GAC Changes???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol I know going off on a tangent well.

I won't go so far as to get into the entitled argument but it does have similarities. We all say it on here, that just because your GAC was handled one way (at an attraction it was intended for) doesn't mean it will ALWAYS happen that way therefore it's ridiculous to imply that at an attraction it isn't intended for that you can go in expecting something. Act of kindness, pixie dust, heck even "this family is driving me insane so I'm gonna bend the rules to get them out of my hair"...whatever it is, accept it for what it is and don't confuse others with anecdotal evidence.

Just to clarify things, post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is all about GUest Assistance Cards (GACs). You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
Disney does not publish anything official about GACs, so you will not find any official notice of how GACs work; what is on that post is as accurate as possible.

Sometimes CMs are able to make exceptions, so people will sometimes see or post they have done things that GACs are not usually used for. That's a pixie dust exception though, and not to be expected, as was already mentioned.

That's all I mean. While I'd hope those who need a GAC do their research on here about it first, I can see how someone new to the system would get confused when people come and imply that since they've seen this happen it's the way things will always be.

Lock, shock etc.:)).. I know nothing is guaranteed. but I would think someone with a visual impairment (where the GAC is stamped "front of shows") should be able to use the handicapped area for illuminations.
since it was christmas time (early dec) it DID say it didnt' apply to the Candlelight Processional. understood. it didn't say it didn't apply to illuminations.
wouldn't you think someone in wheelchairs, ecvs, should line up in the front, not the back? ok, until we came, there was no one in front of them, but they left tons of space in front of them, and NO space behind them. we stood behind everyne lined up, in rows, behind the rail along the lagoon.

as anywhere, if you choose to sit further back, you can't guarantee no one will be in front of you.

even if we had gotten there FIRST, before anyone, NO WAY would we have stood along the rail and let wheel chairs line up behind us. if we had been there first, we would have sat at the rail. if there were wheelchairs AT the rail when we got there... well then we would have let wheelchairs in front of us as long as we were behind them. but no way should we have to sit on the ground BEHIND wheel chairs, ecvs, so the wheel chairs behind us can see, when they can easily go in FRONT of us.:confused3

it was obvious to me that the rest of the family wanted to sit against the back rail, and demanded that NO ONE stand in front of them. very selfish.

Lock, shock etc.:)).. I know nothing is guaranteed. but I would think someone with a visual impairment (where the GAC is stamped "front of shows") should be able to use the handicapped area for illuminations.
since it was christmas time (early dec) it DID say it didnt' apply to the Candlelight Processional. understood. it didn't say it didn't apply to illuminations.
wouldn't you think someone in wheelchairs, ecvs, should line up in the front, not the back? ok, until we came, there was no one in front of them, but they left tons of space in front of them, and NO space behind them. we stood behind everyne lined up, in rows, behind the rail along the lagoon.

as anywhere, if you choose to sit further back, you can't guarantee no one will be in front of you.

even if we had gotten there FIRST, before anyone, NO WAY would we have stood along the rail and let wheel chairs line up behind us. if we had been there first, we would have sat at the rail. if there were wheelchairs AT the rail when we got there... well then we would have let wheelchairs in front of us as long as we were behind them. but no way should we have to sit on the ground BEHIND wheel chairs, ecvs, so the wheel chairs behind us can see, when they can easily go in FRONT of us.:confused3

it was obvious to me that the rest of the family wanted to sit against the back rail, and demanded that NO ONE stand in front of them. very selfish.

When I got to Illuminations last time, there were lots of people along the back rail and benches, and no one along the front rail right by the water. I checked with the CM manning the area, asked if I could go along the front rail. They said yes, so I did so. My wife sat on the ground next to me, so no one was blocked by her standing, but I figured if they did not want to be along the front, that was fine. But since it is the wheelchair viewing area, I was not going to sit all the way in the back when there was viewing in hte front no one wanted. I figured if they had a problem they would move up.

I wish the CM would tell people in the HA viewing area at Illuminations that they either need to move to the front or be ok with people sitting in front of them. They are very deep areas and it is silly to expect NO ONE to be in front of you when you are all the way in the back!

When I got to Illuminations last time, there were lots of people along the back rail and benches, and no one along the front rail right by the water. I checked with the CM manning the area, asked if I could go along the front rail. They said yes, so I did so. My wife sat on the ground next to me, so no one was blocked by her standing, but I figured if they did not want to be along the front, that was fine. But since it is the wheelchair viewing area, I was not going to sit all the way in the back when there was viewing in hte front no one wanted. I figured if they had a problem they would move up.

