GAC questions....

krismom

<font color=blue>New Rule:<br><marquee><font color
Hi- I appreciate all the info I have gained from this site... now a question of my own.... I will be traveling this July with my son who has chronic asthma. I know all about getting the Card, and have a doctor's note (just in case), but I will be at the the parks early on our night of arriveal to activate our AP's (and check out Main Street!) while my parents stay with the kids at the condo to rest up. Can I get the card at guest services without mu three year old? I just thought it would be easier than doing in the AM and making the group wait... Thanks for any info...
Kris:wave2:

Guest relations at Mk is outside of MK entrance and another at city hall. Our group usually arrives earlier in the morning before the park opens and we have plenty of time to activate our passes and get a gac. I think they will let you get a gac for your child with your doctors note. Also unless you just wanted to go in a day earlier to check out main street, for me, I prefer to save that day just in case I was coming back again and using the pass another year.

You don't need (and they won't ask you for) a doctor's note for a GAC, but (from what I have read and been told) you will need to have your child with you when your request it. The card is actually issued for/to the person with a disability, so they need to be with you when you request it. You also need to be able to explain what sorts of assistance he will need - just "he has asthma" doesn't really tell them anything. Some people with that diagnosis will have minimal problems waiting in line and others will have lots of problems. The CMs are not medical people and may not know what types of difficulties people with specific disabilities/conditions might have. You need to be able to explain what your child's needs are in order for them to know what sorts of assistance you might need.
The GACs have different messages stamped on them, depending on what the needs are. GACs issued in one park are good in all parks and are usually valid for your entire length of stay (You don't need to get a new one each day). GACs are usually issued for the person with a disability plus up to 5 members of their party - there may be times when you are asked to split into smaller groups because of attraction capacity in the special needs area for that ride.

In general, people who use wheelchairs or ecvs don't need and won't be given a GAC because just having the wheelchair/ecv alerts the CM that they need an accessible entrance. If that meets the needs, you don't need a GAC. But some people need a quieter place to wait, a place out of the sun, a place away from other people or to be able to bring a stroller into line and have it treated the same as a wheelchair. The GAC is a tool to alert CMs of that sort of invisible need. It is not meant to (and usually won't) shorten or eliminate your wait in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter