in VRBO places where we have access to a full kitchen). Although flights are cheaper for us to get to Disneyland, the weather is also not as nice in Feb in California.

Help! What would you do if you were us?
First I'll caution you on VRBO. I believe Anaheim is banning this type of accommodation.
If you are booking a hotel room for your Disneyland trip, the general rule is the earlier you book the lower the rate.
I have a room booked for 2019 September and it's $109/nt for a single 2Queen room. Someone booking the same room in 2019 June or July will pay quiet a bit more for the same room. To save on accommodations, booking early is key. There are a few hotels that have kitchens.

We travel from the Pacific NW and love the weather in February, even January for that matter. The kids always use the pool too.

I really feel it's going to take a year or more for the hype-crowds to level out.
I won't say go down because as many will tell you "There are no slow times anymore".

The parks are busy all the time. It's not often people comment on a non-busy day.
In the past it was possible to predict crowds in the parks. Those were the good ole' days.

I have never been to Orlando...
But my logic makes me think WDW might be easier to avoid the SWGE crowds. Because of the layout of all the parks.

If you choose DLR, plan for busy parks days. Have a flexible plan and enjoy.

Geemo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!