I wish the CM would tell people in the HA viewing area at Illuminations that they either need to move to the front or be ok with people sitting in front of them. They are very deep areas and it is silly to expect NO ONE to be in front of you when you are all the way in the back!

oh! BLESS your little heart!

thank you for posting this. Hubby has a hard enough time admitting he is disabled to begin with. but he has finally decided "I have been bumped, bruised. bled, etc. enough, bumping into things rails curbs, etc. people pushing me to hurry up in the cattle pen lines that I am moving as fast as we can in. this last trip he said , toward the end "ok, lets get the GAC, I'll take whatever help I can"

(now, I have been asking him if we could do this for a few years....)

you shouldn't sit as far back in that very deep area, with wheel chairs, and expect that NO ONE will be in
front of you.

my husbands visual disability is as very real as their parents physical disability that made it necessary for them to use ECVs during their trip. the further back he stands, the less he sees. but he was willing to stand behind them. they just didn't want to move up, cause the younger guys in the group wanted a place to rest their butts.

Oh Smidgy I didn't mean you! I agree with your story! I meant anecdotal evidence with the gac/character thing. I think reading your post put that word in my head but now I can see that it might have looked like a reference to your post. Whoops!:scared1:

Oh Smidgy I didn't mean you! I agree with your story! I meant anecdotal evidence with the gac/character thing. I think reading your post put that word in my head but now I can see that it might have looked like a reference to your post. Whoops!:scared1:

oops! I have made SO many friends through the "dis", and then again there have been so many misunderstandings.. it's so hard to figure out sometimes what people are referring to .

I just like to assume that I like most people, so ,most people like me.. and even if we disagree, I still like them

(my favorite person in the world, my sister, and I disagree about almost everything!!! rats)

so , in other words...... kiss hug.:goodvibes

:confused3 I don't get why people always feel the need to come and contradict things like this. I'm not trying to single anyone out but please!! the GAC is NOT intended for character meets!!! Just because you've seen it happen doesn't mean it was supposed to or will always happen!! It's not fair for those people who come to these boards with questions to lead them on saying "we've see it!"

I'm glad that the information about Character Spot in Epcot was mentioned because I have experienced this as well. I think it may be a common occurrence there rather than an isolated incident. I wear my GAC around my neck in a pouch which is visible. Without any attempt on my part to use the GAC, my party was taken out of line there with apologies for making us wait. I was very surprised as I was aware of the not intended for character meets rule. The line that day was very short if that makes any difference?

:confused3 I don't get why people always feel the need to come and contradict things like this. I'm not trying to single anyone out but please!! the GAC is NOT intended for character meets!!! Just because you've seen it happen doesn't mean it was supposed to or will always happen!! It's not fair for those people who come to these boards with questions to lead them on saying "we've see it!"

People post their experiences. I don't think it's "leading people on" to say that sometimes the CM's will do something in a way that is not stated on the GAC. For us, it's been more than half the time with character greetings, but we don't expect it. I always warn my daughter beforehand that there may be a long wait, and I leave it to her to decide if she's physically up to waiting.

My issue is in the phrasing. Someone who is asking about gacs will bring it up, they're told the correct answer and then someone will chime in and say "no it happens." I think it's great when it does happen, I wish they could come up with a way to make it a "real" accommodation.

Typically, we are at a park once a week. We don't go on attractions often. Mostly we are there to eat a meal and walk around. My son really loves playing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom at Epcot and the Agent P game at Epcot. He also loves to visit with the characters.

What SueMN and LockShockBarrel are saying about experiences varrying is so true. One time we may be sent to one entrance and the next time another. One time we might be taken right away and another time our wait might be longer than the stand-by wait. We've found it best to ask at attraction or M&G entrances and the cm will direct you. Be flexible and realize that things can change day to day or even moment to moment.

My son is very resistent to change and if something changes he will instantly say something about going another way last time. Often the cm will explain to him why we are doing it this way now and why we did it that way before.

I'm glad that the information about Character Spot in Epcot was mentioned because I have experienced this as well.

IME, indoor meet and greets have worked this way for some time. Character spot, the old judge's tent, the new indoor options at the front of MK. Everyone has always been very gracious about offering us a place to wait that worked for our family when we asked. As always, sometimes the waits are shorter, and sometimes they're longer

At the outdoor character greetings (which is the vast majority of greeting options), they don't really have enough staff and infrastructure to handle an alternate entrance effectively. However, the lines are "easier", too. They're less hemmed in, and you can join a line right before the greeting, so if your group is large enough, you can sort of make your own alternate entrance.

I was once told by guest relations that indoor meet and greets are considered attractions, and are officially covered by the GAC (and that outdoor character greetings were explicitly not), but that was a few years ago.

IME, indoor meet and greets have worked this way for some time. Character spot, the old judge's tent, the new indoor options at the front of MK. Everyone has always been very gracious about offering us a place to wait that worked for our family when we asked. As always, sometimes the waits are shorter, and sometimes they're longer

At the outdoor character greetings (which is the vast majority of greeting options), they don't really have enough staff and infrastructure to handle an alternate entrance effectively. However, the lines are "easier", too. They're less hemmed in, and you can join a line right before the greeting, so if your group is large enough, you can sort of make your own alternate entrance.

I was once told by guest relations that indoor meet and greets are considered attractions, and are officially covered by the GAC (and that outdoor character greetings were explicitly not), but that was a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

I was told this too - a few times I waited in line then someone else goes to the end of the line & they get to meet - even when I asked about it, love the look the CM gave me after that happen - actually tried to move me up next

OK not Disney but at 6 flags this past year, I was waiting for our turn & another lady came up & demanded that her & her son get on now that they are not suppose to wait at all - there was us, someone in a wheelchair already in line - I actually said aren't we next?? the lady popped off that her child was disable, which of course set my oldest boy off (he is wearing an austic tshirt) so then she backs off -- why do people not understand that they can only have one special needs on the ride at the time & you have to wait your turn:rolleyes1

I told people what my family experienced. That is not anecdotal. For heavens sake, I was asked to show our GAC card. It may have been the CM or it could be the policy, I am not claiming one or the other. I was telling you all what happened to us.

I told people what my family experienced. That is not anecdotal. For heavens sake, I was asked to show our GAC card. It may have been the CM or it could be the policy, I am not claiming one or the other. I was telling you all what happened to us.

Technically, that is what anecdotal means, you telling us about it. As opposed to us seeing or experiencing it for ourselves.

Those of us on the boards for a while have learned to be careful about those disclaimers, as we have had people take one post they read and decided that is what the GAC would be for them. Then they come back angry or disappointed.

Also, by not posting names of stamps or what it does in certain situations helps cut down on the abuse of the system.

My son got his new GAC the other day at AK. Nothing has changed for him. He was given 2 months expiration because of his PAP. He used it twice that day. For Bugs Life they said there was no alternate line and that he'd need to show his GAC for the medical stroller. The person taking strollers did ask to see his GAC.

Someone earlier in the thread was concerned about their son answering questions. My son was not directly asked anything about the GAC. On Maharaja Jungle Trek several cm came up to him and explained to him about the animals when they saw his interest.

Anyone know of changes for DLR GAC's?

We went the 3rd week of Dec and it was the same as always. But my son's habilitation worker has some friends that work for DLR and said they heard there were changes being made where you have to show proof. We're going back in Feb, but I don't want to haul my son's 19 page evaluation report in the park if I don't have too! :rotfl:

I always heard they couldn't ask for proof because of hippa laws, not that I would personally mind though. The crowds were INSANE and it wasn't even Christmas week! :scared1: We will never go that late in December again. The alternate entrances were hours long!

They can't ask for proof according to ADA laws. The person who gave that information was wrong.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. We just got home last night. When I walked into City Hall at MK (with DS and wheelchair), a CM approached us and asked how he could help. I said that I needed to get a new GAC, he pointed to DS and asked "For this young man?", then he went behind the counter and to the back without any further conversation. He came back with a GAC with one stamp. I then showed him the old GAC (two stamps - the other one is hearing related), so he went back, added it, filled out the rest of info, and we were on our way. He never asked or gave me a chance to explain our needs - made it very easy.

One other thing that really helped this trip is that the procedures were very consistent through out the trip - much more so than in the past. For DS that is very good...repetition is king. We only do a small handful of attractions, but do them over and over again.

So as far as changes...the only thing I noticed as a "change" was more consistency in how the GAC was applied. And that was a good thing. Whether that was a true change or just coincidence, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter